• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I bought a spare M35A2 engine, complete, with the radiator, and the winch, actually the seller torch cut the front of the truck off, removed the axle and springs, and cab, and I get all the mechanical stuff for spares! Bought two doors too!

FloridaAKM

I started removing the troop seats wood, belt sanding off the old finish & unsound wood & recoating with several coats of OD green enamel paint I had. Getting the old nuts off the bolts is really the hard part, the rest is just sand & paint time.

todds112

Whew! Changed out 4 dry cracked tires with new ones. And my Harbor Freight 3/4" impact is worth it's weight in gold! Made a tough job a lot easier. Even running it with 1/4" fittings and 3/8" hose it had plenty of power on the truck's air system. Had to wait for pressure to build back up a few times, but it works great!!

rwminck

46"

photo (1).jpgwheel.jpgphoto (1).jpg

Still working on the wheels and tire swap. Finished priming last rim, will paint tomorrow. Ordering some break lines from Peashooter tonight, as I am replacing almost everything while I am in there, cylinder was easier than I thought. Hubs studs are reversed and I am getting them steamed tomorrow so I can paint them. Drums and pads look to be just fine. Will post updates as I get it done. Thanks

Last edited:

Crestonean

Took the low air buzzer sending unit apart, cleaned a bunch of fine dust out of it, and reassembled. It's really good to have the buzzer working again, and no soft hiss from under the dash after the truck shuts down. The buzzer shuts off right at 60 pounds now - perfect!

Carlo

View attachment 503677View attachment 503674View attachment 503675

Still working on the wheels and tire swap. Finished priming last rim, will paint tomorrow. Ordering some break lines from Peashooter tonight, as I am replacing almost everything while I am in there, cylinder was easier than I thought. Hubs studs are reversed and I am getting them steamed tomorrow so I can paint them. Drums and pads look to be just fine. Will post updates as I get it done. Thanks
Have you added power steering?

Katahdin

This is actually about a month's worth of odds and ends, I'm playing catch-up:

1) Replaced the canvas on my stylin box seats with new fabric from Jatonka.

2) Touched up the paint here and there. Unfortunately I'm finding painting over CARC was not such a great idea, the CARC is still pealing up in places and taking my new coat of 24087 with it. Fortunately the original coat of 24087 that was under the CARC still looks good, but its starting to screw up the white lettering on my hood. Looks like I'm going to have to completely strip and repaint the hood.

3) Replaced about 23 feet of 5/16" brake line

4) Rebuilt a leaky Master Cylinder. Looks like I have an older style MC that has three exit ports, two of which are plugged. You need to remove one of those plugs in order to get enough play for MC to come free from its mount.

5) Replaced the clutch return spring while I was under there, it was looking rusty. Having the MC removed gave me a little more room to work.

6) Greased all the zerks I could see while under there. Since I didn't have a grease wand I recruited my wife to stick her hand up through the inspection port of the transmission to grease the zerk for the input shaft. The conversation kind of went like this: "Hey honey, are your hands smaller than mine?" She replied "They better be!" Me: "Come crawl under here and prove it!" :razz: It was a fun marital moment.

7) Shocked the fuel tank with a Biocide fuel treatment.

8. Rewired the headlights so only the low-beams come on........this is because the floor switch is stuck on Hi-Beam, LOL. A new dimmer switch is on order. :wink:

Last edited:

mjcdetroit

Still re-doing the hard top: Bondo-hair and body filler applied to the numerous holes from all the lights and antennas. Making slow progress.uploadfromtaptalk1405350257535.jpg

todds112

Just got done adjusting the clutch free play. What a pain. Had to drop the winch drive shaft to be able to turn the clevis end. Then I drained the gear oil from the tranny and filled it with 30Wt oil. Hope it helps the tranny shift a bit better. I know it sure smells a lot better than gear oil. I HATE that stuff.

welldigger

There is enough lubricity, but it can't stand up to the high shear loads as long as gear oil and will break down more quickly.
Not true. Non detergent strait weight engine oil is the same thing as gl-1 gear oil. Which is just base oil stock. These trucks ran for 50 years with gl-1 in everything but the engine.

Jeepsinker

I didn't say it wont work. I said it won't retain it's lubricity as long as gear oil, which is what I call 80w90 Gl5. 80w90 has a lot more of an additive package in it to help keep the lubricity up under shear loads and heat. And even if 30wt is just base oil, it is a much lighter than the GL1 that came in our trucks, which is why it is supposed to make for easier shifts.

todds112

Read many threads about it saying that 30 wt. was what Spicer originally spec'd for the tranny. Decided to give it a try. Heard accounts of it shifting better and less gear noise. Thought I'ld give it a try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks