• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste oil Filtration system

Murdawg

Well I just got my oil filtration setup going for using the waste oil from my shop in my duece. I got a Oil filter base and 5 mircon oil filter from napa. Base PN 4750 and filter 1749. The only thing I did to the filter base was drill out the hole in the center to let more oil through. They also made me up a 3/4 line and fitting to connect it to the filter base. I had an extra oil drum hand pump that I stuck the end of the feed line to. I then mounted the filter housing to the wall and started pumping. Now anytime I want to fill up I just pull into the shop and start pumping. I plan on running a 75% waste oil to 25% Diesel. Filling her up before a head home with some good old fashion FREE FUEL. I have over 100 gallons at the shop now and am always getting more. One other thing I am going to do is before I put more oil into the drum I am going to poor it though a funnel with a screen in the bottom to get the big stuff.

Cost me $150 or a tank and a half of diesel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Make sure your filter set up will remove water.
Water can migrate into used oil through leaks in head gaskets or condesation in the waste oil tank.
If your waste oil comes from a repair shop do they dump anything they remove from vehicles in there even if is contaminated with anti-freeze, brake fluid or other things you don't want in your fuel tank?

That being said it sounds like a good setup.....pics would be nice.

Murdawg

The waste oil is my own from my own shop. We have a separate drum for antifreeze and junk. The other think is I don't put my pump all the way down to the bottom where all the junk and water would be. I will get a picture of it up before to long. It really works great besides my arm got a little tired from pumping. The oil coming out of the end of the hose looked good enough to eat. I only added about 10 gallons to my tank since it still has a bunch of diesel in it, but there was no increase in smoke. Also it seams to run better with some oil in the tank. Even if I was running straight diesel I think I would add a few quarts of oil to it just to give he injections parts some lube. The new diesel they have was not designed to work in older diesel motors. There is not enough lube in it and it can take it's told on injections parts.

ARYankee

Cool. I'm anxious to see some pics of your setup. I have my own setup I'm still trying to perfect so any input or ideas that I can get are appreciated.

Murdawg

Here are the picture of the system. I don't think you can get a simpler setup than this. I can fill up a gallon jug in about 30 seconds. My truck seams to run better with the oil in the mix. I think my rings where not up to snuff being run so little over the years. The added oil in the fuel I think is helping with compression and I have gotten no extra smoke. Our other one smokes more than this one.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a smaller 5 micron and base i bought from surplus center about a year ago. i was thinking of an idea like yours but have about a 5 gallon bucket with a hole drilled in the side (to act as a water seperator and let more crap rest on the bottom) where a hose would go to the 5 micron filter, then from there into a collection tank to be used as fuel. I was intimidated by some of these waste oil collection set ups people have and always thought that an idea like yours would work also. not saying other people dont have good ideas! I always would like to try running used oil/diesel mix in the summer... it would be a fun little science expirament :D

Akicita

Sounds like a very simple but workable setup. I like it. Thanks for giving us the Napa parts numbers.
The pix don't show what you use as storage container. Is it a 55 gal. drum with a removal lid, or something larger ?

Bighurt

Are there any online sources that do a good job of explaining how to setup one of these things. Even doing my own oil changes it would be nice to start using reclaimed oil in the M35. But I always thought there was a magic ingredient...

I guess I'm looking for a How to from someone who knows what they are doing, that's not directed at the OP, more so others on the inter webs.

I'm trying to learn...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks