• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That reverse light bezel is awesome!

The headlights are already done:

Sean:

Chad:
Yep see those! We were talking about turn signals and tail lights. By the way before you go buy and cheap Chinese headlights for 50 bucks go watch the video from headlight revolution on YouTube. Most of those so-called cheap Chinese headlights are complete crap. I managed to find a set of truck-lite brand mil-spec LED headlights for a good deal.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Guruman

Not so new member
I got my drivelines back from the shop. Had it done at Fort Wayne Powertrain. In Fort Wayne, Indiana. An old timer helped me unload the shafts. took one look and knew they were 1610 joints. Asked if the yokes on the truck were full or half round. Despite having the "D" stamped on my ID tag, they were out of balance. They spun them, balanced them and painted them for ~600 bucks. Had them back in 3 days.

Getting them out was a huge pain in the arse, even with the u-joint tool. It took a LOT of force to get those to budge.

Pro tip for working on these... I had a cheap wooden movers dolly I got from Tractor Supply. I dropped 2 regular jack stands on it and set the driveline on the stands. One stand was almost fully extended, and the other slightly lower. I rolled the whole thing under the truck, and getting it back on the truck was not so much of a struggle (except for getting to those grease joints after it was in).
IMG_2158.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got my drivelines back from the shop. Had it done at Fort Wayne Powertrain. In Fort Wayne, Indiana. An old timer helped me unload the shafts. took one look and knew they were 1610 joints. Asked if the yokes on the truck were full or half round. Despite having the "D" stamped on my ID tag, they were out of balance. They spun them, balanced them and painted them for ~600 bucks. Had them back in 3 days.

Getting them out was a huge pain in the arse, even with the u-joint tool. It took a LOT of force to get those to budge.

Pro tip for working on these... I had a cheap wooden movers dolly I got from Tractor Supply. I dropped 2 regular jack stands on it and set the driveline on the stands. One stand was almost fully extended, and the other slightly lower. I rolled the whole thing under the truck, and getting it back on the truck was not so much of a struggle (except for getting to those grease joints after it was in).
View attachment 867963
Heck of a neat idea!
Especially with smooth ground under you.

That $600 was a good investment in your truck (and your happiness too!). Chances are that you won't have to do anything to that part of the truck again - other than a little grease from time to time.

INFChief

Changed to engine oil & filter. I must have looked at the wrong TM. This thing guzzled 27 quarts! I was expected 21 to 22. Had to run to the store to buy 6 more quarts.

Did a (somewhat) more thorough undercarriage & general inspection. Found a bad exhaust clamp & ordered on from eBay. Checked the driveshaft U-Joint cap screws to make sure they were tight. Need to replace the air compressor head to air dryer braided line & the braided air drier line to the frame rail. Both are kinked.

I need to have some front air brake chamber hoses made. Both left & right side are chaffed from running together for 20 years.

Look at these photos and help me ID this piece of metal stuck to the engine oil drain plug. Almost looks like the tip of an automotive seal pick. But it twists like a cows horn.

Attachments

INFChief

gslader

Upgraded the drivers door handle today. Thanks to all the brave souls that have gone before me on this and posted youtube videos! It made my day much easier. The biggest headache for me was that my truck came stock with the door components switched sides and inverted so I had to create all new door rods with no template to go from so the fitment exercise was really time consuming. Other than that it was less challenging than expected. I do have to say that moment of cutting my door panel with a jigsaw - the point of no return - did raise my heart rate a bit but the trimark door handles are really forgiving in terms of fitting and the faceplate is nice and wide so it gives good “oopsy” coverage. Oh yeah, I was able to avoid cutting the 4” hole int he back of the door, not sure that it really matters but seemed like a lot of meat to cut.

92637E82-9761-4274-B132-6898DC8FB2C2.jpeg

Interior
83A07659-A7C0-4D11-9657-8D91466BBD2B.jpeg

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upgraded the drivers door handle today. Thanks to all the brave souls that have gone before me on this and posted youtube videos! It made my day much easier. The biggest headache for me was that my truck came stock with the door components switched sides and inverted so I had to create all new door rods with no template to go from so the fitment exercise was really time consuming. Other than that it was less challenging than expected. I do have to say that moment of cutting my door panel with a jigsaw - the point of no return - did raise my heart rate a bit but the trimark door handles are really forgiving in terms of fitting and the faceplate is nice and wide so it gives good “oopsy” coverage. Oh yeah, I was able to avoid cutting the 4” hole int he back of the door, not sure that it really matters but seemed like a lot of meat to cut.

View attachment 868683

Interior
View attachment 868684
Very nice that's the same handles I got. Haven't installed them yet because I'm looking for a day where I have enough time to do it all in one shot

Guruman

Not so new member
How much per mile did you have to pay to get them hauled to you if you dont mind ?
Well, to be honest, I don't know.

I have a former client (owned by my step brother) that is a very large steel fabrication business. They make large bedding boxes, snow pushers, and what not. Due to the size of the stuff they make they started their own shipping division, so that they could pack other freight into otherwise empty steel boxes to maximize the loads.

To make a long story shorter. I asked them to quote the freight for getting it delivered to the steel plant because they have a huge 30 ton overhead crane they could use to drop it on my LMTV. (that was awesome BTW, I'll try to attach a vid.) Edit: Guess not....

I've worked in IT for nearly 30 years now, and I've provided a ton of help and advice to my step brother for his business. We built a huge wifi mesh network that covers the whole campus, and installed security cameras everywhere to cover the weird things that employees tend to do, and I've given him a bunch of help and never charged him. They picked up the tab for the hotshot, so it was free to me.

The best Veritread quote for the nearly 1000 miles was $1350, and before they decided to pay for it, my friends at SteelMart expected to be able to get it for a couple hundred dollars cheaper than that. I hope that helps a bit.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, to be honest, I don't know.

I have a former client (owned by my step brother) that is a very large steel fabrication business. They make large bedding boxes, snow pushers, and what not. Due to the size of the stuff they make they started their own shipping division, so that they could pack other freight into otherwise empty steel boxes to maximize the loads.

To make a long story shorter. I asked them to quote the freight for getting it delivered to the steel plant because they have a huge 30 ton overhead crane they could use to drop it on my LMTV. (that was awesome BTW, I'll try to attach a vid.) Edit: Guess not....

I've worked in IT for nearly 30 years now, and I've provided a ton of help and advice to my step brother for his business. We built a huge wifi mesh network that covers the whole campus, and installed security cameras everywhere to cover the weird things that employees tend to do, and I've given him a bunch of help and never charged him. They picked up the tab for the hotshot, so it was free to me.

The best Veritread quote for the nearly 1000 miles was $1350, and before they decided to pay for it, my friends at SteelMart expected to be able to get it for a couple hundred dollars cheaper than that. I hope that helps a bit.
Thanks for the info i was curious what fuzzytoaster paid for that stepdeck in the picture cost him to move his 2 trucks .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I installed little 12 volt LED panels under each door and three in the toolbox under the top front edge and under the left and right edges that face inward halfway down in. All of them will be activated by a door jamb switch

Nice idea!

Never gave much thought to lights in that box...
Beats a flashlight hands down and for sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks