• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleJay

Hello Wheelspinner,

I am sorry to see what happened to your M1009.
But for the removeable roof, check with your local camper shell shops for a removeavle roof for a 1985 K5 Blazer.

As for the cab roof, go to a local bodyshop, they should be able to pull the dents out and fix that problem.
As for parts, the local bodyshop should be able to cover that too, if there is any you need.

Just my $0.02 cents...

CycleJay

Thundercracker,

Thank you, I thought that was a good question. I do not have that mount either.
But if I find one, I will put it in, so I can install whatever should go there, especailly if I could use it.
Otherwise I will do it anyway, just to bring my M1009 to stock fully equipped condition, with all the parts issued to an M1009.

Just my $0.02 cents...

cpf240

Thundercracker,

Thank you, I thought that was a good question. I do not have that mount either.
But if I find one, I will put it in, so I can install whatever should go there, especailly if I could use it.
Otherwise I will do it anyway, just to bring my M1009 to stock fully equipped condition, with all the parts issued to an M1009.

Just my $0.02 cents...
CJ - That bracket if for a chemical agent alarm. See this thread here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?12148-Anyone-know-what-this-mount-is-for

One thing to keep in mind is that not every CUCV had every piece of equipment issued to it. If it was assigned to a unit that didn't need it, it wouldn't have been issued. Otherwise they would all have winterization kits, etc. This would probably fall under the TOE for the unit they were assigned to.

ryan77

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I thought it was a mount for my cooler to hold a 12 back of Pabst!!!

wayne pick

I did some tinkering with the shade tree M1009 today just to pass some time, removing the GP resistor that someone had wired to the 12v conversion and manual GP card bypass. I put 12v to the GP solinoid, gave the plugs 10sec of heat, it coughed once. I gave it another 4sec of heat and it lit right off. Both the high idle and timing advance actually work on this thing. Again, no blue or black smoke. Go figure!

Keith_J

Finally sprung my M1031 from the auto and truck show downtown. Snagged a non-working Robotool (24 volt 3/4" impact wrench) so it was worth it. Broken cord, easy fix :grd:

Dirty1

Well yesterday was new belts, doghead and vent window install. The plow frame is also on. Just waiting on the pump and my welder to finish up on the plow frame. I am thinking that I need tires as well.

Removed the instrument cluster, disassembled, and cleaned everything including buffing the lens clear again. Cleaned and repaired the shift indicator and steel wooled all of the printed circuit connections. Replaced all of the 194 peanut bulbs with higher wattage 168 bulbs. (now I have more than 1 working bulb in the cluster) Made a HUGE difference. I also replaced the under-dash interior lamp bulb. Now I don't have to keep a flashlight next to me for night driving to see the gauges.

CycleJay

re; What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Removed the instrument cluster, disassembled, and cleaned everything including buffing the lens clear again. Cleaned and repaired the shift indicator and steel wooled all of the printed circuit connections. Replaced all of the 194 peanut bulbs with higher wattage 168 bulbs. (now I have more than 1 working bulb in the cluster) Made a HUGE difference. I also replaced the under-dash interior lamp bulb. Now I don't have to keep a flashlight next to me for night driving to see the gauges.
Hello,

Here is a simple question.
How did you replace the bulb behind the speedometer? Did you pull out the speedometer?

I was in there a couple of weeks ago, to replace the fuel gauge, but could not get that bulb out.
My fingers were not long enough to get that bulb out, and I did not want to pull the speedometer
out, or move it around too much and run the risk of damaging something. Or use a pliers or anything,
and break a bulb.

I will go in there and try again though, because I would really like to replace that bulb, since it too is burned out.
All the other bulbs work though, except behind the fuel gauge, since the socket is missing.

Where do I find one?

My shift indicator is not working either, how did you fix yours to make it work?
Mine is not connected, and the part that the string wraps around is broken off.

Just my $0.02...

Keith_J

installed 2 optima redtop batts.starts real nice.
Sure, they will spin the engine but they lack reserve capacity to heat the glow plugs in cold weather. IIRC, they are something like 45 amp-hour rated where Group 31s are 85 amp hour and 6TLs are 100.

Better have a gear reduction starter if you want to run Red Tops.

Cyclejay, all of the bulbs come out from the back side of the cluster by turning the socket 1/4 turn. No need to pull the gauges. You should be able to get to all of them from under the dash. If you have broken pieces on your shift indicator you will need to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.