• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

FloridaAKM

When I bought the second Deuce from GP, she had two 6TL's in her, but one was not recoverable no matter what I did. The other 6TL battery is in reserve with the affected truck having a new pair of batteries from Interstate that keep her cranking right. I hated recycling the original 6TL, but had no choice.

Sorry that I can't give you the specs on the replacement batteries other than they were blems that cost $150.00 for the set, but it has been a while & the old memory is not what it used to be.

92ramaro

Dump trailer and a deuce to fill with wood. I tucker out after just the bed full. What kind of wood is that ? I burn any/everything here........It beats paying 200$ a cord.
The large trunk is Oak. The rest of the trailer load (not pictured) is Ash.
And the Deuce is just a mule for the dump trailer until I tear it apart and make it dump as well in the off season. Being alone today, I wasnt up to the task of filling both beds lol.
Before I burned wood for heat, maybe 3 years ago I was selling hardwood for $60 bucks a face cord. Maple, mostly ash, some oak. Seems like it's worth much more these days if I ever get ahead enough to sell it again.

Edit: Time flies, it was more like 5-6 years ago now that I do that math. Jeeze.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Yesterday I popped the new battery into the my truck so I could circulate the anti-alage I put in the fuel tank a few weeks back. During the install process I pinched a battery cable....ugh. I did a temporary repair so I could crank the truck (without starting a fire) & circulate the anti-algae stuff but it will need to be replaced before I take it out. I ran the truck for about 15mins to fully circulate the anti-algae. I drained some fuel from my primary filter valve...it's not pretty (see pics). I'm all stocked up on filters so I can keep swapping them out until the dead algae is out of the system.

I hopped in to check the brakes and nothing...pedal straight to the floor *sigh*. I have a sneaking suspicion my air pack is tired. I have had a slow leak in the area of my air pack that I have been keeping a close eye on. Also I didn't hear the usual air assist "hissss" when actuating the brakes....so that's a clue. I'm going to pull the air pack, clean it up, and see what I can see. I'll probably pick up a rebuild kit while I have it out of the truck.

Attachments

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past weeks progress was getting the air cleaner housing mounted back up, intake tube on, painted/touched up the paint under the hood some & both rear splash guards are on. Also got some painting done to the underside of the truck too, will be up for sale soon...

Attachments

92ramaro

Yesterday I popped the new battery into the my truck so I could circulate the anti-alage I put in the fuel tank a few weeks back. During the install process I pinched a battery cable....ugh. I did a temporary repair so I could crank the truck (without starting a fire) & circulate the anti-algae stuff but it will need to be replaced before I take it out. I ran the truck for about 15mins to fully circulate the anti-algae. I drained some fuel from my primary filter valve...it's not pretty (see pics). I'm all stocked up on filters so I can keep swapping them out until the dead algae is out of the system.

I hopped in to check the brakes and nothing...pedal straight to the floor *sigh*. I have a sneaking suspicion my air pack is tired. I have had a slow leak in the area of my air pack that I have been keeping a close eye on. Also I didn't hear the usual air assist "hissss" when actuating the brakes....so that's a clue. I'm going to pull the air pack, clean it up, and see what I can see. I'll probably pick up a rebuild kit while I have it out of the truck.
The first time I bled the brakes on my truck, I was able to get a decently solid brake pedal with absolutely no air pressure at all. Are you sure you're not also losing brake fluid somewhere?

92ramaro

Drained my trans and assembled my dual output PTO yesterday. Was able to install it (barely) this morning with two .010 gaskets and got an appropriate amount of backlash (judging it by hand.)
If I had to do it again, I'd never try to install both PTOs at the same time. The rear output housing barely fits the gap between the PTO mounting studs and the master cylinder. I was one more failed attempt away from taking it apart for installation.

After finding some moderately sized metal chunks in the trans along with the general glittery appearance of the fluid, I'm keeping an eye out for a spare transmission to keep on the shelf for when the inevitable happens...

Attachments

Last edited:

Privatewrench

Took the deuce to work today (about a 10 mile drive) and noticed some oil splatter on top front and down passenger side of engine. I cleaned the engine up real good while working on radiator, so I can tell it's a fresh. It's right where the flame heater pump is, but it's dark oil, not diesel. What else could be around there that holds oil?

Attachments

Ajax MD

Took the deuce to work today (about a 10 mile drive) and noticed some oil splatter on top front and down passenger side of engine. I cleaned the engine up real good while working on radiator, so I can tell it's a fresh. It's right where the flame heater pump is, but it's dark oil, not diesel. What else could be around there that holds oil?
Are you sure it's not coolant with iron sediment in it? They look awfully similar and even feel similar to the touch but coolant will have that sickly sweet smell.

Privatewrench

Are you sure it's not coolant with iron sediment in it? They look awfully similar and even feel similar to the touch but coolant will have that sickly sweet smell.
That's an interesting thought Ajax MD. A new radiator, hoses and multiple flushes of system ending with brand new coolant, I would think anything that leaked out would be pretty clean. I'll give the mess a smell test when i get home and see if that's a possibility.

Privatewrench

You were right on AjaxMD. Cleaned everything up and took a small trip. Found the hose on the water pump had fluid blowing past the clamps. Repositiioned the hose and tightened it down. Hopefully that will fix it.

Ajax MD

@Privatewrench I made the suggestion because I just went through the exact same thing. ;)

After replacing all of the belts and hoses that the hose material had compressed somewhat and most of my hose clamps had loosened up allowing some drips. I thought it was oil until I smelled it.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Well about an hour ago I just bought a pair of used working pneumatic wiper motors.

I got them because I want them for parts.

I need the handles off of them to replace the one's on mine customs broke when it arrived.

That should arrive by end of next week.

I was planning to pull mine apart and re-lubricate them anyway so now I can get two jobs done at the same time, soon.

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks