• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Replaced battery cables and terminals. Fixed door latches/ strikers do the doors actually close all the way. Going to pick up 2 front tired and wheels for the front. Already mounted and aired up. What SHOULD this cost? I think I scored an amazing deal

Replaced battery cables and terminals. Fixed door latches/ strikers do the doors actually close all the way. Going to pick up 2 front tired and wheels for the front. Already mounted and aired up. What SHOULD this cost? I think I scored an amazing deal
25-300 prices vary widely, condition varys too.
Well im getting 2 new tires and new wheels for $300

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce is still a NO START.
With Gimpy's internet, phone and text support, I had the courage to get deep inside the Hydraulic Head - FINALLY, after many delays, eyesight challenges, Soldier B's TDY's, my own other priorities, and UNCOOPERATIVE WEATHER.

What i found in there was NOT what I had hoped to find. (Will post details in the STICKY Thread about HH Rebuilding.) But suffice it to say, I am having doubts about any MV participation in this year's Toys For Tots activities.... I, however, will be fully involved even if the Deuce is hospitalized for the duration.
It's ironic that the TFT activities are both the driving force for a quick remedy and simultaneously TFT is the very distraction prohibiting any rapid repair. (SIGH)

Y'all be blessed !
John

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad day...Queen Lola got tucked away in her winter quarters. I miss her already.

Here is a pic from earlier today: Deuce in its natural habitat "Where Is Waldo? Edition":
IMG_20161119_090553_hdr.jpg

rustystud

With Gimpy's internet, phone and text support, I had the courage to get deep inside the Hydraulic Head - FINALLY, after many delays, eyesight challenges, Soldier B's TDY's, my own other priorities, and UNCOOPERATIVE WEATHER.

What i found in there was NOT what I had hoped to find. (Will post details in the STICKY Thread about HH Rebuilding.) But suffice it to say, I am having doubts about any MV participation in this year's Toys For Tots activities.... I, however, will be fully involved even if the Deuce is hospitalized for the duration.
It's ironic that the TFT activities are both the driving force for a quick remedy and simultaneously TFT is the very distraction prohibiting any rapid repair. (SIGH)

Y'all be blessed !
John

The old "catch 22" thing. I hate that !

Maverick1701

From what I remember that big single cylinder thumper isn't too much easier on the body than a deuce is? I bet it was a long day
It sucks getting old. When I bought my m35a2 in 2010 I was 23/24 years old. I drove it back to Texas from Boyce Equipment in Ogden, UT over a long weekend. I was able to rock 10-12hr days in the saddle. Now I am sore after a 7-8hr drive.

Eliteweapons

I had the fan for the heater burn up the other day on my way to work. It was an odd smell. Not like a usual motor or transformer burnout smell but kinda smelled a little bit like antifreeze. The new one came in so I started the replacement but discovered it was a bigger motor with a larger bolt pattern than the old one. I measured out the new bolt pattern and clocked the motor 90 degrees so as not to drill into the other holes. I cleaned the mounting plate, drilled it out, primed and painted it. Bolted in the motor put a bullet style quick connect on the motor ground wire because there wasn't a bolt on the back of the new one to ground it, and this would make it easier to take out if I need to again. This motor does seem to move a little bit more air than the other one too. I included a picture of the old smaller motor endbell to show the difference in the mounting stud locations. Yes I did have the holes a little off center. It was a little windy and I think my template moved when I was taping it down but it works just fine. I forgot to take a final assembled picture of it thou.
2016-11-19 12.17.32.jpg2016-11-19 12.17.52.jpg2016-11-19 12.29.53.jpg2016-11-19 13.22.47.jpg

Another Ahab

It sucks getting old. When I bought my m35a2 in 2010 I was 23/24 years old. I drove it back to Texas from Boyce Equipment in Ogden, UT over a long weekend. I was able to rock 10-12hr days in the saddle. Now I am sore after a 7-8hr drive.
You're made of tough stuff.

These days and a five hour drive leaves me totally beat.

Maverick1701

My remote master cylinder reservoir kit arrived today from big mikes. It will probably be installed after thanksgiving.

I was able to get a few hours of M35A2 driving in today after work. I hit a few county roads and stopped for a few glamour shots along the way at an old abandoned fuel stop here in the county. After the run I found a jingling piece of unknown material in my headlight. Surprisingly the headlight (hi & lo) is still operational. I think it is the internal reflector. I will have to order a new headlight after thanksgiving.

During my pre-drive walk around, I also found a loose drivers/front axle boot. It looks like the axle side of the boot came loose...almost like the hose clamp let go. I'll have to add that to the "to-do" list.

WP_20161121_15_28_22_Pro (2).jpgWP_20161121_15_28_45_Pro (2).jpgWP_20161121_16_02_11_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Y'all be blessed !
John
Sorry to hear your repair will take so long. The good thing is hopefully once it is fixed, it will stay fixed for a long time. Lord willing & the creek don't rise.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell me about it. I got my Deuce 5-mo ago & I'm 52. I still feel like a kid inside, but I'm moving slower & getting down to check the tire pressure always makes me a bit light headed when I stand back up. I haven't done any long treks yet, but sure am glad my plans to get a Deuce in IN & drive it 1700-mi home in 5-days fell through & I got the wonderful machine I have now that was just over an hour away.

Last edited:

Eliteweapons

Hey Elite, I see you have a A3, how effective is the muffler? If so, are they available and is it easily adapted to a A2?
Mine seems to be relatively quiet. I also upgraded from the factory muffler to an Jones turbine. I got some stainless pipe and flanges and matched the existing muffler setup. It sounds alot better and seems to be quieter until you stand into it. I painted it black and put the guard back in place.
2016-07-18_14.32.17.jpg
2016-11-19 12.29.53.jpg

Attachments

Eliteweapons

Tell me about it. I got my Deuce 5-mo ago & I'm 52. I still feel like a kid inside, but I'm moving slower & getting down to check the tire pressure always makes me a bit light headed when I stand back up. I haven't done any long treks yet, but sure am glad my plans to get a Deuce in IN & drive it 1700-mi home in 5-days fell through & I got the wonderful machine I have now that was just over an hour away.
I got mine in June of this year. My nephew and I flew to Missouri and drove it home making a pitstop to my brothers in Kentucky. We went just under 1500 miles in 2 1/2 days.
:driver:

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the past week, I removed the 4 rear axle brake lines that had rusted badly. My employers snow removal subcontractor receives free salt and prefers to use it excessively in order to reduce plowing (The parking lot is actually white from the dried salt before the spring rains wash it away!) This caused my originally pristine steel brake lines to rust so quickly over the past 4 years that the rear brakes failed three weeks ago. I then fabricated new ones out of "cunifer" (A rustproof Copper, Nickel, Iron alloy) brake line with stainless steel stone guard. I then installed the new lines and bled the system. I once again have working brakes! I will replace all remaining lines and all flex hoses next summer (they appear solid enough to get me through this winter).

I replaced the troublesome "plunger-style" window washer system with an electric system. I did this using government surplus parts in a way that maintains the original appearance of the system while (hopefully) being much more reliable. I will be posting this modification, including photos, in the Deuce Modifications forum

Lastly, I performed some general lubrication and maintenance. I think I'm ready for Winter;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks