• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you build?

CUCVLOVER

Nice hitch.
You don't use a mig welder do you?
That's all we ever use to build.

10 inch channel iron with a 1/2x8 all the way across for the winch to bolt to and to help stiffen it up. Braces here and there then used 3 inch angle iron with a 1/2 inch wall to weld to the stock shackle mounts. Then I welded my new shackle mounts on with 4 passes. One center, left, right, and the top bead. Burn it in like a big dog haha.
Lincoln 216 mig welder all the way.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
image-20161013_134229.jpgimage-20161013_134257.jpg20161026_135152.jpgdownload_20161029_163436.jpg
Nice hitch.

10 inch channel iron with a 1/2x8 all the way across for the winch to bolt to and to help stiffen it up. Braces here and there then used 3 inch angle iron with a 1/2 inch wall to weld to the stock shackle mounts. Then I welded my new shackle mounts on with 4 passes. One center, left, right, and the top bead. Burn it in like a big dog haha.
I own a Millermatic200, which will do MIG. I've used a Miller 251 and a Miller 350P. I've tested out in structural GMAW in flat and vertical.

MIG is easier than stick. It's like a hot glue gun that squirts steel instead of glue. It's clean and fast and makes pretty welds. I have nothing against MIG.

But there's just something about stick welding. The additional level of difficulty, the finished look of a 7018 weave, the sound of the root pass penetrating the pipe. I just like stick welds for thicker steel.

Besides, I don't plan to grind the welds. This bumper is supposed to showcase my pipe welding skills. I passed the AWS 5G pipe certification recently...

My welder/generator is a Miller Big Blue 400 that lives on an M105A2.

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice hitch.

How much does this bumper weigh? With a 454 engine and this bumper you should get traction on the front axle. Did you have to add any weight to rear end to hold it down??

CUCVLOVER

98g and Royalflush55

My approach angle is hurt because the bumper sticks out so far but I actually like it because I use the bottom of the bumper to grade off anything that will hang my diff when I'm going through a ditch and with the 454 I have enough power to bust through. I don't think it hurt the handling to much. The truck was growing a case of death wobble before I built it. I have a king pin bushings and springs kit from ORD to put in.
It weighs somewhere amongst 300 lbs with the winch in it. I definitely have plenty of front end bite, I didn't add anything to the back. Between the flat bed, and all the junk in my tool box I figure I'm good

Shark Bait

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgCurrently on my shop floor is a Jeep Scrambler custom build. Using a new 2016 Wrangler Unlimited frame, shortened it 12" in the center (104" wheelbase instead of Scrambler 103" or Wrangler 116") and lengthened 12" in the rear. Sitting on Dana Ultimate 60 crate axles, 4.88 gears and lockers, it'll be powered by an LS3 430hp crate engine, 4L70e transmission and Atlas 2 transfer case. Still considering what size tires and wheels, 37-40". I had always wanted to build one. Probably won't keep it. Lol. Already thinking of next project.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job!

Did you braze the expanded metal to the frame, or are those welds?i
AA, it will work if you stay on the base metal and just touch the stainless, making your weld pool on the steel, not letting it blow/drip away. It takes a steady hand and being careful not to go too much onto the stainless. A 70 series rod has more chromium, so bonds a little better.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My welder/generator is a Miller Big Blue 400 that lives on an M105A2.
Nice machine 98G. I have a Hobart with twin Onan (gas) on a Ford ranger bed/trailer. I lay O tank on one side and carry 20lb LP for the torch. The Hobart has an excellent high freq start that I like a lot. Sometimes I find myself with torch in one hand and stick in the other, while building sawmill equipment. I'm partial to stick too...stronger and better penetration, especially rusted metal.

I want a diesel to do double duty as my house back-up generator. The gas works, but the diesel would be easier on fuel.

Another Ahab

Did you say "3 psi" is all you're running in those tires?!
Yessir. They came with 10 I let them down to 3 to get a little flex. It will float with me on it in deep water. I have a few vids on my channel and will be posting more regularly from the rides.
Thanks
Dang. It must be the sidewalls holding those tires up. I mean isn't atmospheric pressure at sea level 15 psi?!

I got to go look that up....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks