• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liv2Dive2

Well I added a cig lighter outlet, a radio and 2 2.5" speakers, unfortunately I ran into a voltage issue, wired the radio directly to the front battery, turned it off, but forgot to unplug a gps, couple of hours later the back battery was dead as a doornail...so put my charger on it and a couple hours later back up and running...now I have to figure out if I've got a gen problem...

Also wrapped my steering wheel in 550 cord, love it...

Last edited:

ARYankee

I got my oil filter changed and put in new oil. I also got the rear battery holder installed. I should be ready to fire it up tomorrow :)

ARYankee

Well it came to life today!!! I feel like its Christmas!!! I still have some door seals and what not but the major question has been answered and that was will it start and run. I guess I'll get back out there in a few and complete some more items on my list. It just sucks when it is 105 out.

combatmech

Removed fuel tank and found the packing under the sending unit lock ring had slid out of it's groove. Installed new packing, applied sealant to re-installed sending unit. What a pain....If anyone else gets a sending unit from LMC, the o-ring needs to be stretched out a little to fit the groove on the tank.

While I was under the truck, R&R'd my main drive shaft u-joints. I had been getting some strange noises during accleration last week. The rear U-joint fell apart as soon as it was off the truck.

ARYankee

I got a couple more little things done this evening. I replaced the side marker lenses, tail light lenses, and front clear lenses with new ones from LMC. Just some cosmetic stuff. I plan on changing the transmission filter next weekend before I put new fluid in there along with a few other things.

combatmech

Oops.....Kinda scary event

While I was under the truck, R&R'd my main drive shaft u-joints. I had been getting some strange noises during acceleration last week. The rear U-joint fell apart as soon as it was off the truck.[/QUOTE]

Before and after the U-joint change I was getting a strange vibe at about 50-55. This morning the rear yoke came apart and the drive shaft fell off the truck. Good thing I was right near an exit on the freeway and the drive shaft didn't hit anyone or anything behind me. Coasted to a stop, did a quick inspection, locked the front hubs, hit 4 high and drove home. Which wasn't far.
On my way back to work, tried to locate the DS at the side of the road. No luck..... Just glad that no one behind me got smacked with the DS as it departed the truck.
We suspect that one of the clips came loose or one of the rear yoke retaining straps wasn't holding too well. Both of the retaining straps are gone and all four bolts are broken off.

chief1983

Same thing happened to me on Hwy N near my place. Luckily it was the middle of the night and no one was around. I was able to find my drive shaft though. I'll never be ignoring that vibration again. Second time I've had to limp home in front-wheel drive though. Drove just like my dad's Grand Prix :p

wilsonmotors

ok i didnt do all of this today but all with in the last month. got my ord fush kit in and 8in lift greaseable joints at all 6 points of the front springs and the d60 bolted up. got my 2wd gear box and my ord cross over steering with high steer. got my th400 to np205 adp and twin sticked 205 in. got my ord shackle flip and 89 1ton burb springs in with the 14bolt. and got my diy4x shackles in and greaseable joints at all 6 mounting points. got my new 31 gal tank in. got the injectors rebuilt and in and new glow plugs. new batteries in and did my combat red led dash lights. and got my new 37x12.50x17 wrangler mtr's mounted and im shure there is something im forgetting but o whell.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

QUESTION: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

ANSWER: Not a freaking thing.:oops:

edpdx

To day I installed a new rear window regulator in my Blazer. The handle finally gave out and would not roll the tailgate window up or down. I thought it was the clutch at first; but it was the tiny crank gear between the two large elevator gears.

While I was in there I cleaned out the mud built up in the bottom of the door, soaked the latches and added new foam donuts to the rods. There was no felt in the channel guides, so I replaced it with some hunter orange felt I had. Also installed new top/cap channel guides and inner and outer sweeps.

OOOPS! Almost forgot... Washed the interior of the endgate and installed fatmat (lowes roof flashing) to quiet the gate down.

This tailgate overhaul was thorough; but not as difficult or hard to understand as I thought it would be. The gate feels and sounds more solid/quiet. The window cranks up and down smoothly and the clutch was just fine; showing only acceptable wear.

If your endgate window is taking a lot to crank up or down I highly recommend this overhaul. Good one day project.

The regulator was about $135 shipped. Comes with new rollers and is easy to install. It is an ACDELCO part
15641780. Shop the web by part number and look for free shipping.

Your window troubles may not be the clutch, mine wasn't. Besides the overhaul with new parts means your existing OEM clutch- hard to find, will last longer not working so hard and wearing so fast.
NOTE. The middle adjustment screw of the latch control is a LEFT thread screw- don't shear this turning it the wrong way.
gate.jpg

ARYankee

To day I installed a new rear window regulator in my Blazer. The handle finally gave out and would not roll the tailgate window up or down. I thought it was the clutch at first; but it was the tiny crank gear between the two large elevator gears.

While I was in there I cleaned out the mud built up in the bottom of the door, soaked the latches and added new foam donuts to the rods. There was no felt in the channel guides, so I replaced it with some hunter orange felt I had. Also installed new top/cap channel guides and inner and outer sweeps.

OOOPS! Almost forgot... Washed the interior of the endgate and installed fatmat (lowes roof flashing) to quiet the gate down.

This tailgate overhaul was thorough; but not as difficult or hard to understand as I thought it would be. The gate feels and sounds more solid/quiet. The window cranks up and down smoothly and the clutch was just fine; showing only acceptable wear.

If your endgate window is taking a lot to crank up or down I highly recommend this overhaul. Good one day project.

The regulator was about $135 shipped. Comes with new rollers and is easy to install. It is an ACDELCO part
15641780. Shop the web by part number and look for free shipping.

Your window troubles may not be the clutch, mine wasn't. Besides the overhaul with new parts means your existing OEM clutch- hard to find, will last longer not working so hard and wearing so fast.
NOTE. The middle adjustment screw of the latch control is a LEFT thread screw- don't shear this turning it the wrong way.
View attachment 350722

I still have to fix mine because I have the same issue. At the moment I have the window secured in the up position. I wasn't too sure how difficult this repair would be but after reading your thread, it makes me feel like I could fix this. I think I will do a good thorough clean out and rebuild. Thanks for sharing this.

ARYankee

I got my transmission filter changed out and new fluid added. When I pulled the pan it looked really good in there. I'm in the middle of replacing the door rubber. The seal mounted on the door seems to be a bit of a pain. I do have a few more issues to resolve but I'm slowly and methodically getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.