• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Jeeagle

Past week been working on a John Deere Green M38a1. Started with engine sway with the first engine rebuild ever which so far runs amazing, and then had to figure out a clutch not disengaging issue followed by why aren't the brakes working? Answer: Three out of four wheel cylinders are rusted solid, and the master cylinder appears to be leaking liquefied rust.

All I can say is thank God for pre bent brake lines.:jumpin:

Jeeagle

You can't say that and NOT show a pic. It's almost inhuman.
Well here yaaaa Go! There are many layers of the paint. Oddly enough I have in total broken only three bolts. The rest have come out pretty easy.

EDIT: Also, those are indeed M151a1 Turns signals on it!

WP_000112.jpg

And a yummy wheel Cylinder
WP_000183.jpg

And with my freshly rebuilt F head ( customer was stoked to see it)

WP_000166.jpg

Last edited:

Amer-team

Nice looking job on the engine. You aren't one of those, I am going to hone the cylinder and put a kit in people are you? Had a lengthy discussion this week with a guy working on an M38 for another person and he is a honer. You can buy new cylinders, probably on here or the E*** for a reasonable price, and have ones that will work and you won't have to worry about them. The other thing you might consider is using 1" both front and back. Some people will say it is too much on the back axle, but the brakes on these aren't overly great when they are all working and a little extra, isn't going to hurt. Keep up the good work.

Jeeagle

Nice looking job on the engine. You aren't one of those, I am going to hone the cylinder and put a kit in people are you? Had a lengthy discussion this week with a guy working on an M38 for another person and he is a honer. You can buy new cylinders, probably on here or the E*** for a reasonable price, and have ones that will work and you won't have to worry about them. The other thing you might consider is using 1" both front and back. Some people will say it is too much on the back axle, but the brakes on these aren't overly great when they are all working and a little extra, isn't going to hurt. Keep up the good work.

We built an engine with what we had on hand (Good Core) and swapped them out (aka didn't rebuild what was already there). We had a machine shop re do the head (valves,guides,seats etc) and block (checked, cleaned, bored/honed) and I believe we went with 40 over mainly because we have NOS 40 over pistons to use. Always funny to pull pistons that are new out of a Can that has a date from the (I wanna say it was) the 60s. I personally ran a tap through all threads I could and then cleaned and blew out holes and oil passages before assembly. I spent several days putting it together using many sources of information online and watched crapload of you-tube videos in spare time.

When I was younger I loved doing the engines in model cars always adding thread for wires and fuel lines. So with this I was not sure on what it was going into so I made it look as right/good as possible.

Last edited:

Amer-team

Even though it may be rough, it is still nice to see one that has not been sporterized and turned red, yellow, or green. Good luck with the restoration.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The m151a1 style turn signals are stock on the late Jeeps like this one. I believe other stock upgrades would be a 60amp alternator, windshield washer setup, self adjusting brakes, 2 mirrors and some other differences. It's kind of neat that it was made around the same time the m151a2 was put into service for the US.

It came with some good fenders for the front, the rest of the tub will need a lot of attention. It's not that rusty looking but it has a ton of bondo all over the sides. The nice part is the motor looks good and seems to run good too. With the slave cable hooked up it started on it's own today and I drove it across the yard and back. That's kind of nice since the last 3 MVs I bought before it are non runners.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Benzenger

I posted on another thread, just wondering if you know how to search the serial/ hood numbers on my 1954 M38a1 navy/army jeep? I believe it was in the army and then in the navy. Please let me know

Amer-team

Dr. Porkchop, went back and looked at your pictures. You got upgraded to the alternator and that is some fancy hi-intensity headlight wiring that you have going on there. How about sharing a picture of the back end. Was it an M38A1C for the recoiless or did they just cut the rear end out for a tailgate?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Dr. Porkchop, went back and looked at your pictures. You got upgraded to the alternator and that is some fancy hi-intensity headlight wiring that you have going on there. How about sharing a picture of the back end. Was it an M38A1C for the recoiless or did they just cut the rear end out for a tailgate?
I think the alternator even charges.:grin: I'll have to take a pic of the back tomorrow, it definitely isn't a recoiless Jeep. Here's a pic of the data tag.
IMG_3060.jpg

Amer-team

So its Canadian. Maybe they put tailgates in. Is that a 12/70 date on the plate? I am rusty on this but thought they quit making them somewhere in the late 60's.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
So its Canadian. Maybe they put tailgates in. Is that a 12/70 date on the plate? I am rusty on this but thought they quit making them somewhere in the late 60's.
Yes it's Canadian. It doesn't have a tailgate, it looks like the back of a typical m38a1 to me. Yes it was delivered in 1970, that's why it has turn signals, alternator, windshield washer, and other mods (all that stuff is stock on the CDN3 Jeeps). I believe that was the very last contract, and they didn't make very many.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Mine is a 53 and it is amazing how similar they still are after all those years. Yours is still a treat to find in original condition.
Yeah that's kind of neat. I picked up a few parts for it today in the form of a couple parts jeeps.
IMG_3164.jpg
First is a very rough and highly modified m38. A few parts are still good on it, the frame looks pretty good too. It has old school Warn hubs on the front which is a plus.
IMG_3165.jpgIMG_3166.jpg
Second is a CJ. The military used Jeep CJ-3As with F Head engines back in the day for runway APUs. The funky hood is to fit the engine, which I guess was used due to the power increase. Now, with a quick look over I don't see any signs that this was a military CJ. I'm guessing it got the hood and possibly the engine were swapped into this rig at some point, but it's still pretty neat. It also came with a pretty nice 6ft plow that I'll probably never use.
IMG_3167.jpgIMG_3170.jpgIMG_3168.jpgIMG_3171.jpgIMG_3169.jpgIMG_3172.jpg
I also bought the shell to a WWII generator that powers the giant searchlights, but didn't want to deal with the hassle of making room on the trailer for it so we left it there.:???: Having a trailer with a winch is the greatest, but it really leads to a ton of absolute wrecks showing up at the yard.:neutral:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks