• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Bravo2Uniform

Two Steps Forward and One Step Backward

The decal masking pulled off some of the hood paint (apparently I didn't prep it correctly) but the star is awesome. The other is easily fixed.

I placed the star so far forward per Army regulations which stated, paraphrasing, that the star should be visible when the windshield is down.

20161201_100331.jpg

Another Ahab

I placed the star so far forward per Army regulations which stated, paraphrasing, that the star should be visible when the windshield is down.
It looks real good!

Do the regs tell you the orientation of the star (like whether the "leading point" goes one way or another), or is that all a judgement call?

Bravo2Uniform

Do the regs tell you the orientation of the star (like whether the "leading point" goes one way or another), or is that all a judgement call?
I couldn't find that in the regs, I'm sure I overlooked it, though, 'cause the Army would not miss that. I looked at pictures of vehicles in service and at some award winning M38A1s. They weren't consistently in one direction, but most of them were point forward.

Bravo2Uniform

Some Cosmetic Progress

Still waiting on the correct douglas connectors for the electrical harness, so I put the hood and windshield back on Murphy along with installing the back seat. UPS just delivered the correct oil pressure sensor and gauge, so that's probably next. Shooting for a trial start / engine turnover next week. Lots of punch list items and shake down items but we're getting close.

20161202_135632.jpg20161202_141255.jpg20161202_141306.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood star point is toward the cab. All other straight up toward the sky. These were all typically done at the unit level so there is some inconsistency since the unit commander ruled.

Bravo2Uniform

Hood star point is toward the cab. All other straight up toward the sky. These were all typically done at the unit level so there is some inconsistency since the unit commander ruled.
Well, I had a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right! That makes sense, when you think about it, all the other stars are point up on military vehicles. D'OH!

Another Ahab

Well, I had a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right! That makes sense, when you think about it, all the other stars are point up on military vehicles. D'OH!
It doesn't matter at all. It looks great, and besides now you got something to start a conversation with:

- "Do you know what I learned about the service star that I never knew before?!!"

Don't even give it a second thought. [thumbzup]

Bravo2Uniform

Ready to Test Start

Wiring is 90% complete, just need to secure some spots on the harness. Looks like I have good continuity everywhere. I still waiting on fittings for the oil pressure sender, but otherwise I am buttoned up. Next phase - punch list items and then trial start up.

I never cease to be amazed at how much reproduction stuff has to be modified in order to be used.

20161209_154143.jpg20161209_153701.jpg

Bravo2Uniform

It's looking real good!

Do you mean that stuff made-and-sold, as specifically for your model of jeep, still has to be modified?
Thanks, and yes, much of the items specifically marketed for the M38A1 have to be modified. Of course, since they produced the M38A1 for so long, I guess there are a lot of changes in them, so it's probably to be expected.

Bravo2Uniform

Off to the Mechanic to Have the Timing Set and Carburetor Tuned

All but three punch list items are completed, one of those being to touch up the paint / paint screws, nuts, bolts, etc. which will have to happen when it warms up. We are taking it to the mechanic for the timing to be set - totally out of my league there - and get the carburetor adjusted.

20161215_084226.jpg20161215_090100.jpg

Another Ahab

All but three punch list items are completed, one of those being to touch up the paint / paint screws, nuts, bolts, etc. which will have to happen when it warms up. We are taking it to the mechanic for the timing to be set - totally out of my league there - and get the carburetor adjusted.

it is looking SO good. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks