• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinny

Added an FM100 primary filter, changed the mechanical fuel pump, and swapped all fuel lines in the engine bay. Now addressing the cuts on my arms...

alburms311

Replaced my DL7157 gen1 after two weeks of light use with another one, at least getting a replacement was painless. Should be interesting to see if I just got a dud or what. Guess its time to rebuild my original.

scottladdy

Finally got around to replacing the following in my M1008A1:

1) Radiator - Spectra Premium/Cooling Depot CU850. Nice piece but made in China. 4 core copper/brass product. I had to trim the extra collar around the low coolant sensor to get it to fit. But once done, fit nicely and works properly too. Radiator had developed a pinhole leak, and a re-core was just too dang expensive.

While I was at it:

2) Heater core with Spectra Premium 94553. How long will it be before the core developed a leak, so changed it.

3) Water Pump - GM# 88926125/ACD# 252-611. Started seeing coolant in the lower weep hole, so while I had the rad out ...

4) Shorted Kat's block heater #11612. First one I had was shorted out, so it was replaced under warranty. New one works fine.

I did this in the 50+ degree weather we had weekend before last.

All was working well until I was driving home from a boy scout troop meeting and the Gen1 light came on. Headlights dimmed and heater blower slowed a bit. Got home, pulled the alt. It was the correct new Delco Remy part number, but clearly a newer than original alt that someone had previously "worked" on as it was missing two of the four housing bolts. Rotor was open (infinite resistance), and saw winding severed. So, now I am waiting for my new alternator to arrive at my door.

Noted a few weeks ago..... had an issue with charging system pushing 30+ volts and then nothing....... i had gen1 rebuilt, due to being in a rush to be mission ready, for a trail ride, ( which, fell through at the last minute...) cost me 80something bucks.... Stll pushed 30+ volts. I then went and had Gen2 rebuilt at a different vendor... (cost $25.00 helping out an ole school disabled vet... PRICELESS.. He has a customer for life BTW....) Went ahead and paid him to build me a replacement spare, should be ready in a few days.... System currently still pushing 29-30 volts... Thinking the high dollar rebuild on GEN1 is kinda hot, cranking out a full 15+ volts... ( voltmeter in dash currently sits just a hair in the red, and not in the normal green position..) gonna wait until i have spare in hand and installed to see if it drops it down to the correct 28 volts.

Last edited:

scottladdy

Noted a few weeks ago..... had an issue with charging system pushing 30+ volts and then nothing....... i had gen1 rebuilt, due to being in a rush to be mission ready, for a trail ride, ( which, fell through at the last minute...) cost me 80something bucks.... Stll pushed 30+ volts. I then went and had Gen2 rebuilt at a different vendor... (cost $25.00 helping out an ole school disabled vet... PRICELESS.. He has a customer for life BTW....) Went ahead and paid him to build me a replacement spare, should be ready in a few days.... System currently still pushing 29-30 volts... Thinking the high dollar rebuild on GEN1 is kinda hot, cranking out a full 15+ volts... ( voltmeter in dash currently sits just a hair in the red, and not in the normal green position..) gonna wait until i have spare in hand and installed to see if it drops it down to the correct 28 volts.
Suggestion:

Check the voltage across the terminals in each battery separately with engine running and dash voltmeter in the red. Report back what you find please.

deuce200385

New seat belts from lmc...old ones didnt retract.New tie rod and ends from ORD.... still gotta coat it in bed liner before install...New speedo cable from lmc which after searching a little I now think is gonna be to short....New vent window handles...

BikerBi11

2-2-13 004.jpg2-2-13 005.jpg2-2-13 006.jpgStock Blazer seats are a bolt in for the M1009. The floor even has the latch mechanism for the passenger seat to fold forward. As I am painting mine a desert camo, the tan seats and door panels will fit rite in!!

hodgeb

Squirted some grease into the zerks, probably the first time that's been done in 25 years! :p Surprised by how few zerks there were, but it was still enough to take most of the 'small' marine grease tubes.

Changed out the oil with some Rotella 15W and replaced the filter. She was a bit overdue :? with almost 6k since the last oil change! Thankfully she's still relatively low miles and there doesn't appear to be any resulting problems, but I should've done it when I first got her. Much MUCH quieter now, though, to be sure.

Finally got the belt pulley tension right so that there's only minimal squealing of the driver's side alt belt after a start.

Got the wires and additional engine bay terminals to convert the inside cab bus bars over from 24V to 12V, figure it's easier and cleaner to do it that way than to run new wires and to ignore a bus bar I'll never use.

Spent maybe an hour trying to identify where the coolant leak is coming from; I think it's the radiator itself, and will need to be pulled and patched. Bother! How did that happen?! These old trucks sure do need a lot of loving... I'll have to wait for much warmer weather, I suppose.

Found out where my parasitic power drain was coming from, just need to figure out how to isolate it and fix it without cutting a bunch of wires and making a big mess...

rsh4364

today bled injectors,because I replaced fuel filter the wrong way..also changed out bad looking alt.belt that was starting to squeal,but more importantly a few weeks ago i changed out hydrobooster as it was leaking pwr.steering fluid onto my floor,while i was there decided to replace master-cyl.and calipers,pads as well,after everything was swapped with new parts,filled up mc with new dot 5 brake fluid and decided to vacuum all old fluids from lines with hand held vac. pump,when i got to rear brakes i got alot of air i didnt think was there..kept pumping til i got nice clean fluid from both sides,was really easy and truck brakes like new now.You would not beleave how dirty the fluid was i drew out...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I spent some time with the M1010. Did the starter relay mod, pulled a rooftop spotlight wire that had been pulled back in the roof and added a Vega GT steering wheel. Last Saturday was the recessed receiver hitch. My next assault will be new switches in the focus lights.

Dirty1

Plowed my dads driveway and mine today. It did awesome!! I also had to pull it out of a snowbank with my F350. I went just a little to far to the left and slid off the driveway. Lol!

wayne pick

Oh, that's just wrong! :shock:

Just kidding.... Sounds interesting, actually. :)

Why, and how was the swap? Straight bolt-in? Or did you have to fab something?
Unlike Ford and Chrysler, GM had process called parts bin manufacturing if im not mistaken, building few parts that makeup many vehicles. many parts will Interchange between the GM brands from the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:

Vhyle

Rewired my driver side taillight for the THIRD time now. Instead of using butt connectors, I soldered them, and I did a better job of tucking up the wiring with a zip tie. If the stupid dog chews them up again, then I think she may have to take a one-way trip to Abu Dhabi.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steering wheel was a straight swap. The same steering wheel was used in camaros and Z/28s as well. I have used these on just about every older GM I've ever owned. My M1008 has one as well and I know JW4x4 uses that same wheel. It's a super durable wheel, little thicker to hold and a little smaller in diameter. Here's a pic during the install and a pic of one on the Vega GT.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks