• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne pick

I hauled two loads of 3/4 stone to my friends house, 20 mi round trip. Six yards total with a two axle hydraulic dump landscapers trailer. I was worried about the 700R4. Checked the trans temprature with an infrared thermometer, 127 deg. I was happy with that.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally installed the factory carpet over the DynaMat sound deadener. I had to send back the carpet 2 times before I got the right one. Now to install the HEMTT bucket seats.

<FYI> The correct carpet, rubber mat code for a 1086 M-1028 is G44932-0004, With this number the carpet is stamp molded to fit as a glove.

rbeasley66

I installed a secure ammo can in the back today. Something to hold tools and not move around during our Florida trail rides. I put a short piece of 2x6 under the spare tire to raise it up, always nice to have one of those to keep the jack on top of the ground. With that done the ammo can fit perfect between the spare tire and tailgate. Drilled 4 holes and mounted the straps. Now to figure out what I'll put inside the can.

Attachments

CycleJay

re: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I installed a secure ammo can in the back today. Something to hold tools and not move around during our Florida trail rides. I put a short piece of 2x6 under the spare tire to raise it up, always nice to have one of those to keep the jack on top of the ground. With that done the ammo can fit perfect between the spare tire and tailgate. Drilled 4 holes and mounted the straps. Now to figure out what I'll put inside the can.
Hello rbeasley,

Looks cool...
Now for any of us out here that want to try the same thing.
Can you tell us what caliber/size ammo can you used?
And those little brackets the straps too, and the straps,
where do we go to look for those, and what do we ask for?

Good night,

P.s. You can try putting some basic mechanics tools in there.
For needed roadside repairs, maybe some road flares, etc.
And do not forget, a roll of duct tape.

rbeasley66

It's a 50 cal. can, L-12" x W-6" x H-7"
The brackets, with 1/4" holes, I picked up at a swap meet, haven't looked but you may find them in a real hardware store.
The cinch strap is one I just had laying around, I cut the original hooks off them and slid the brackets through the looped ends.

GreenBull

It was ether this or do that.:doghead:

Just got done. 8 AC 60G glow plugs, 8 connectors, removed the 24 volt resistor and reused the cable end off it to connect to the twelve volt terminal block on the firewall. Starts right up. Nothing swollen or hard to remove. The cable end was resized with a drill easy enough. Couldn't have gone any better. The OE card gave me a good normal cycle and she started right up on my WMO blend. I'm happy.

wayne pick

Took a ride up to my hometown, Brewster NY to pick up a power steering pump bracket. A lifelong friend and schoolmate of mine has an old school junkyard there. I don't think they throw anything away. I went to retreve the bracket and inquired about the history of the engine I was taking it from as it was complete with wiring harness, spin on fuel filter plumbing and fresh paint job. No apparent leaks and it spins freely. It's a 1982 C code 6.2 rebuilt with 75k miles, block casting #14022660 with no date code, but an actual date stamp, 3-2-81. From what I understand, this is a desireable block becuase of it's high nickel content. Even though it's not a J code I couldent resist, I scored this engine for $500. I'll store it for a future project, possibly a Blazer or an M715- allways liked those old Jeeps.

chevyCUCV

Took a ride up to my hometown, Brewster NY to pick up a power steering pump bracket. A lifelong friend and schoolmate of mine has an old school junkyard there. I don't think they throw anything away. I went to retreve the bracket and inquired about the history of the engine I was taking it from as it was complete with wiring harness, spin on fuel filter plumbing and fresh paint job. No apparent leaks and it spins freely. It's a 1982 C code 6.2 rebuilt with 75k miles, block casting #14022660 with no date code, but an actual date stamp, 3-2-81. From what I understand, this is a desireable block becuase of it's high nickel content. Even though it's not a J code I couldent resist, I scored this engine for $500. I'll store it for a future project, possibly a Blazer or an M715- allways liked those old Jeeps.
Thats good planning right there, everyone should have a spare on hand:)

wayne pick

Thanks chevyCUCV, I allways intended to get a spare engine but money has been so tight with construction at a standstill here. Been thinking a rebuilt 6.5 turbo long block motor for the future. I never thought i'd stumble across a cheap rebuild though. So it's not a J code, but it's complete and hasn't been canniblised so i'll take it. I'll slap a J code intake on it and get new exhast manifolds as they are kinda crusty. Other than that i'll leave it alone. Kinda nice to have a spare. I gotta find an engine container so I can store it properly.

AC Delco 60G

It was ether this or do that.:doghead:

Just got done. 8 AC 60G glow plugs, 8 connectors, removed the 24 volt resistor and reused the cable end off it to connect to the twelve volt terminal block on the firewall. Starts right up. Nothing swollen or hard to remove. The cable end was resized with a drill easy enough. Couldn't have gone any better. The OE card gave me a good normal cycle and she started right up on my WMO blend. I'm happy.
I have recently put a set of the AC Delco 60G's into my 09. Do the 60g's take 24 volt and 12, or just 12?

chief1983

To my knowledge, none of them take 24, but the ACs are recommended for use when the resistor has been bypassed, and the Wellmans for when the resistor will still be used. But I'm not sure why this actually makes a difference, because either way I thought the system was designed to be feeding the plugs 12v. But I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 24v glow plug for the CUCVs.

Antenna mount and brush guard finally got installed, got a few pics of my Racor spin on filter, hood insulation and had an exemption plate custom cut and laser engraved to reflect the exemptions.

Attachments

hunderliggur

Para - what model #'s for the filter? What did you put under the insulation, looks black, Rhino? Are you leaving the guard black? I have tan on one side with black antenna and I like the look. Need to paint the other side and will probably go with tan also.

allenhillview

Antenna mount and brush guard finally got installed, got a few pics of my Racor spin on filter, hood insulation and had an exemption plate custom cut and laser engraved to reflect the exemptions.
Hey and Hello, Will you give me a part number or location of that material you used for the hood insulation, I like it and from the look still wipe it off at some point if gets real dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.