• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Bravo2Uniform

Lol i think the dog is excited. Like your rubber mat on back floor, tempting to get one just so don't abuse floor now i see it.
The rubber mat is a little bit big, so I am going to cut it down and make floor mats for the front with it. I like it because it protects the paint and the dog doesn't slip around so much. I have doggles and a helmet for her, I need to get a picture of her suited up and post here.

Well, I was gonna be driving my jeep. But when I went to start, after I had spent 2 days hooking up fuel lines, breather hoses and everything, I heard a crack.Turns out the crack was the sound of my oil pump gears breaking off, which in turn broke the cam shaft gear, so now, I have to pull the cam and replace it and get a new oil pump. UGGH!! So frustrating. So I am probably about 2 weeks out from driving it, after I get all the tools needed to do that...

Saberr

Tip: Stick with the civilian repo oil pumps, when going to a show or selling, switch to military pump. The military ones are almost impossible to find now. That way for dailyish driver you use civi, so no real issue if it fails.

Jeeagle

Tip: Stick with the civilian repo oil pumps, when going to a show or selling, switch to military pump. The military ones are almost impossible to find now. That way for dailyish driver you use civi, so no real issue if it fails.

I bet I could find you one, give me a year range and engine type. or photo. it won't be new though. Far as military I don't think there was any difference originally...

Saberr

Crown makes a repo civi pump. As for diff, there is a lot. Military only has one rotating pump wheel, and the relief valve is in the casing, not the lid. Both fit same and do same job, just different designs and different availability.

Another Ahab

Well, I was gonna be driving my jeep. But when I went to start, after I had spent 2 days hooking up fuel lines, breather hoses and everything, I heard a crack.Turns out the crack was the sound of my oil pump gears breaking off, which in turn broke the cam shaft gear, so now, I have to pull the cam and replace it and get a new oil pump. UGGH!! So frustrating. So I am probably about 2 weeks out from driving it, after I get all the tools needed to do that...
Don't feel too bad; that's the way it typically works...for everybody.

It's those pesky Gremlins (you got to blame somebody).

Gremlinsbook.jpg

Durango_USMC

Well looks like Im ressurecting this one a bit... I havent done anything except agreed to buy one from a member here. Its a 54 M38A1 and... well its rough to say the least. Basically a frame with axles, transmission, and a transfer case. It also has one fender and a grille! So started shopping for the things to make it a rolling chasis and trying to make that chasis steerable will be my first goal. Im actually excited about my gigantic rust bucket but it will be nice when its done in a couple years.Screenshot_2018-07-29-17-18-05.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well looks like Im ressurecting this one a bit... I havent done anything except agreed to buy one from a member here. Its a 54 M38A1 and... well its rough to say the least. Basically a frame with axles, transmission, and a transfer case. It also has one fender and a grille! So started shopping for the things to make it a rolling chasis and trying to make that chasis steerable will be my first goal. Im actually excited about my gigantic rust bucket but it will be nice when its done in a couple years.View attachment 736035
Good job Durango, looks like you got the Jeep just before the jungle did. Take some pictures when you get her out of the weeds.

Durango_USMC

Im happy to get the opportunity. Im also lucky that its present owner will be hleping me out and has answered dozens of questions already. I also have a local guy that does great work with restorations in the IN MVPA chapter I belong to so I will likely use him for sand blasting and painting as Im not remotely set up for it. May be a month before I pull it out of the weeds as I still need to track down at least 2 wheels, tires, tubes, (liners?), and the left and right hand lug nuts for good measure. So pretty excited to get it rolling and get it home.

DeetFreek

20180805_152801.jpg After hanging from the hoist since February, it's time to slowly start piecing it back together. And I will be the first to admit that taking it apart almost a year before reassembly isn't the brightest idea. Especially since it wasn't done in my shop, and everything got thrown into a box. I need an overhaul manual something fierce now!

Bravo2Uniform

ALthough the Restoration Work is Almost Complete, the Collecting Has Just Started!

With the restoration pretty much complete, we have started collecting US Army equipment from the era - pictured is the typical pack carried by infantry troops up until about 1956. All of this web gear is original. The M-1 Garand belt is WWII production - but it was not unusual for a lot of web gear to still be in service years later. I picked up a copy of Shelby Stanton's book on US Army uniforms for the Cold War era and was a bit surprised to see so many M-1943 jackets still being worn, for example, in 1953 - '54, instead of the newer M-1951 jackets. Our goal is to have enough period correct (-ish) equipment to give some historical context to the vehicle.

IMG_20180811_133422.jpgIMG_20180906_174217.jpg

FrankUSMC

I have found WWII web gear still issued up into the early 90s while in the Marines. Being a collector, I made sure it was swiped out for the correct gear.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks