• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9Vic

I still have my M1031 that I need to fix, it either as a running problem with engine speed or the transmission is bad. I know my IP is OK as there are not fragments inside it as I checked, but the injectors may be bad and the cause of the resistance in engine speed. It does idle rough, so I am going to dig into that, replace them and go from there before I spend $1000 on a rebuilt TH400.
Fuel filter, it was about a year old as I always mark them with a date when I replace them. All is good now after a 10 mile test drive.

Durango_USMC

Didn't know I had to lock them in 4 high. Doesnt really matter at this point, the truck is deadlined until further notice. I drove it a couple miles today as I took back roads and the speed was low. On the way home after going through a school zone (25mph) I accellerated to 35-40mph and the truck started bouncing and shaking violently, it felt like I was going to loose a wheel or an axle. I got it pulled over and looked it over, but didnt see anything obvious. I decided to limp it home the mile and a half left I had to go. It had no issues going 30-35mph and I wasn't going to press my luck. The truck now resides in the garage until I can figure out what went wrong. I dont know if its the transmission, the brake (because it made a slight skidding sound when it was shaking and bouncing I think), or some other issue. Part of the joys of owning a 27 year old truck with an unknown service history right?

chief1983

Anyway, yeah you have to lock the front hubs for any sort of 4WD behavior. The visors should actually have the 4x4 info stickers on them if you're lucky and don't have your -10 manual handy. Driving in 4 with the hubs unlocked could be damaging to the drivetrain. 'Death wobble' is a commonly mentioned affliction of CUCVs that I believe is usually traced to the steering components. If your driveshaft and everything looked fine, and it drives fine under 35, I'd search the forums for 'death wobble' and start inspecting your steering components.

Durango_USMC

Good to know. I'm starting to think I shouldve got a M998 instead as I know more about those than I do on with the CUCV. I'm more than a little behind on the learning curve with these. But I'm learning... The visor does have a sticker but its too cooked to read all that clearly. So looks like I'll be inspecting steering components sometime today or whenever I happen to end up having time. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited:

True Knight

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Good to know. I'm starting to think I shouldve got a M998 instead as I know more about those than I do on with the CUCV. I'm more than a little behind on the learning curve with these. But I'm learning... The visor does have a sticker but its too cooked to read all that clearly. So looks like I'll be inspecting steering components sometime today or whenever I happen to end up having time. Thanks for the help so far guys.
It's death wobble. Get new kingpin springs and bushings. It's an easy job too. 99% of the time the springs are just too worn to keep enough pressure on the bushing. With big tires an added I/8" thick washer and new spring will do the trick.

Check the whole steering system for other issues too. It's a pretty important system to have working properly.

Last edited:

CA_LEO

Well, you are definitely in the right place to ask questions if you get stuck, confused, or have a question the TM's don't answer. Here is your opportunity to start learning a new machine.

Herewego

I sheared of a starter bolt today. It happened 30 miles from home at a gas station. I went to start the truck after fueling up and I heard a nasty grinding sound. While I was on my back trying to access the situation I discovered that my friendly (now previous) mechanic failed to re-secure the starter bracket. I got lucky and was able to tighten the one remaining bolt, start the truck, and drive to my (new) mechanic shop. I really wish I had my own auto lift to do things myself instead of relying on other incompetent/shady mechanics. It sucks laying on your back to work on the truck.

True Knight

Well I didn't work on the CUCV today, but I was working on another car and took this picture. What a difference!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364530828.808248.jpg

scottladdy

Replaced the trashed rear Transfer Case seal on the M1008A1. Topped off the TC with fluid. It's dry again under the truck (well, except for the rear main which will be changed in warmer weather)

2HIJOS2126

Got my auxillary lighting installed... Some Rigid Industries D series lights (with green covers) behind my grill... a couple of Anzo 7" HID lights up on my safari rack and also some Walmart cheapos pointed towards the rear... Installed my switches on my .50 cal ammo box console... Also went on a junkyard hunt yesterday... picked up some drip rail molding retainers... a spare tire carrier (with matching 8 lug steel wheel) and some doors off a blazer... Might get started on cutting up the doors and fabing up some square tube doors tomorrow... *** Question for my peeps on here... where could I find door latches for my doors??? Like the ones that are on the aftermarket off road round tube doors...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my auxillary lighting installed... Some Rigid Industries D series lights (with green covers) behind my grill... a couple of Anzo 7" HID lights up on my safari rack and also some Walmart cheapos pointed towards the rear... Installed my switches on my .50 cal ammo box console... Also went on a junkyard hunt yesterday... picked up some drip rail molding retainers... a spare tire carrier (with matching 8 lug steel wheel) and some doors off a blazer... Might get started on cutting up the doors and fabing up some square tube doors tomorrow... *** Question for my peeps on here... where could I find door latches for my doors??? Like the ones that are on the aftermarket off road round tube doors...
There's a guy on my local craigslist selling some doors made by these guys. They might be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.