• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

renodogs

Okay, It's finally time to get ready for paint. It's been almost a year in the making but I'm finally ready to have NOT the ugliest Deuce on the planet. Here are some before picks of the prep for paint. Since there was up to 7 layers of paint in places I decided to not continue to "do it myself" and hire a professional. What you see before you is after weeks of Easy off oven cleaner. Yes it does make an excellent paint stripper. Then an attempt at blasting myself. With all the paint layers I was fighting a loosing battle. ( If you are wondering. Yes, this is Bluedeuce)
Nice! Thanks for posting the pics. Your truck looks like a big ol' boat in dry dock! The effort will be worth it, a nice chance to spray some decent rust inhibitor on that steel skin.

Keep at it brother, it's a labor of love.

mjcdetroit

Drove to Sarasota and found a 1952 STUDEABAKER Deuce used as a brush truck listed at $4500. Converted to a flatbed, that's OK but someone torch cut the front of the frame so there is no bumper? What did the fire department do that for? Looks like scrap now, I ain;t buyen it either!
uploadfromtaptalk1407983956427.jpg

On my deuce, (which I just painted...see picture) the fire department that had mine used it to fight forest fires. They removed the bumper a replaced it with custom one that incorporates a roll cage that's protected the cab.

nchittendon

Well, I started today by replacing my air tank drains.

SANY1896.jpgSANY1895.jpg

Then, in preparation for getting my cargo cover tomorrow, I inspected the troop seats and pockets for the uprights. Found one that had a board still in it. Once I removed the troop seat, found that the pocket was bent right at the bed rail. Bent it back as straight as I could, then pounded the board out. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the cargo cover on!

0813141358.jpg0813141359.jpg

brianp454

I'll say! Bet your son appreciates the muffler, I wouldn;t let mine ride until I installed one. Congrats on the cargo cover. Hope it didn't set you back too much. Any chance you have hunks of the old one?

My truck is desert tan also. Practically twins!

Nice. What a Dad! Wish my old man had a Deuce when I was a kid to go camping in. Smiles all around!

Hainebd

Two new batteries, paint bumpers, oil and filter changer, primary fuel filter changed, inspected. Trip postponed 6 to 8 months. House deal fell through. It never ends!

Blueduce

Indeed, she's straight as an arrow with minimal rust. Only pinholes mostly. Just rebuilt the top half including a crack in her rear head between the valves. Electrically she's solid including the 2k I just dropped on an air-o-maitc out of an a3. It's not PS by any means but with a bad shoulder and back. I should have done that mod years ago.

Mobile blaster showed up yesterday. Let the Games Begin.

In case anybody is wondering she is the same deuce as my avatar pick. That Green was exterior grade latex house paint job. (hated it) It is the cheap way to get a decent paint job but nothing but problems.

Under all that paint the metal looks good, no? I want to see this when your finished. Please.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blueduce

Here's the aftermath of three full days of blasting, 1,100 + pounds of blast media, and two gallons of Gatorade in 100+ degree Texas heat. In some areas we found up to 7 layers of paint but not much more hidden rust. A few pinholes was about the extent of it.
This weekend will be removing all hub seals, break drums and replacing front axle boots to remove as much media as possible. I will also flush all break lines, and inspect harness and other electrical connectors for dammage. I taped up all the holes in the engine but will still plan on replacing all filters.
Four gallons of primer and some very early mornings are next.

Attachments

SoundGuy

I wanted to do so many things, But I wasted all my daylight admiring her. LOL. FINALLY got my PTO driven generator on the front to produce power. Yay me. I took lots of pics of the whole process and will likely make a writeup on it.

mjcdetroit

uploadfromtaptalk1408245334305.jpg

Loaded up the kids and took her up to the Woodward Avenue Cruise near Detroit.
uploadfromtaptalk1408245358880.jpg

Then we seen some more steel soldiers (too bad we were leaving when we seen them).
uploadfromtaptalk1408245466917.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408245489815.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enjoyed a beautiful day in west Texas with my wife and our Deuce.

Touched up and tweeked various things on the Deuce that needed minor attention.

Foremost was locating and silencing an annoying squeak when cranking the engine. Found that the vibration frequency of the starting engine was just right for the hood to rub one of the side panels (It shut up once the engine starts). The easy fix was a strip of rubber glued to the lower edge of the hood - and I did both sides just for assurance.

EWhytsell

Took my niece and nephew for a ride in mine this weekend. Upon pulling into a boat ramp parking area to do a walk around and to turn around and head home a guy ran up to us asking if we could pull his truck that got stuck. We found that his pickup had rolled away while he was out in his boat fishing and it went down into the woods and smashed badly into a huge tree.
Like lots of us, I keep lots of recovery gear with me in case I get stuck so I hooked up and pulled him back to the parking lot with ease. The kids thought that was pretty awesome. The guys truck was really crushed from hitting the tree. To bad too, it was a early `90's toyota pickup in really nice shape until then.

dezert ratt

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408322789.784523.jpgi installed the 395's on my deuce, and found out I need to flip the rear hubs. Running dish out with mraps, I cannot check the rear tire pressure due to the rim being so close to the brake drum. Another thing, the socket head bolts will contact the brake drum nuts if you don't clock the rim so the bolts are offset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks