• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia Steel Soldiers Rally 2009

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should be out of here within a couple hours, arriving at the site by noon. I have been using the rear end of my truck as a shed recently, so it has a lot of stuff still packed away in it from Aberdeen and Haspin. I am not feeling up to the task of unloading all the stuff that I was trying to sell at those shows, so by default I will have a lot of sellable wares with me. I know this isn't really a selling show, but if anyone needs some spare parts, I will have some there!

See you all at the rally!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a great time at the rally! Cabell is a MASTER CHEF!!!!! If you EVER get a chance to sample his BBQ.....another mouth full and my belly would have burst, but I would have died happy! I did not take near as many pictures as I should have. The trail rides were awesome with some of them suitable only for smaller vehicles (M37 was almost too big). My only 'complaint' about the field we were in was that we needed another 200 MV's there - 500 if you wanted to fill it anywhere close to capacity!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got back yesterday around 5 or so, had a great time with some great people. I even had time Saturday morning to wrench off the old bent and broken bumper on my deuce and bolt on the new one I got from Bernie in DE.

I didn't take any pictures, I was too busy wheeling and having fun in the camp. Anyone else take pictures that wants to share them?

Final tally was about 15 trucks, jeeps and other MVs in attendance, and about 25-30 people. More than double the number of last year's Virginia Rally. Good show! Plans are already under way to make next year's rally bigger and better!

Orionspath

240 miles and 7 hours in the truck to the Lodge on Saturday, about 54miles on Sunday afternoon to the farm in Luray, and finally 110 miles on my motor scooter back to Alexandria, man I am whooped. I'll look for the pics to postasap. Thanks to Cabell for the hospitality, and to everyone that made the trip, Especially to Rick and his wife Diane for allowing me to ride shotgun in the 1964, M151A1 on the 3.5 hour Jeep Trail, Sunday am.

Adam, I look forward to more adventures like this in the future....truly epic....More to come later with the pictures......till then here are a few from a recovery in Pa. last year.....

Attachments

CJ9/Granny

On behalf of my wife and myself, I just want to say THANKS to everyone for the hospitality we were shown at this event. Our calendar is already marked for next year's rally, and we hope to see all of you again. Special thanks go out to Cabell for a great BBQ meal (even the sauce... whew), and to Carl for the donation of two gallons of gas. I'll leave that story open for someone else to tell. :-D

Great group of people... THANKS again for everything!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a complete moron. :oops:

I had everything ready to go (by civilian truck) and my wife and I had taken Friday off.

Problem- My dumb azz had it on my calendar as NEXT weekend... aua

I can't believe I did that. I've just been running flank 3 around here, getting my property cleared off, and now working on my Dad's house so it might posibly sell.

My wife is FURIOUS with me. :evil: And those of you who have met her, you know that is a very bad thing!

I'm so kicking myself. I know we would have had a blast. Next year, I will have the date tatooed on my forehead. Well, I'll let my wife read post AND call Cabell to confirm BEFORE any tatooing takes place...

Last edited:

CGarbee

I really want to thank everyone who came out for the event. I had a great time, and hope that everyone did as well.

I didn't take many photos, so hopefully, some other folks did and will post them or email them to me (some folks aren't on the forum here). I'll post mine tonight when I get home, I was too tired to do it last night...

We are making plans already for next year. Same weekend (Labor Day 2010, early arrivals on Thursday, late departures on Tuesday so our rally/trailride dates will be September 3-6, 2010). Put it on the calendar...

I'll post when we have trail work weekends as we spoted some places that could use another side trail (or two) and we want to put in another ridge trail (along Doubletop Mountain).

Hopefully, we'll get the bushhog into the field before everyone arrives next year to knock down the ragweed, and we'll get the mudbog in place. We are also planning on adding some side trails to the ones on Graves Mountain (behind the orchard) and another ridge trail on Doubletop.

Hope to see everyone again in 2010!

peecook

great Rally Cabell. the location, trails, people were all exactly what I was hoping for. I'll post pics tonight, I have a few from the trail rides/convoys. hopefully next yr there will be more 2.5 tons, I'm sure the 5 tons got tired of following on the uphills.

rickf

I want to thank everyone for making us feel at home in your group. I know a 151 is a little small for you guys but we had a great time and will return next year. Have some pic's and will get them up tonight if I can find time.

Rick

Chuck

Whose nice bobbed five is that? I know my wife will be drooling over those two shots when she gets home from work. I still wish we could've made it this year. And I've got all the rest of this week off, too. D'oh!

rickf

Here are some pics. Wife was not real familiar with digital camera.

Rick

Attachments

rickf

Some more

Attachments

rickf

And some more

Attachments