• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Good idea Dipstick. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's butchered hardware. When I see an MV that has had a lot of hard work and money put in, and then the corners of the fasteners are rounded off, rusted, and have chisel marks. It just down grades all the money and effort that was put into the vehicle. 2cents
Agreed Tracer. I almost always replace the fasteners on my projects. I dislike rusty threads and rounded off nuts/bolts. I almost always use anti-seize so that myself and any future owner of Brutus will have an easier time of it. I do reuse interior/dash fasteners when possible. The winters and road salt (Truck Destroyer-Granular) are pure murder on vehicles up here. Even painted nuts and bolts as large as 7/8" will rust to hell in a few years. I recently bought a trio of nut splitters so I can replace severely rusted nuts and bolts on Brutus' spring mounts and frame. The new fenders will have to wait until the battery project is done.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way Tracer, I just turned 68 on March 15th. I'm pretty zippy for my age though and I can still work really hard. It's the soreness afterwards that reminds me I'm not 30 anymore. The soreness doesn't last long. I guess it's more like tired muscles really.
It only gets.......better.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dipstick, I also had a metal BB that rusted through. So I got one of the newer plastic boxes a couple years ago, and all is well. View attachment 830118 I got the data stickers from either Bigmike or on e-bay.
Does anyone happen to know where I can get the data/warning stickers that go on the battery box?? Looked on Ebay & couldn't find anything, unless I just overlooked them. Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone happen to know where I can get the data/warning stickers that go on the battery box?? Looked on Ebay & couldn't find anything, unless I just overlooked them. Thanks
3 oclock in the morning and you are thinking about a sticker. I am wondering why I am not fast asleep and this getting old thing sleeping kinda sucks. I am wondering if my internal clock is off because of the time change or just the getting old thing. Could it be closer to the grave I do not want to close my eyes for long fearing I might not open them again. Wish I could sleep like a kid again and at least get 8 hours sleep this 4 / 5 hour stuff bites waking up before the Sun.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a incorrectly wired switch to me. I'd go with the Stock lever switch unit myself. I changed mine years ago. They're a bit of a pain to install, but worth it. As far as uphill/downhill Deuces are sometimes referred to as Dragonflies. They drag uphill and fly downhill.
I ordered a new one from big mike and installed it seems to work the old push button has something rattling around inside it. I like the Dragon Flies

Dipstick

3 oclock in the morning and you are thinking about a sticker. I am wondering why I am not fast asleep and this getting old thing sleeping kinda sucks. I am wondering if my internal clock is off because of the time change or just the getting old thing. Could it be closer to the grave I do not want to close my eyes for long fearing I might not open them again. Wish I could sleep like a kid again and at least get 8 hours sleep this 4 / 5 hour stuff bites waking up before the Sun.
I just turned 68 and I have the exact same problem. Five hours of sleep each night and I wake up every hour or so. I was cleaning up my new plastic battery box after midnight last night.

Dipstick

I ordered a new one from big mike and installed it seems to work the old push button has something rattling around inside it. I like the Dragon Flies
hgun....I also ran a new wire from the start switch to the solenoid in red 12 ga. to eliminate the possibility of a faulty wire and to make it easier to trace in the future. I used a 24v marine starter switch I bought online. It has a very positive, solid feel to it.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a new heater core should be here Tuesday. That job is a pain, for as big as these trucks are their is no room to work up under the dash. You have to remove the glove box and that helps. And the hoses and drain valve on the core if installed the way it came with them against the firewall I can’t get my gorilla mitts up there not to mention can’t see. Going to install 2 ball valves in line as well. Got window fixed goes up and down with a little help seems like it goes up on an angle, I have to pull the right side up a bit then it goes up. Anybody have an idea why it won’t spray washer fluid? I put air to the hose I can hear it going back to the tank but when you pull the lever nothing happens no big deal just curious

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hgun....I also ran a new wire from the start switch to the solenoid in red 12 ga. to eliminate the possibility of a faulty wire and to make it easier to trace in the future. I used a 24v marine starter switch I bought online. It has a very positive, solid feel to it.
I like that idea thank you

Dipstick

I ordered a new heater core should be here Tuesday. That job is a pain, for as big as these trucks are their is no room to work up under the dash. You have to remove the glove box and that helps. And the hoses and drain valve on the core if installed the way it came with them against the firewall I can’t get my gorilla mitts up there not to mention can’t see. Going to install 2 ball valves in line as well. Got window fixed goes up and down with a little help seems like it goes up on an angle, I have to pull the right side up a bit then it goes up. Anybody have an idea why it won’t spray washer fluid? I put air to the hose I can hear it going back to the tank but when you pull the lever nothing happens no big deal just curious
I installed a complete new Cold Air Kit in Brutus when I first bought him due to a leaking heater core. You are right to say it is difficult to work under the dash. The defroster hoses just don't want to go on. I also cleaned up my window mechanisms and installed new seals. The spring washers are very hard to get on and I have to tug on a corner of my window to get it to go up or down. I usually grab the middle of the top window frame and pull up while cranking with the other hand. If you want to really experience difficult just try working on the transfer case air switch. Wow.

Dipstick

Old Battery Box.jpgOld Battery Box 2.jpg
Now this is a rusted battery box. I had it in great shape eight years ago when I replaced the original batteries. I think one of the cell caps was leaking a bit of electrolyte even though it was screwed down tight. The support u-channels are so rusted that I will probably fabricate new ones. This will give me a chance to perfect my splatter and blob welding technique.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope I don’t have too for a while. I bought this in Dec 7k miles just minor stuff. I did change the tires over to 395/85/20 with new orings and grommets some still have a slow leak, I’ve been taking them one by one to a truck tire shop but if I go out I fill them to about 50 and I can get home. I’m making an air hose for my gladgand to fill my tires hope this idea works. I did notice both of my axel boots are torn not looking forward to that. and I have a air leak out of the bottom of the device that the cable is hooked to to drain the tanks. But mostly minor compared to the other guy on here I feel bad for him.

Dipstick

I hope I don’t have too for a while. I bought this in Dec 7k miles just minor stuff. I did change the tires over to 395/85/20 with new orings and grommets some still have a slow leak, I’ve been taking them one by one to a truck tire shop but if I go out I fill them to about 50 and I can get home. I’m making an air hose for my gladgand to fill my tires hope this idea works. I did notice both of my axel boots are torn not looking forward to that. and I have a air leak out of the bottom of the device that the cable is hooked to to drain the tanks. But mostly minor compared to the other guy on here I feel bad for him.
I made a glad hand air filler with a nozzle that has a flex hose end, a squeeze trigger, and a built in gauge. Works great. Remember to connect it to the R.H. (facing the back of the truck) glad hand. As far as the tank drain valves go sometimes they freeze up in winter or get plugged with rust particles. In the winter I heat the bottom of the air tank where they screw in lightly with a torch. Sometimes you get lucky and can blow the dirt out. I replace them with new every year or so because if they leak even a little they will drain down your air pressure in an hour or two. The boots are really not that bad. I've done them three or more times. They keys are buy good quality boots and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS in the TM to the letter!

Dipstick

I would never charge a friend to help out. :)Really.....they're not that bad. Leechburg. I'll have to check that out on a map. Four hours is a long way in a Deuce.

Dipstick

hgun. Getting good quality boots makes a big difference. I got my last ones from Memphis Equipment 901-774-0600. The boots are P/N 7410883. The large clamps are P/N 01-1448875-5340. The small clamps are P/N 7071100. You need two of each item. The cost for all without shipping was $87.54. You will also want a tube of black RTV automotive sealant to water proof the boot zippers. You may be able to get these parts a lot cheaper, but these boots fit excellently and really make the task MUCH easier to accomplish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks