• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tobyS

Also painted my new muffler from Floridianson with high temp black grille paint. Went a bit overboard and did like 6 coats. Looks sweet. Also pulled off my top pipe to paint that, and noticed some rot around the mounting flange. Probably still fine to use once it's clamped in place, but.... I used it as an excuse to order a new one ;) My new gaskets and clamps should be here on Friday or Saturday, and the new top pipe will be here Monday. So weather permitting, I will get my new muffler and gaskets installed this weekend, then paint and install the top pipe Monday after work. When I pull the old muffler off, I'm also going to take a moment to give the muffler mount frame another coat of green paint. I will also hit the lower exhaust pipe and flex joint with the same high temp paint as the muffler and top pipe. I don't think I can get all of it when it's still mounted in place, but I can get everything that anyone will see. It will certainly be better than it is now.
Johnny, check out the top of the exhaust. If it's like mine, the top pipe does not have near enough turn down to keep rain water from going in and down to the bottom of the muffler, where it rots out from the inside. Take a crescent wrench and bend the bottom part so drips want to go out, not on down inside. A very minor bend will work to keep a lot of water out. My 2012 rebuild is entirely rusted through but the black paint on the outside is still intact.

JohnnyBM931A2

Johnny, check out the top of the exhaust. If it's like mine, the top pipe does not have near enough turn down to keep rain water from going in and down to the bottom of the muffler, where it rots out from the inside. Take a crescent wrench and bend the bottom part so drips want to go out, not on down inside. A very minor bend will work to keep a lot of water out. My 2012 rebuild is entirely rusted through but the black paint on the outside is still intact.
Good to know. Thank you :)

Goobs

A deer jumped out from behind my truck while I was backing and I thought it was my daughter so I took evasive action and hit my gate that has a 1/4 x 8" hardened steel bracket the opener attaches to and it went right through the sidewall.

Goobs

Capehenery

A deer jumped out from behind my truck while I was backing and I thought it was my daughter so I took evasive action and hit my gate that has a 1/4 x 8" hardened steel bracket the opener attaches to and it went right through the sidewall.

Goobs
Ouch,
Sorry to hear that. Glad it was not your daughter

therooster2001

Painted more on the truck, and forgot to post this little guy. It was an LED Spotlight I 3D printed a handle for. I have a genius charger so got the right connector, which was its specific extension and cut it up, got 40' of cord and bam, a handheld LED spotlight from the slave port.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446647200.707474.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446647246.543674.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446647259.858329.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446647282.358934.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe we should levy fines for picture-less posts.

And then use all the proceeds for...I don't know:

- Maybe posting pictures!? :shrugs:

OK, Rocky, "Judge not lest ye be judged."

PAY UP ! You're the first to be fined for posting in this thread without photos !!!
roflroflrofl

============
Now to stay on topic.....

Prepped our Deuce for this Saturday's Veteran's Parade and the 12-Hour Toys-For-Tots event even though the weather-wienies have introduced a 40% chance of rain for Saturday morning. I'll parade and collect toys for kids in ANY weather!

Here's a pic from last year's Veterans Parade just so I don't get fined too...

1797492_10205074976544977_7333853852111111486_n.jpg

Carry on!

74M35A2

I painted the the rear/rear service/spring brake chambers flat black to blend in better with their surroundings. I also added coil spring hose protector on all the rear hoses. In doing so I discovered a hairline cracked 45º street elbow on the left/rear spring brake port. No biggee...easy fix.

Before
View attachment 592009

After...
View attachment 592007View attachment 592008

Back in May or June, I picked up a brand new pair each of the heavier-duty aluminum front turn signals and rear brake lights. They are much nicer than the plastic by far and include LED blackout markers and stop lights as delivered. I painted them 686 sand shortly after receiving them.
View attachment 592000View attachment 592001

My dilemma was that I had already put LED's on the front and rear some time ago, but I do like the look of the standard light lenses. Well, best of both worlds...I decided to use LED bulbs in the metal light buckets. These are the bulbs I am using...

Flasher/Brake Lamp bulbs: 1141 1156 1003 BA15S 27 SMD LED Bulb 10-30V 405 Lum 12V 24V Warm White (from an on-line auction site)
View attachment 592005

Marker Lamp bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSGBARW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
View attachment 592006

Anyway, I finally installed the fronts this past Sunday.
View attachment 591998View attachment 592002
You know how some people can say one single thing that may change the way you think? I pulled up to a stop light one time, and there was a lifted diesel F-350 stopped next to us, and he had the dangling chain nuts thing going on. Well, the girl in my passenger seat simply said "Had to buy them eh?" (implying he doesn't have them himself). Now that is all I think about whenever I see it...

Truck looks sharp, has come a long way since you acquired it. I side with you on the look of conventional bulb lenses. Nice work on the black brake cans/hoses/springs.

JohnnyBM931A2

Got home early enough from work and had enough time to remove my heat shield, both clamps, and the old muffler :) Not too bad at all.. Just time consuming because I was using regular wrenches, and some of those spots are pretty tight.

I think tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of good weather, and then it is going to cool down again. I will try to get the lower exhaust pipe painted with the high temp paint, and then use the Behr paint on the side of the muffler mount that is normally hidden behind the muffler. Always feels good to make some progress :)

ThatXJGuy

Alright well i'm kinda cheating here and including much more than a week's worth of mods and fixes but here goes: My M-62 started out white, ugly and leaky and here's the before and afters:
01717_l6Xfi2410Fh_600x450.jpgIMG_20140802_193338.jpg00F0F_dEtkb5bO0Ma_600x450.jpgIMG_20150118_151846.jpg IMG_20150918_161238.jpg IMG_20150928_174105.jpgIMG_20151023_155118.jpg
Its still a little leaky but im working on it one hose at a time...

And My M-55 came bed-less, and with 6 wheels of different sizes and tires that were missing huge amounts of rubber.
IMG_20140118_140806.jpgIMG_20140118_140525.jpg20140227_121239.jpgIMG_20150621_210107.jpgIMG_20150621_210035.jpgIMG_20150621_210046.jpgIMG_20150801_104606.jpg
I just got the bed finished and filpped over the other day, now for paint and glass and she'll be on the road for the first time in 23 years!

Attachments

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the rear aluminum tail light housings/bezels today. I am short one LED bulb for the stop lamp (on order/in the mail) so I subbed the the right with a 1683 incandescent temporarily to keep it legal.
DSC_0039.jpgDSC_0038.jpg

You know how some people can say one single thing that may change the way you think? I pulled up to a stop light one time, and there was a lifted diesel F-350 stopped next to us, and he had the dangling chain nuts thing going on. Well, the girl in my passenger seat simply said "Had to buy them eh?" (implying he doesn't have them himself). Now that is all I think about whenever I see it...
That's funny [thumbzup] I didn't like the cheesy plastic ones and they just look wrong. At least with the nuts, I can keep the show "family oriented"...you know, call 'em spare parts ;) They are quite the conversation piece and my wife thinks they're hilarious.

Big Tex

ANYONE - my lever from off / normal drive to hi range to low range full 6 wheel drive is sticking badly and some times not going in to 6wd. Also th limiter switch under the frame appear to be broken. What does it do?

gottaluvit

I installed the rear aluminum tail light housings/bezels today. I am short one LED bulb for the stop lamp (on order/in the mail) so I subbed the the right with a 1683 incandescent temporarily to keep it legal.
View attachment 592158View attachment 592159

That's funny [thumbzup] I didn't like the cheesy plastic ones and they just look wrong. At least with the nuts, I can keep the show "family oriented"...you know, call 'em spare parts ;) They are quite the conversation piece and my wife thinks they're hilarious.
That tailgate is busy! However, I like everything you have on it. Might take a couple redlights for anyone to take it all in but once they do they'll either love it or hate it. I bet you get some thumbs up. BTW, the hex nuts are funny.

gottaluvit

Fixed my front left blackout light. Not like I use them but I just hate stuff not working. This past summer I had to replace both rear ones because I have issues and couldn't have one with one of the four LEDs not working. I ordered one and then I had two different shades of red. Also, not good for the aforementioned reason. So i finally ordered another from the same ebay seller and got a perfect match. Well, my front left was coming on and off by tapping the fender. I resoldered all the connections to no avail. After all soldered good, I wiggled each LED until I found the culprit. I noticed they were ran on the circuit board in series so I jumped across the posts of the bad one with solder and it works all the time now minus one LED. I really cant tell the difference in brightness from the left one to the right one, so it passes my issues test. Now if I can figure out how water still gets in there I will be content. I lubed every socket with dielectric grease but them darn issues won't let it rest!
20151105_192119.jpg20151105_192156.jpg

ThatXJGuy

Indeed! Great work.
Thanks! It was a long time in the making little bit at a time paint job... I probably averaged a spot a day over the last two months lol. It really only happened on like 4 different days but it was spread out. That's just a rattle can job and I may do it over someday but I wanted to do it this way the first time to see what colors I did and didn't like. Im doing my other truck in a similar fashion but with a different set of colors, much lighter and more deserty. At least at this point I can show people pictures without being a little embarrassed about how ugly it is.

gottaluvit

Thanks! It was a long time in the making little bit at a time paint job... I probably averaged a spot a day over the last two months lol. It really only happened on like 4 different days but it was spread out. That's just a rattle can job and I may do it over someday but I wanted to do it this way the first time to see what colors I did and didn't like. Im doing my other truck in a similar fashion but with a different set of colors, much lighter and more deserty. At least at this point I can show people pictures without being a little embarrassed about how ugly it is.
Eh, ugly just looks tough! MVs are the only vehicles that get away with it though. But, I know where you are coming from. I keep a rattle can of tan in my lock box so I can pretty her up right after working her.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks