• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the burning question now is this. Do I try and find someone with a tan top who needs a camo top and trade? Or do I paint the truck to match the top?
Like ramdough said, it’s what you prefer. Me, I live near mountain areas where there are a lot of tree and the camo fits right in where as a tan color stands out.
I passed on numerous vehicles because they were tan and waited for the right camo truck to bid on.
Either way you go will be good!
As I always say, to each their own.
Tom.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me the most cost effective is to paint the Cargo Cover to match best you can. Those covers are heavy .... shipping expensive.

Nothing wrong with trying first though. Put the word out and see who bites?
Does paint even stick to them? Seems like it would just flake off, from all the flexing.

coachgeo

Does paint even stick to them? Seems like it would just flake off, from all the flexing.
Polyurethane/elastomeric paints I do believe is the recommendation. here is an example

Finding similar formula w/out it being heavily aimed to the boating world (big price mark up in that industry) and you likely can bring the cost down. Still not cheap likely.... then again neither is shipping..... so find out what is nearby (or not) for a swap thing first

Last edited:

coachgeo

They make a fabric dye for automotive seats and carpet and such that comes in a spray can like paint.... That might work. I thought about dying mine black or gray with it.

I used the same stuff to dye my floor mats a medium gray instead of the olive color...

Edit:https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-EHVP10600-Black-Performance-Fabric/dp/B00098PO3G
Having not had my hands on a FMTV cover Im not sure.... but would suspect that while they are canvas.... they are liklely also PVC coated unlike the past. If that is the case then a dye likely won't work. And dieing light color over dark???? not sure that works anyway.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having not had my hands on a FMTV cover Im not sure.... but would suspect that while they are canvas.... they are liklely also PVC coated unlike the past. If that is the case then a dye likely won't work. And dieing light color over dark???? not sure that works anyway.
They aren't canvas. They're a rubberized/plasticized material, like a white water raft is made out of.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a year or so out of painting them but they will crack and flake. There's no way around it as it's a material flexing thing. Shipping isn't bad but you have to fold it right. I believe I have a LMTV tan cover (used) but I'll need to unfold it to check the overall condition.

Guruman

Not so new member
you might have a point about the light over dark....

The stuff I used was specifically for vinyl seats.... I've had good luck turning old blue or red seats into nice looking black ones. I did some in an old Capri, and then again in an old Scout, each lasted a couple of years at least, then I sold them, so I have no idea how long it actually lasted, but a couple of years at least.

I made sure the seats were really clean and free of any grease/oil, and I never had any issues with the color peeling or flaking off. FWIW.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with a automotive paint store and ask what did they use in paint for rubber car bumper skirts that make the paint flexible it an additive would probly work !

coachgeo

@flyfishtrailer ... I got a ping out to a person who looks like they painted theirs bright red (fire service truck) 4yrs ago. Hopefully he will reply and update on how it has worked out and what they used.
well sad news...... mayyyyyyyyybeee good news.

one it was not painted.... it was custom made new. so no help with paint info buttttttt... might mean though that a pattern exist in the records of the company that made it??

Third From Texas

well sad news...... mayyyyyyyyybeee good news.

one it was not painted.... it was custom made new. so no help with paint info buttttttt... might mean though that a pattern exist in the records of the company that made it??
Yeah, but he just needs a tan cargo cover. They are a dime a dozen on GP all the time.

The shipping though.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks