• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

fleetmech

OK, haven't looked one up yet.
Got a wheel cylinder leaking also, one of the duels so that should be fun. Never had them off before.
The rear wheels are held on with Budd style lugs, so you will need the correct style of sockets to remove them (or at least the inner 'thimble' nut. They can be a bit of a pain, and dont forget that if all is correct, the passenger side is reverse thread.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next task is to remove the fuel level arm and get that working. It was stuck and gummed up. Reading full still, so its not working even though I reached in and freed it up.
I "think" the gauge reads full when it is shorted to ground. You can measure the output of the sending unit; there is a nice step by step to follow in the troubleshooting TM.

Refer to TM 9-2320-209-10
TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 , Chapter 25 Electrical Troubleshooting, Symptom 28 "Fuel System Gauge doesn't work, all other gauges work"
Page 470 when you access it here: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-209-20-2-1.PDF

Dipstick

Would anyone be able to point me to the post with pictures for the FDC bypass. I tried searching for it tonight, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm considering doing it to my turbo engine. My truck hardly smokes at all. You really have to look to see it. I think that means my engine is burning its air/fuel mixture perfectly. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

DaneGer21

Would anyone be able to point me to the post with pictures for the FDC bypass. I tried searching for it tonight, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm considering doing it to my turbo engine. My truck hardly smokes at all. You really have to look to see it. I think that means my engine is burning its air/fuel mixture perfectly. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Watch this as many times as needed!

Dipstick

Watch this as many times as needed!

Thank you DaneGer21!! That's an excellent video. Crystal clear and with just the right amount of information. The tips are very helpful as well. I might just do that this coming Spring. Do you mind me asking what benefits you derived from doing it? Did you notice any difference in driveability or power? What about smoke? Did you also add an EGT monitor? I appreciate your going to the effort to help and for responding so quickly!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the MTVR for their visual deception. They are similarly proportioned to the Deuce, just....so much bigger! It is hard to judge with just a pic of an MTVR, but the pic above is great! The Deuce on the trailer looks like the grown up truck bringing a little ATV runabout along!

Unfortunately, the cab of the MTVR is unsuitable for living in, because that is what I would have to do if I brought one home!

DaneGer21

Thank you DaneGer21!! That's an excellent video. Crystal clear and with just the right amount of information. The tips are very helpful as well. I might just do that this coming Spring. Do you mind me asking what benefits you derived from doing it? Did you notice any difference in driveability or power? What about smoke? Did you also add an EGT monitor? I appreciate your going to the effort to help and for responding so quickly!
Sorry it was late and I went to bed. Sorry for the delay.

Main benefit will be more consistent fuel delivery. It won’t be compensated/limited.

You will gain more power because of the better fuel delivery and equating more fuel. You may have to adjust fuel down.

You may gain some smoke because now the fuel delivery is “different” than before and may need adjustment.

I haven’t added an EGT yet, only because I’m still wrenching on mine and it isn’t road worthy yet and won’t be testing until then. But, I WILL be adding an EGT so I can monitor and adjust fuel as needed or when needed.

I know that info i gave is vague but others may chime in for a better more scientific explanation.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Charlie175

I just did one of mine. Super easy to do, I think I will need to turn the fuel down a bit as it gained quite a bit of power just with the bypass. My truck has been sitting a long time so maybe the FDC was gunky or something and it was limited the fuel....

davidb56

Does starting it up to keep the batteries charged every week count as "doing something"? Hopefully next month I'll chain it up and go get some Tamarack and lodgepole pine trees that blew over in the last wind. They are set back about 100 feet in the woods, which is where the F350's and Dodge Cummins fail, and the Deuce cables up to them and drags them out like they were not even there.......with snow chains of course, since it will be on 4 inches of ice/snow.

hgun

Happy Thanksgiving to all members enjoy this time with your friends and family while we can the people running or ruining this country would love to see us not have anymore holidays and freedom. We will have to get some of our members with kitchen trailers and we can have secret thanksgiving lol anyway be safe stay healthy and eat lots no diets today guys.

davidb56

Happy Thanksgiving to all members enjoy this time with your friends and family while we can the people running or ruining this country would love to see us not have anymore holidays and freedom. We will have to get some of our members with kitchen trailers and we can have secret thanksgiving lol anyway be safe stay healthy and eat lots no diets today guys.
Or a secret Tea party..................

hgun

Took the A3 to moms this evening for Thanksgiving truck run fine DS defrost doesn’t move much air if anybody the passenger works great I should drive from that side. Opened the hood I seen some chewed hickory nuts on top of engine heard nuts rolling around in hood damn things I started truck mouse came out of heater box I think he went along for the ride. But I think they made a nest in the box I could smell pee the whole time, which sucks I just had that apart to fix heater core and removed a nest. I put bait on the floor and I’m going to put some rubber snakes under the hood and more moth balls in battery box. Not sure how they got in this truck is sealed tighter than a dolphins butt lol. Hopefully everyone had a good holiday. All you PA hunters good luck Sat

hgun

So today in snowy PA I decided to figure out why my DS defrost wasn't moving air, I figured after seeing Mickey come out of my heater box I had a pretty good idea, I opened the heater box no nest hmm thought for sure it was there. Oh well I removed the defrost hose on the DS side tried using air compressor to blow out the hose wasn't really working, had the wife helping me do that. then I got a great idea I got my shop vac out the hose is fits right inside the black hose going up to the defrost took the vents off by the windshield hooked up shop vac told her to watch to see if anything comes out, I even cracked the windshield. I turned it on oh my it looked like confetti flying out of there she yelled swore told me she loved me I think that's what she said lol . she was covered in tiny pieces of this and that. Now my defrost bows air, even blow out the PS side which wasn't pluggedI could not find the nest though maybe it still smells from when I bought it with the nest in the heater box and when it got warm it started to smell again. I don't know where Mickey Mouse is I did leave him some tasty treats. Hope you guys had a nice Holiday and you hunters got your deer, I lost my hunting place so I didn't go this year. Have a god night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks