• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son is looking at building a set out of scrap. They have .188" and .250". Will either of these work? Is .250 too thick for some needed clearance?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,...

Well the listing on E-bay is the same place that wants to rip me for over $500.00 to ship it to me.

I also saw the fording snorkel I want for my Deuce.

Can't get it on E-bay because it wants me to set up an account first.

Aussie.
The name on the seller I purchased from is candcequipment, the other seller is thopar-86 he is asking 25.00 for the wrenches. you were dealing with western military equipment they are expensive on most things. Setting up an e bay account isn't to hard.........heck I did it.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Setting up an e bay account isn't to hard.........heck I did it.

That may be so but I am not going to set up accounts everywhere I go just to get the odd item when most places let you buy without creating accounts.

I've bought things from e-bay before without having to have an account, this is something they have changed since.

Thats just the way I am,.....

Aussie.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

That may be so but I am not going to set up accounts everywhere I go just to get the odd item when most places let you buy without creating accounts.

I've bought things from e-bay before without having to have an account, this is something they have changed since.

Thats just the way I am,.....

Aussie.
Aussie, I'll send you a PM.

92ramaro

I changed my compressor belt using two pipe wrenches. One was definitely a 48inch, the other was an 8 inch I believe.

Maybe I was able to get away with not having the special wrenches because the radiator and the fan were removed at the time? Nothing got screwed up from the procedure, however tightening the "sheave" on the compressor without pinching the belt was a bit tedious with only one set of hands :shrugs:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Ok,...

Today is a fairly dry day, not raining or drizzling at all.

So I made a start on removing the broken compressor belt, loosened off the alternator and get under my Deuce,....

Can I get the belts off,... no! of course not,...

The gap between the pully on the crank and the radiator shroud is about half the width of the belt.

I can cut the belt off no problem but then how do I get a new belt ON?

I could bend the radiator shroud but I am not going to do that, I even undid one of the bolts holding the radiator at the bottom thinking if I can just

slide it forward a centimetre I can get the belts through,....

Nope! its a fixed mounting point.

Surely I don't have to remove the radiator just to replace a belt?

PIC_0110.JPG

PIC_0111.JPG

Aussie.

92ramaro

G'day everyone,....

Ok,...

Today is a fairly dry day, not raining or drizzling at all.

So I made a start on removing the broken compressor belt, loosened off the alternator and get under my Deuce,....

Can I get the belts off,... no! of course not,...

The gap between the pully on the crank and the radiator shroud is about half the width of the belt.

I can cut the belt off no problem but then how do I get a new belt ON?

I could bend the radiator shroud but I am not going to do that, I even undid one of the bolts holding the radiator at the bottom thinking if I can just

slide it forward a centimetre I can get the belts through,....

Nope! its a fixed mounting point.

Surely I don't have to remove the radiator just to replace a belt?

View attachment 840701

View attachment 840702

Aussie.
Early into owning my truck, I was able to install a new alternator belt with the radiator installed. I think I removed the top rad mount and slightly leaned the rad away from the engine. I didn't mess with the compressor belt until much later when I had the radiator out though.
Is your engine properly mounted? I found later on that my driver side engine mount was actually missing all of the bolts that connect to the engine block. Only reason I ask.

I can't say that I've read the TM on replacing the belts but I doubt the rad has to be removed for the procedure.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you should be able to change the belts without pulling the rad. That said, as @92ramaro said, leaning the rad forward makes a bit more space for the procedure.

In a w/w truck, the rad cannot lean forward very much; you may need to remove the grille and also pay particular attention to the hinged metal lock flap that locks the winch clutch lever. That thing can stick out and when the rad leans forward that lock flap can clearly puncture the rad. Ask me how I found that out! Put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad fins.

TheQuaker

Did a few things last weekend...

Converted over to spin-on oil filters. Thanks to member @tie6044 who sells an excellent adapter kit. ~2 seconds to build pressure now. Outstanding! Money well spent for improved piece of mind and easier filter changes.

Painted the tow shackles and the grille black to create some contrast to the OD on the front end and add a little interest. Kind of a subtle thing but I think it turned out nice and does change the look of the front end - turned out even better than I thought it would...

IMG_1240.JPG

Also added a couple of strips of aggressive traction tape to both sides of the front bumper where I step (and slip now with the fresh semi-gloss OD) to get up and work on her. The black tape matches the grille and shackles and looks like it always belonged there. Again, something small, but if it keeps me from slipping and busting my a$$ (again! :D ) then it's a winner in my book...

IMG_1241.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did a few things last weekend...

Converted over to spin-on oil filters. Thanks to member @tie6044 who sells an excellent adapter kit. ~2 seconds to build pressure now. Outstanding! Money well spent for improved piece of mind and easier filter changes.

Painted the tow shackles and the grille black to create some contrast to the OD on the front end and add a little interest. Kind of a subtle thing but I think it turned out nice and does change the look of the front end - turned out even better than I thought it would...

View attachment 840727

Also added a couple of strips of aggressive traction tape to both sides of the front bumper where I step (and slip now with the fresh semi-gloss OD) to get up and work on her. The black tape matches the grille and shackles and looks like it always belonged there. Again, something small, but if it keeps me from slipping and busting my a$$ (again! :D ) then it's a winner in my book...

View attachment 840729
Nice looking truck!!

That BA Tape is definitely a plus too.
Seems that somewhere along the way mine was painted, then sprinkled with sand, then painted.
Really nice when you step up out of the wet grass!

TheQuaker

Nice looking truck!!

That BA Tape is definitely a plus too.
Seems that somewhere along the way mine was painted, then sprinkled with sand, then painted.
Really nice when you step up out of the wet grass!

Thanks! She's coming along little by little. She's been a really fun truck to work and wrench on and is a blast to drive.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

I am surprised at the lack of room to remove a belt,...

You'd think it would be simple for field repair, (with basic tools)....

Aussie.
Could not agree more. Maybe your fan shroud is bent or the top rad brace leans the rad too far inwards, or...

I believe the original design allows for an easy-ish belt change (save the compressor pulley complication).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Thanks to a fellow forum member I now have 2 sets of compressor wrenches on the way.

Cost of the wrenches was less and the shipping is WAAAAAAY less.

Makes me wonder how the $500.00 I was quoted to ship to me can be justified?

Aussie.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes me wonder how the $500.00 I was quoted to ship to me can be justified?
They did not want to mess with international shipments because there can be serious problems for businesses if they violate the ITAR regulations. The deuces went out on EUC's (End Use Certificates) and some dealers are not sure exactly what part might be considered 'arms dealing'. Then there is the long shipping times. I've both sent and received things from 'OZ' and the transit times can be six weeks or more, even for things that are coming 'air mail'. And then there is COVID. I got some items on e-bay from Germany earlier this year. The package sat in the Frankfurt airport for 63 days before it got on a plane to come to the USA. I had tracking on the package, I knew every move it made, but it still sat at the airport that long. Total time in route was 76 days! Businesses do not want customers complaining about things they cannot control. Sad, but true.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks