• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Welded Rears" on a Deuce??

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that you made a wise choice. There are other deuces out there.....

phil2968

I think the seller was touting weld diffs to make it more attractive (not to us), and to get a bigger price. It did not work. I'm glad the OP asked the opinion of the Steel Soldiers family before he bought. Keep looking there is a deuce out there for you.

tango0508

Hey guys what are your thoughts on this truck I just found. The seller bought it from George in Toms River, NJ.

1970 KAISER M35A2 6x6 army truck
5 speed with high and low transfer case
multifuel diesel engine
27000 orig miles
hardtop for cab with gunner hole
have all the flip down seats for in the bed
have new top for bed with all the bows

comes with trailer with bows and top also

runs and drives great
very good condition

i drive this truck about once every 2 weeks
just installed new battery 1/12
just inspected 3/12

jaxsof

What would be the chances that somewhere along the line someone actuall installed lockers in this truck, and sold it to someone who isn't mechanically inclined, who just assumed (yes ASS-U-MEd) thet were welded?

joshs1ofakindxj

Woah, woah! All this hating on welded differentials is making me nervous!

I trailer a jeep cherokee to offroad parks and I welded up the rear differential for an economical locker. They have a time and place to be used...

But ya, a deuce on the road is not one of them.

Keep shopping! I bought a deuce in good running shape up in Syracuse, NY and drove it home. It was quite an adventure.

If you find a truck in NY, and can verify it is in good working order, then I would say drive it home. Shipping can get pricey!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys what are your thoughts on this truck I just found. The seller bought it from George in Toms River, NJ.

1970 KAISER M35A2 6x6 army truck
5 speed with high and low transfer case
multifuel diesel engine
27000 orig miles
hardtop for cab with gunner hole
have all the flip down seats for in the bed
have new top for bed with all the bows

comes with trailer with bows and top also

runs and drives great
very good condition

i drive this truck about once every 2 weeks
just installed new battery 1/12
just inspected 3/12

All you can tell from the small pictures in that ad is that the truck appears worth to be checked out more closely. It appears to be clean, the trailer has a new-ish cover on it and the price for either one is on the high side. It would be necessary to find out what the seller did to the truck in the way of repairs and upgrades. The bows and cover are worth a few hundred dollars as a package. Hardtop is nice, if it is not rusted through.

I recommend you find a fellow SSer willing to check out a truck with you!

tango0508

I cant phathom the whole welded rears on the Deuce we have all been talking about so I got a hold of the seller again. He says without a doubt the previous owner "welded the spider gears in the rear only" Im slowly learning thing from this site about The Deuce but Im am still wondering if they are in fact welded can it be undone for a lace of a better word. Or would the axles have to be replaced costing a ton of money. The NY Deuce I was looking at is sold so back to the drawing board. Thanks guys for your expertise

M1031CMT

No it cannot be undone. Once it is welded, you cannot unweld it.

Here is one done on a Toyota. Same thing pretty much (was just the first link that came up on google): How to weld your rear diff

Once it is welded, the only way to fix things is to replace the inners.

Ridgerunner

With every Bobbed Deuceout there, there's a complete extra rear axle laying around. You can pick up a rear axle from $250 to $350 (under the right deal, even cheaper).

If you contacted a off road 4x4 shop that specializes in 2 1/2 ton stuff, I bet you could get the take-out spider gears/differnatial for next to nothing when they do a spool or locker install.

tango0508

Sorry Marlboro I missed your last post. Im in Cape May County, NJ.

Maybe I will contact some of the places in Jersey that you guys have told me about like Lakeview Garage or Caveman and see what it would cost to have the guts replaced on the welded Deuce's rears. In the mean time if anyone knows of a Deuce for sale in my area thats road ready let me know please.

NJDEUCE

I bought my Deuce from George in Toms River, he is a great guy. Very knowledgeable! We got a really solid truck from him and put in the extra effort to restore it. I live in South Jersey as well, there are trucks around, keep looking. Fazzio Steel has one for sale that I have seen, probably overpriced though.

tango0508

The guy George in Toms River keeps being given to me. He emailed me and said he only had 3 M35A2's left and they all had rust and two of them needed fuel tanks drained and cleaned. I realize that The Deuce's are old and not perfect for my price range but I'm looking hard to find one that I can driver off the lot and not have to put thousands of $$$'s into.

Most deuces from that area of NJ are beaten like a red headed step child, ridden hard and put away wet. If it has welded rears which fits right in with the "buy a big truck and do it cheap" mentality usually found wheeling in the pine barrens. This truck with the welded rears has probably been swamped in the biggest mud holes down there multiple times. I would not touch it. Now trucks from George on the other had are almost always good if not he is very honest about their condition. I got my first M818 from him. Great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks