• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fabbed up some flag pole brackets and put my flags on and drove around a bit

View attachment 518804View attachment 518805
Looks good for parades and patriotism....

... however:

Your outward canting of the staffs places your vehicle's overall width OVER 8 ft. and may be a problem in some jurisdictions. You may have just crossed that OVERSIZE VEHICLE line.
8-1/2 feet is legal on interstate highways and on many State's highways as well, but NOT ALL. Some cities also limit OVW (overall vehicle width) to just 8'.
Typically, Mirrors are allowed to exceed the width limits IF THEY ARE OF A BREAK-AWAY DESIGN.
Are your flag staff mounts a "break away" design?

Last edited:

rwminck

ColdWarrior, They are definetly not brake-away, I used 1/4" steel and thick wall 316SS pipe. I did not really think of being oversized, but it looks much worse than the picture shows. I will have to go measure. Thanks for the prospective, I would not of thought about it. Thanks

ralph3162

Well I did manage to get the winch in the back bolted in today. So now I can load those big heavy 11.00 x 20 spare tires in the back by myself now. It got dark so the wiring and controls will have to wait until tomorrow. Winch 1.jpgwinch 2.jpg I also got the base today so I was able to finish installing the new passenger seat. Seats.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good for parades and patriotism....

... however:

Your outward canting of the staffs places your vehicle's overall width OVER 8 ft. and may be a problem in some jurisdictions. You may have just crossed that OVERSIZE VEHICLE line.
8-1/2 feet is legal on interstate highways and on many State's highways as well, but NOT ALL. Some cities also limit OVW (overall vehicle width) to just 8'.
Typically, Mirrors are allowed to exceed the width limits IF THEY ARE OF A BREAK-AWAY DESIGN.
Are your flag staff mounts a "break away" design?
ColdWarrior, They are definetly not brake-away, I used 1/4" steel and thick wall 316SS pipe. I did not really think of being oversized, but it looks much worse than the picture shows. I will have to go measure. Thanks for the prospective, I would not of thought about it. Thanks
I sure didn't want to be a party-pooper. You've done some good work. Just figured it's better to consider those thoughts than to get a hefty citation for not fitting in your right-of-way.

Carry on.

Crush36

More info on the spray you used?
The material I used I order off of e bay. Called liner X-treeme, I have tried several different brands and this is the best stuff I have found and at a reasonable cost. The kit makes about 3 gallons of spray able material. Comes with 2 gallons of base, 2 quarts or reducer, 2 quarts of activator, and 2 bags of ground up rubber which is pretty fine, I would say there is about 4 cups of rubber per bag. It also comes with the spray gun. I sprayed it at about 75 PSI. The cost of the kit was $165.00 and $40 for shipping. The kit comes so you can mix 1 1/2 gallons at a time. It also comes in several different colors. It took 2 kits to do inside the entire bed... It took 1 kit to do the front fenders, front bumper, side steps, and rear bumper. It took 1 kit to the the entire interior and I also did the supports for the troop seats which I did in desert tan. Hope this was helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks