• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia Steel Soldiers Rally 2009

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That time of year again! Starting to think about doing a VA rally for Steel Soldiers in 2009...

BUT

We have a couple options here. This year for me, April is way too crowded a timeframe, I have other things already planned. CGarbee and I were talking about the possibility of having the rally later in the year, like August, since nothing rally-wise seems to be happening in the Mid-Atlantic or NE region that time of year. What do you all think of this idea?

Also, as far as WHERE, I liked where the rally was last time, in the National Forest, but there was 88mm Flak afterwards from the tree-hugger-you-military-truck-guys-aren't-allowed-to-offroad-on-MY-Land-Rover-offroad-land-cuz-you-are-cooler-than-I people, and I'm not sure we should put up with that crap again. CGarbee mentioned he had some land not far away, that is privately owned, toward Syria, VA, on the Eastern side of the Shenandoah National Park, that might be better sutied to a rally/show/trailride idea.

Any comments? Questions? Complaints? Anyone want to mail me unknown powders through the mail?

Elwenil

Unknown powders? Not I. I could send you some greasy scrapings off my axles or oil pan if you like, lol...

On a more serious note, I hope I can make this year's meeting. The Ramcharger is running pretty well and I hope to have something on it other than Boggers by late Summer, lol. Keep in mind that it's still pretty damn hot in August, especially when in vehicles with no A/C. :-D I'm game for August though, but by no means am I a definite "will show" as the past year has taught me not to plan too far ahead. Still if heat is an issue, you may want to think about late September or October. Either way I will keep an eye on this and hopefully can make it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really would like to participate this year. Keep us posted, Mike! Great job last year, by the way.

CGarbee

I am hosting a rally at my godparents' farm in Syria, Va on Labor Day weekend. We've got about 2000 acres to play with, a bunch of roads on the property and on the neighbor's land that we can run on, several trails in the area (including a few cut by the CCC in the thirties when they were building camps and working on the Shenendoah Park, and a couple cut by the 29th Division for training before they went to Europe in WWII.

We've got a big field (200 acres or so) for folks to park, camp, swap parts, etc. Even comes with a showerhouse so folks can have hot showers. :)

For those who don't want to camp, we have a couple of motel units, cabins, etc. across the road.

I'll be cooking one night...

I'll be posting details when I get them figured out.

Meanwhile, if you want to check out the place, the URL for the folks' farm/resort is:
www.gravesmountain.com

Labor Day weekend works very well for the folks as there is "nothing" else going on at the farm... They are planning to let me host this on Labor Day weekend for several years... Since a bunch of folks have Monday off, it allows folks to arrive on Thursday and stay through Monday, or to have time to hit the trails/socialize while still having time to travel/recouperate...

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell, is this the same even that Mike referenced above or are you hosting a separate event? It sounds like fun.

jfnemt1ff1

Sounds like fun, I told myself I was going to try to make most of the Events this year and by then I should have my new projects done. I am going to restore a bat wing shop truck and my idea is since most of the tooling is missing expect the gen and the arc welder, I was going to set it up for repairs that might be done on the trails. And carry extra parts on shelfs
John

CGarbee

As Mike says, we are talking about the same event. We'll be getting together to go over the trails, organize things etc. but we wanted to make sure that everyone knew the location and the date early.
Send in your suggestions as you think of them to either one of us (or both), or post them here. We can also talk about it at length at Aberdeen and at Haspin (for those of you who will be at those events).

Best thing about the location is that we don't have tree huggers... Between Mike's experience putting together last year's gathering, and the folks' experience putting on events at the farm (harvest and bluegrass festivals, etc.), we should be in good hands. :)

Last edited:

ATC

I'd like to come, although I think it might be a little far away for me. IF I have a truck by then, that might be too much of a distance I feel comfortable with in a Deuce (comfortable as in mechanically)

It would make for a fun motorcycle ride however :razz:

CGarbee

I'd like to come, although I think it might be a little far away for me. IF I have a truck by then, that might be too much of a distance I feel comfortable with in a Deuce (comfortable as in mechanically)

There are some great two lane roads in the area that are perfect for riding a bike upon... and you can always ride in somebody else's MV when you arrive... :)

Then again, you might be able to convoy up with somebody and thus could bring both the deuce and the bike. :grin:

Elwenil

Eh, Roanoke is only 11 miles further than I have to travel, lol. Get a Duece and you can convoy with my Ramcharger since it's gearing keeps it around 50 MPH anyway, lol.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which is the nearest Blue Ridge Parkway exit? I checked with the park service a few years ago and they did permit vintage MVs to use it at the time.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, you can take I-81 north to exit 247 and go east on Rt-33, to the site, OR, you can follow Rt-29 north to Syria.

Not sure about what exit on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

CGarbee

Actually, we are north of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Parkway near us is Skyline Drive
Blue Ridge Parkway ends at the southern end of Skyline Drive where they all come together at I64 near Afton.

More info on Skyline Drive is at:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driving-skyline-drive.htm

To add to what Mike has said. If you go up I81 to US33 East, you then run up US29 to Madison, then go up VA231 to Banco, go west on rt. 670.

If you want to do a little work with Google or Mapquest, the location of the farm is Syria, VA 22743. We own the buildings on all four sides of the sign...

TheBuggyman

Garbee,
Your godparents own Grave's Mountain?!? We go up for the festival and whenever there are some bluegrass happenings. Wonderful, wonderful place! I'm in all the way and I don't care when it is! August is hot, but if it is a little cooler it more than likely would be here.
My truck will not be converted as of then so I won't start on it until September.:-D

TheBuggyman

Mike,
As in my previous post - I'm in!
I think that this is a GREAT idea! It looks like your Virginia Rally is going to get just a little more popular. It will be hot in August but with the showers.......

I'll bring the field kitchen for whoever wants to cook, I also outfitted it with a gas grill for the "little" meals. Perhaps we can get a turkey fryer and cook us a bird one night.

I also have a LCD projector and screen if you want to show Kelly's Heroes again. (nice touch by the way!) We can get Donny's ultra quiet generator too to power the kitchen, projector and whatever else we'll need.

Let me know of any help you need, I'd be happy to lend assistance in any way I can.

I'm sure that Karl will be going too, we'll convoy up from Fredericksburg and perhaps we can meet up with some folks coming up the I-95 corridor. We could even use my house and shop area as a waypoint for that "convoy".

With the untimely passing of ArmyMan, we should all make an effort to meet each other and share our brotherhood face to face. There are alot of you I would like to meet and alot of you I would like to see again. Bruce, get one of your trucks and get your butt down there!
Bjorn, I would like to meet you and ask you some questions!

WOW, this is exciting!:-D

tsmall07

I would like to come as well, but I won't be driving the "wheel chock" so you guys will have to make sure your parking brakes work! :-D

I HAVE to have my truck running by then, although I hope it will be going in a week or 2... :roll:

CGarbee

Buggyman: Yes, my Godparent's are Jim and Rachel Graves... :) If you have attending the festivals, then we likely have run into each other: I am the guy who runs the showers/concession stand in the camping are for the Bluegrass Festival (always have a Mv parked nearby, this past year my XM813 along with the M274A5) and I'm at the Hay Maze and Pile at the Apple Harvest festivals, etc...
We will have some electrical power available since we have a big current tree next to the showeres, but a quiet generator or two would be nice.
Also, it would be great if you could drag up your MKT as it would allow me to leave mine in NC (where it is currently parked).

In looking at my datebook, Labor Day is actually in September this year. Specifically, September 7, 2009. So the dates I am thinking of would be September 4-7 inclusive.

If you are worried about heat, we have not only the Rose River running through the property (rainbow trout and native brook trout) that you can fish and wade in, but we have a junior olympic pool...

It will be a good time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks