• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durango_USMC

Vhyle,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been reading threads all over the place. Going to look at the vacuum lines when I get a chance and I was also reading the trans filter might be plugged up and causing some issues as well. I'm also looking at a tiny tach which should tell me something about shift points. I've also read that sometimes its hard to feel it go from 2nd to 3rd. It seems like its revving a lot higher at 40-45mph and I get some vibration/shuddering around that speed. But good call on the vacuum lines.

Durango_USMC

Maybe I need to push it a bit harder? I know I didnt get it past 45 the other day. Well in another case of mechanical ADD... while attempting to inspect the vacuum system for the transmission I ended up at the gen 2 alternator. I think I found my Gen 2 light and voltmeter issue. The orange wire is nearly severed and the stud that the orange and red wires attach to is loose. The nut and wires are frozen to the stud but the stud turns back and forth in the alternator. Think that might be the cause? I also talked to a friend of mine who knows more about the M1008 than I and I may be getting her old (but good) TH400 that is in great shape (shes doing a NV4500 swap) but negotiations will happen more than likely on monday.

86k10

Changed the gearing to 3.21 and am loving it. But had to change the front to a 10 bolt since 3.21 is not a possibility for the d60 at least not that i could find. But since it just drives around and occasionally pulls trailer it will be fine.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the shocks today. The truck is pushing 97K for miles, and I think the shocks were originals.

They all came off without drama, reminding me why I am SO glad to be out of the rusty states. The backs went on ok, not much difficulty. The fronts were slightly more challenging because of Monroe's use of spacers instead of a long bushing on top- I felt like I needed a couple more hands to get it all in. The right front was the worst, only because the QA department at Monroe let a shock out with the steel bushing not quite centered in the rubber bushing.

The old shocks (Delco) had zero resistance on compression, and not much on extension. I took it out for a test drive afterward and the ride is significantly better. I seem to have lost that weird squatting feeling when accelerating from a stop.

I went with Rock Auto for the shocks, and there's a rebate right now.
FRONT: MONROE Part # 34944
REAR: MONROE Part # 34824

Shocks1.jpgShocks2.jpg

Last edited:

K9Vic

On my 84 M1009 I turned down the fuel as it is a 6.5L mechanical pump that came out of the 1 GEN 6.5L turbo and I never put the 6.2L Banks turbo on mine. So I was getting too much fuel and I needed to correct that as I know the guy had turned it up. Doing this also checked to see if the IP is OK looking for rubber diaphragm fragments and it was OK. Took it on a test drive and still a little bit of black smoke when you floor it, but not nearly as much as before. It may need a little bit more tweak, but I think it will be OK.

I used this method, since my pump was from a 6.5L it also had an internal spring on the throttle lever that you have to put back. Not too bad with two screw drivers you can manipulate the spring into the holder slot. What is not in the video is that you should also crank your engine in two 10-15 second cycles waiting 30 seconds between cycles to put fuel back into the chamber leaving the pink wire off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnoct-21vNY

I still have my M1031 that I need to fix, it either as a running problem with engine speed or the transmission is bad. I know my IP is OK as there are not fragments inside it as I checked, but the injectors may be bad and the cause of the resistance in engine speed. It does idle rough, so I am going to dig into that, replace them and go from there before I spend $1000 on a rebuilt TH400.

shaker

I am thinking about installing some gauges on my m1009 I think the first will be a small tach any ideas on how to install one as in where do I hook it up to?

lindyp38

after reading thru several pages of postings.....i diagnosed and repaired a loose alternator wire that was causing a poor start and not allowing rear battery to fully charge.......what a difference.......thank you to all who posted on the alternator topic.......i even managed to use my multi meter too.........thanks again mario

Status
Not open for further replies.