• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

AllenF

New glad hans on all 4 corners. Philips brand. Front: easy. Rear: PITA through frame fittings seized. Some schedule 40 zinc fittings present. Upgraded windshield
wiper blades to PIAA silicone. Previous wipers went bad very fast. Silicone will last around 10 years. Working on replacing washer lines in wiper blades tonight.

View attachment 784564View attachment 784565View attachment 784566View attachment 784567View attachment 784568
On those silicone blades from piaa. I bought a set for my 2005 F-350 in 2006. They still work very well and are silent. No chattering. Yep that is 16 years so far. single best thing I have EVER done to a vehicle. Talk about bang for buck!:naner::clinto:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been designing and building over the windshield shelf pockets on both sides that will have a double DIN stereo in between. Each side has two openings and one opening is big enough and deep enough for a 15-16 inch laptop. They are lighted with red LED neon rope lights.
IMG_20221004_125333.jpgIMG_20221005_162128.jpgIMG_20221005_162251.jpgIMG_20221005_202134.jpgIMG_20221005_213721.jpgIMG_20221005_213711.jpgIMG_20221005_213740.jpgIMG_20221005_214707.jpg

ramdough

I've been designing and building over the windshield shelf pockets on both sides that will have a double DIN stereo in between. Each side has two openings and one opening is big enough and deep enough for a 15-16 inch laptop. They are lighted with red LED neon rope lights.
View attachment 881116View attachment 881117View attachment 881118View attachment 881119View attachment 881120View attachment 881121View attachment 881122View attachment 881123
How is that made? What material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 881116View attachment 881117View attachment 881118View attachment 881119View attachment 881120View attachment 881121View attachment 881122View attachment 881123
IMG_20221006_225307.jpg
Install finished. I'll do the center radio area in the future when I actually have a radio to put in it!

Guruman

Not so new member
Spent some time dressing up my door panels and adding a bunch of sound deadening. Turned out pretty good for what it is.

New window cranks... and. Broke both new plastic door handle covers trying to get them on... what a dumb design. I think I might order some handles that match my window cranks. The windows cranks were a bit cheap, and the knobs squeaked and rattled, so I threw in a small ring to take up the slack, and hit it with a bit of lube.... 100 times better.

Fabric was just some outdoor chair replacement fabric I picked up a JoAnn Fabrics by the yard and I just glued it to the old door panel and flush trimmed it with a razor blade.

Then I punched the holes for the plastic push in fasteners and dropped in some 1/4-20 nutserts and used some stainless machine screws with trim washers to hold the panels on.
I put some asphalt sheet sound deadener in the drro attached to the inside of the drro skin, and I covered the entire back of the door panel with the same stick on sheets.

I also taped all of the openings in the door over with gorilla tape to keep any air intrusion to a minimum.

While I was doing all of this, my lovely wife put asphalt sound deadener into all of the ceiling recesses.

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

ramdough

Spent some time dressing up my door panels and adding a bunch of sound deadening. Turned out pretty good for what it is.

New window cranks... and. Broke both new plastic door handle covers trying to get them on... what a dumb design. I think I might order some handles that match my window cranks. The windows cranks were a bit cheap, and the knobs squeaked and rattled, so I threw in a small ring to take up the slack, and hit it with a bit of lube.... 100 times better.

Fabric was just some outdoor chair replacement fabric I picked up a JoAnn Fabrics by the yard and I just glued it to the old door panel and flush trimmed it with a razor blade.

Then I punched the holes for the plastic push in fasteners and dropped in some 1/4-20 nutserts and used some stainless machine screws with trim washers to hold the panels on.
I put some asphalt sheet sound deadener in the drro attached to the inside of the drro skin, and I covered the entire back of the door panel with the same stick on sheets.

I also taped all of the openings in the door over with gorilla tape to keep any air intrusion to a minimum.

While I was doing all of this, my lovely wife put asphalt sound deadener into all of the ceiling recesses.

View attachment 881493

View attachment 881495

View attachment 881498

View attachment 881500

View attachment 881502

View attachment 881504
Do you mind posting the link for those cranks? I need all new cranks too.

Guruman

Not so new member
Do you mind posting the link for those cranks? I need all new cranks too.

Keep in mind that they re not super high quality...

These are the ones I have now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFLFGHW/

but they are a brushed/mattte finish, and I was unable to find the door handle in that same finish, so I'll be ordering these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R3X4X4G/

And these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4SDW55/

And if they turn out to be total crap. Lokar makes some that come at a premium cost, that are likely to be better quality, although I have not verified they will fit on the shaft yet. The details on the shaft size are a little lacking for the Lokar units. I'll probably have to contact them to get the details.

https://www.amazon.com/Lokar-IDH-2009-Polished-Billet-Aluminum/dp/B004U3WXS0

https://www.amazon.com/Lokar-IDH-2015-Polished-Billet-Aluminum/dp/B004U3WZ3S/

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ Didn’t do anything that cool^^

I just made a door handle latch. Mine was coming apart, the pot metal it’s cast of is complete garbage. So I used 1/8” steel and made a new handle and legs. Totally not worth the time, unless you aren’t able to order new/different handles.

037FB0DD-C29A-4F78-88BE-4FA2024545EC.jpeg9C387BAA-FFB0-46D2-A42C-C5E4A1580726.jpeg

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ Didn’t do anything that cool^^

I just made a door handle latch. Mine was coming apart, the pot metal it’s cast of is complete garbage. So I used 1/8” steel and made a new handle and legs. Totally not worth the time, unless you aren’t able to order new/different handles.

View attachment 881660View attachment 881661
Here is what I usedScreenshot_20221009-193853.pngIMG_20220809_111959.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 881493

View attachment 881495

View attachment 881498

View attachment 881500

View attachment 881502

View attachment 881504
You can buy another pack of those window cranks and remove the knob and use them for your door release so they match

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 881493

View attachment 881495

View attachment 881498

View attachment 881500

View attachment 881502

View attachment 881504

Attachments

Guruman

Not so new member
Goofing off while waiting for parts to arrive....

Messed about with nickel plating my door pulls. The old paint was worn, and the current durability of paint and powder coatings just aggravates me. So I gave them a run through the sandblaster and then a 30 minute swirl in my homemade plating setup.

In retrospective finish turned out rougher than I would like. More prep time would have been better.

IMG_2330.jpgIMG_2331.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Goofing off while waiting for parts to arrive....

Messed about with nickel plating my door pulls. The old paint was worn, and the current durability of paint and powder coatings just aggravates me. So I gave them a run through the sandblaster and then a 30 minute swirl in my homemade plating setup.

In retrospective finish turned out rougher than I would like. More prep time would have been better.

View attachment 881776View attachment 881777
Wonder if you could polish it up a bit with something like jewelers rouge?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 881493

View attachment 881495

View attachment 881498

View attachment 881500

View attachment 881502

View attachment 881504
Love the look of your door panels

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guruman

Not so new member
Love the look of your door panels
Thanks. They turned out really well, and it was super easy. If you are so inclined, I'd encourage you to give it a go.

It was pretty affordable too. I bought 2 yards of the sun chair fabric, because I wanted something that was not fuzzy so as to not collect dust/dirt/mud. They did not have a huge selection, but they did have several choices of colors and materials that were suitable. I picked this pattern because it reminded me of the old International Scouts with the bold, plaid interior finishes.

My wife used a 50% off coupon and I got the fabric for less than $30, and I think I have enough left over to do it again in case a I manage to damage one.

I do have some concern about the edge peeling off and considered adding some edge trim to cover it, but so far it's not an issue since the panel sits in a small recess in the door framing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks