• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

Reworked LMTV

Got deep into it the past few days and swapped a C7 from this M1078A1R. The original engine was locked up tight with so few miles on it and no explanation of why after disassembly. I did the typical "pull injectors and fill with penetrating oil and time" trick, pulled ALL accessory drives from starter to fan clutch, and even suspected locked torque converter when it wouldn't move but no..stuck solid. Oil was filtered showing no metal or contamination. I'm suspecting manufacturer error until I confirm it with a machine shop. The CAT tech in assistance couldn't pinpoint the fault either.

She is alive and well now! Pushing out 370 hp and runs so smooooth. I'm probably on a very short list of civi's to swap an engine on an A1R and it wasn't that bad. It has just a few more wires and hoses than your 3116.
What did the c7 set you back ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the front propeller shaft balanced and new U joints. Couple of tricks to make it go a little easer when by yourself. One is I use this cable master lock to hold up one end of the shaft because I do not have a helper. You can adjust it looser or tighter real quick to get the shaft level so you can install one end first. I go with the transmission side first.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did one of mine a few weeks ago. Someone had been in there and left the thrust bearing out. They look pretty cheesy to me!
You say left it out. Looks like I see some of the thrust bearing and thrust washer. You think someone just did not put grease on both to make them stick to the hub on install?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy fricking 4th. Got up early before it got to hot and pulled rear rear shaft on the 1088. My data plate has the extra D stamp but they did not balance my front or rear rear propeller shaft. O well what else is new with the former MV's as in got to check everything somebody else did. One joint was so tight had to get the 3/4 drive out to remove it.

Attachments

dxhend2

NIce Goodyear tires!!! What is the blue tape for?
(Hat tip brokeoverland.com). Keeping track on the bolt torque sequence (from the tech manual). Tape on the tire was for the 20 bolts holding the rim halves together. After putting the wheel on the hub, just moved tape marks 1-10 onto the hub for the ten lug nut sequence. After hitting the torque setting, put a check mark on the tape so you know that one's done (they don't always hit it in order, depending how tight each one is). Slow process, but it works. Also, this torque wrench has a reversible head. They're calibrated in one direction only, so flipping the head lets you properly torque the left-handed threads on the driver's side wheels counter-clockwise.

rockDAWG

(Hat tip brokeoverland.com). Keeping track on the bolt torque sequence (from the tech manual). Tape on the tire was for the 20 bolts holding the rim halves together. After putting the wheel on the hub, just moved tape marks 1-10 onto the hub for the ten lug nut sequence. After hitting the torque setting, put a check mark on the tape so you know that one's done (they don't always hit it in order, depending how tight each one is). Slow process, but it works. Also, this torque wrench has a reversible head. They're calibrated in one direction only, so flipping the head lets you properly torque the left-handed threads on the driver's side wheels counter-clockwise.
Excellent! nice work flow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks