• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got new old tires and wheels. They are a very nice set other than one that the tire shop couldn’t do anything with. They said it needed another 20 ounces of weight in addition to what it had on it. I watched the wheel/ tire go from side to side on the machine. Other 3 were perfect. Guy said he thinks I have a bent wheel or out of round tire, possibly both. I contacted Feltz and I will see what they can do for me.View attachment 918903View attachment 918904View attachment 918905
Im betting those inside weights didnt make it 5 miles !! Not much clearance on the inside..

LeftCoast32

No lift, it is a stock height M1165A1B3FK5 without armor. It set really tall without the armor on it from auction. I have seen others with a 2" lift that were not as tall. It also rides really smooth like it has softride lift springs in it already. I am really impressed with the ride quality and would be apprehensive to lift it anymore then it is already.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A month ago my electric milemarker SEC12 winch I installed on the milemarker hydraulic winch plate stopped working on me, right after I spooled out the line and hooked it up to a vehicle to pull out of a river. Ended up just putting it in 4 low and reversing to drag the SUV up the riverbank.

Finally got around to testing today, and determined it's the winch motor.

Pulled it all apart, and found the brushes stuck in the rusty brush holder assemblies.

Going to try cleaning it all up tomorrow and test it, but from the amount of rust inside the motor area, I'm going to say that their claims of the winch being "waterproof" are greatly exaggerated.

edit: I've never submerged it or anything, I just live in Western Washington.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine small files and 200 grit sandpaper. Dilute Muriotic acid. New brushes.

I’m certain you’ll do a great job of it.

Please shoot some pictures.
brushes themselves are in excellent shape, and 2 of them are soldered directly to a bar, so a little difficult to replace.

a before picture. I had already freed up some of the brushes. The brush on the top is the position all of them were stuck in when disassembled.
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-9.jpg
and another angle
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-7.jpg

plastic container with muriatic acid. It only took a few minutes to get most of the rust off. I also used a small file as well, then soaked again, and finally rinsed off then used electrical contact cleaner to remove the water. After that was about 3 minutes in the air fryer set on "dehydrate" which is 120 degrees heat, and it was completely dry.
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-4.jpg

a lot cleaner, but not perfect. This was after the first 5 minute soak in the acid. I checked and muriatic acid (diluted hydrochloric acid?) will dissolve copper, so I was being careful.
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-1.jpg
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-6.jpg

reassembled the brush assembly and back in the motor case
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-8.jpg

The hardest part was getting all the brushes pushed into their holders far enough to slide it on. I ended up using 2 small screwdrivers to hold 2 of the brushes, and used my hands for the other two. I still felt like I needed more hands.
5b9be2badc8a3ce31272e0294203bd8cb08e4c78-2.jpg

That was all the pictures I took.

The rubber o-rings they use to seal up the motor assembly are a joke. Maybe a little over a millimeter diameter. The one on the drum end was just supposed to sit in a wide groove for the motor assembly against the case and didn't have an actual groove that I could see, so I used some sealant there instead. Just enough that it barely pushed any out when tightened down. The other end had a small groove, and didn't appear to have any moisture intrusion past it so I reinstalled as is.

I also took off the cover for the gearing and checked it out; no signs of water, but it was also closed with 8 small bolts and a real gasket. The aluminum of the case is corroding around the screws (stainless screws and aluminum don't like each other much) so I cleaned the powder a bit, and used some marine anti seize on the machine screws during reassembly.

Anyway, it's back assembled and worked how it was supposed to, but now have a new project to work on; the driver's side front brake caliper mounting bracket is loose and needs tightened down, like I've had to do with the other 3 (so not unexpected) as well as brake pads for both front brakes (I have all the parts, just not the ambition. Need to get it done in the next week and a half before I take it on a trip.

Here was the install thread for the winch if anyone was interested

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work and awesome photos.

I know what you mean about not enough hands. Years ago I confronted my parents as to why they never spent the extra moneys to have additional factory OEM arms with hands attached. Apparently they were pinching pennies as a young couple. I was a JC Penny blue light special. No frills or options.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hauled a bale of hay in the back of mine, it came swirling up under the rear curtain and covered the rear seats. Looked like it was going to be a big vacuum cleaner job, but instead I took the doors off and got it up to 60mph and it all blew out.

Question, is it cruel to choose your parking spot at walmart to merely to induce emotional trauma?

with rubicon.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This little project took far longer than it should have. Small spaces inside the can...

The ammo can is mounted on vibration isolation feet.

4" cooling fan exhausts out the bottom, two lighter-plugs, and one USB charger plug all a timer.

Top radio is a Radioddity QT60 that does 10 and 11 meter. Bottom radio is a Harris XG-100M for 33-48 (VHF low), 136-174 (VHF), 380-520 (UHF), 762-870 (700/800). Just the control head in the can, the radio body is under the back seat.

1165Rad1.jpg

Locking the can was another challenge, no way was I going to have a padlock hanging off it. Not thrilled about the chrome, but it'll do.

1165Rad2.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the 4 speed R1 today, there were a few pieces missing and someone unbolted but did not get the 4 speed shifter, the bolts are plainly seen installed on the auction photos, they have a security issue at the Lytle yard for sure.
There are a few more R1s at the yard.
IMG_20240617_084723758_HDR.jpgIMG_20240617_085103630.jpg
Diggy Dog says let's hit the road.
IMG_20240617_084749989_HDR.jpgIMG_20240617_085050814_HDR.jpg
I made just at opening time at my favorite restaurant in Beeville.
Diggy dog wants to know where her Chicom cookies are!!
IMG_20240617_111002215_HDR.jpgIMG_20240617_111020629_HDR.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks