• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had to bleed my system a couple times now and I've found it very easy to do. First, open the valve at the fuel filter and crank it until fuel flows out the drain tube. Should only take a few seconds. Tighten the valve and then crack open all 8 lines at the injectors and crank until they all get wet at the fittings. Again, this should only take a few seconds of cranking. Tighten the lines and the truck should start.

I've never had to use anything but a wrench and never had to baste the truck.

Vhyle

Well, I think it should take me no time to have fuel flow from the drain tube. But I installed the new mechanical pump bone dry, and I suspect that there is still no fuel flowing through the pump. My line of thinking is if I fill the pump with fuel (with said baster or something of the sort), that will get the fuel flowing. But so far, no luck.

I should also mention that I was in the process of replacing the fuel filter, so I drained it through the bottom port. But then I decided against it when I discovered the filter on the truck now only has 9,000 miles on it. So again, I figured taking a turkey baster with diesel through the vent plug port on the top would fill it back up, and help get fuel flowing again.

Sounds like the new pump isn't pumping fuel. Did you get the push rod back in the hole right before putting the new pump on? Pack it with grease to hold it in position? It's not sucking air from a loose or damaged line is it?

Last edited:

2HIJOS2126

Started my roof rack on Saturday... take it easy on critiquing my welds... it was seriously my first time welding... my friend helped me on the structural important welds and just let me run loose on the rest... I dont think I did that bad but its together and seems solid...

Attachments

2HIJOS2126

Also a mock up on some of the items I might be mounting up top... Im gonna finish cleaning up some welds and will be painting it flat black... I plan on having it done and mounted by this weekend... will post some more pics when mounted...

Attachments

ryan77

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Started working on the brakes today! Truck had no brakes when i got it! Im replacing everything brake related except the steel lines! Look's like the drivers caliper is bad and ruined the rotor!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362020170.445861.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362020184.710125.jpg

Vhyle

I made another attempt to bleed the fuel system... no luck. Just turning over and over. I cracked the injectors overnight and they are all damp with fuel, but it still won't start. I'm not getting any fuel flow through the filter.

Sounds like there's your problem. I've never had to crack the injectors. Just pull the gas cap, orange wire, add tube, crank a couple of time and good to go. Is there a leak in your fuel filter assembly?

I made another attempt to bleed the fuel system... no luck. Just turning over and over. I cracked the injectors overnight and they are all damp with fuel, but it still won't start. I'm not getting any fuel flow through the filter.
Still think your problem is with the new fuel pump or the installation. Again I have to ask about the fuel pump push rod reinstallation during the pump replacement.

Last edited:

admiralking

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362172779.301325.jpg
I bought our CUCV at government auction in California and towed it to Utah. Well after doing the starter relay modification, replacing the starter, replacing the glow plugs, fixing a fusible link, and filling all the fluids; my son and I finally went for a ride today! He was all smiles. The truck ran great. The transmission feels sound and the brakes work great. I'm gonna spend the rest of the afternoon turning my attention to cosmetic details.

Vhyle

Still think your problem is with the new fuel pump or the installation. Again I have to ask about the fuel pump push rod reinstallation during the pump replacement.
I made sure the rod was completely recessed up in the block. I used grease to hold it in place. I had to turn the crank a bit also, to get the new pump to fit properly. I'm certain it's not the install. But, I do think that the pump is still bone dry. I have a couple of things I'm gonna try this weekend.

bchauvette

Registered my M944A1 SC tags. Other than the DMV Gal. (can I say that?) having to check on how to do the transaction all went well. GL furnished everything I needed along with proof of insurance. Went on a victory drive.

Butch
M944A1
S.E.E.
5 ton trailer

ryan77

Replaced front rotors,pads,calipers,bearings,seal,brakehoses,master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders,and installed new front locking hubs!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362244031.069361.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362244043.338018.jpg

Vhyle

Diagnosing my fuel delivery problem a little more...

I still haven't gotten the air out of the system yet. I went and bought a Pittsburg brake bleeder pump from Harbor Freight to suck some air out, but the **** thing is garbage right out of the box. It holds no vacuum at all. I've tried it on different things with the different hoses it comes with, and nothing. Ugh.

However, I decided to check the new pump. I took the rubber line off of the fuel line coming from the tank, and stuck a tube funnel into it. I poured a little bit of diesel into it - filled up the hose, and the tube on the funnel. It's a clear tube so I can see the fuel. Then I went and turned the engine over, to see if the pump is actually pumping. Guess what? It's not. It didn't suck in one ounce of that fuel. So, regarding what I said earlier about being certain it's not the installation, I just may have to eat a large serving of crow. I'm gonna pull the pump back off and investigate the pushrod, and see if maybe it wasn't seated correctly. Or, if the pump itself is garbage. Looks like another cold night in the garage is in order.

SGT LongT

Diagnosing my fuel delivery problem a little more...

I still haven't gotten the air out of the system yet. I went and bought a Pittsburg brake bleeder pump from Harbor Freight to suck some air out, but the **** thing is garbage right out of the box. It holds no vacuum at all. I've tried it on different things with the different hoses it comes with, and nothing. Ugh.

However, I decided to check the new pump. I took the rubber line off of the fuel line coming from the tank, and stuck a tube funnel into it. I poured a little bit of diesel into it - filled up the hose, and the tube on the funnel. It's a clear tube so I can see the fuel. Then I went and turned the engine over, to see if the pump is actually pumping. Guess what? It's not. It didn't suck in one ounce of that fuel. So, regarding what I said earlier about being certain it's not the installation, I just may have to eat a large serving of crow. I'm gonna pull the pump back off and investigate the pushrod, and see if maybe it wasn't seated correctly. Or, if the pump itself is garbage. Looks like another cold night in the garage is in order.
I am right there with you. I ordered my replacement mechanical pump but I will be installing the Mr. Gasket diesel electric pump as a boost/primer pump as well. It is getting down to 34 degrees tonight in sunny Florida.

Vhyle

I am right there with you. I ordered my replacement mechanical pump but I will be installing the Mr. Gasket diesel electric pump as a boost/primer pump as well. It is getting down to 34 degrees tonight in sunny Florida.
The low tonight is 21 degrees. In Tennessee. I'm so over this cold weather crap. There was a time where I enjoyed it. But after spending 10 weeks in Fort Sill in the middle of the winter, my opinion changed a bit. The rest is history.

All I ask is for a few more feet of garage, so I can at least close the door when I'm turning wrenches in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks