• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats in your gas tank?

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
90% used transmission fluid, 10% gasoline to thin it out and then I put in a bottle of BG 244k for conditioner. Starts right up cold or hot and rolls on down the road.

Much, much cheaper than buying diesel.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i have run in the past few months, two cycle oil, 15 gallons of type F atf, 5 gallons turbine oil, motor oils, off road diesel, gasoline, and diesel. my fuel looks like blood. LOL i try to run oils everytime i dump gasoline in it. the other day my exhaust smelled like candle wax. i dont run any used oils in my truck at the moment because i dont have a current way of filtering used stuff down to sufficent levels. one day im gonna build a centerfuge.

Lax

Man there is a lot of information and knowledge out there!! :shock: How about this for an idea because I have never seen it? Would any of you (with lots of spare time rofl ) be interested in putting together a printable list of the kinds of fuels and mixture ratios we can run in a MF Duce? Maybe that would be to much work with so many variables. I don't know.

Some of us would value a list like that greatly! I am sure we could find some of this information in the manuals but it is always great to hear from guys that actually do it with personal reports of good or bad results.

There is always an outside chance that at some point some of our members would have to "bug out" for all kinds of reasons. An easy to read and understand page of what fuels we could use when all hell breaks loose and the local gas station or truck stop is not available to get fuel but the local McDoanld's or transmissions repair shop is available would be invaluable... Some suggestions on field expedient fuel filters/strainers for filling the tanks would be great too. We could throw a bunch of those in the tool box right away so they are available when needed most.

If a list was available I would laminate a few copies and put them in my glove compartment one one in my tool box and one more in the "bug out" kit. Just a thought. Thanks guys!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FedEx gas! And the occasional 5 to 10 gallons of pump diesel, just to freshen it up. Still go t a tad ofver 200 gallons left of the FedEx stuff. C'mon FedEX, I can always use more free fuel!!

Speedy

Lax said:
Man there is a lot of information and knowledge out there!! :shock: How about this for an idea because I have never seen it? Would any of you (with lots of spare time rofl ) be interested in putting together a printable list of the kinds of fuels and mixture ratios we can run in a MF Duce? Maybe that would be to much work with so many variables. I don't know.

Some of us would value a list like that greatly! I am sure we could find some of this information in the manuals but it is always great to hear from guys that actually do it with personal reports of good or bad results.

There is always an outside chance that at some point some of our members would have to "bug out" for all kinds of reasons. An easy to read and understand page of what fuels we could use when all heck breaks loose and the local gas station or truck stop is not available to get fuel but the local McDoanld's or transmissions repair shop is available would be invaluable... Some suggestions on field expedient fuel filters/strainers for filling the tanks would be great too. We could throw a bunch of those in the tool box right away so they are available when needed most.

If a list was available I would laminate a few copies and put them in my glove compartment one one in my tool box and one more in the "bug out" kit. Just a thought. Thanks guys!
:ditto:
would be great information to keep onhand!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, some of the mixes suggested (used) above should be qualified with the number of miles driven on that particular mix. I'm concerned about effects on the IP from used motor oil in particular and aslo the resulting exhaust.
At least one of you should take a sample of the used motor oil as poured in your tank and have it analyzed. I have posted printouts of analysis results in the past and would never recommend that it be used for fuel as is.

A sensible fuel mix would be ULSD and perhaps 5% fresh storebought canola oil. The veggie oil will enhance combustion by providing oxygen add lubricity to IP and injector parts and finally reduce emissions.
The fresh VO is neutral in pH as opposed to waste VO, which is acid.
Biodiesel is also a good fuel....and kerosene, of course.

Lax

Thanks Cranetruck. That is just one more reason to have a list of "approved" and proven fuels or fuel mixes with a little advice on each option just like you have provided above.

It does not have to be a multi-page book. Just one page. Oh, and one important item, if someone is willing to make this "list" it would be great if they use the abbreviation (ULSD, UVO,UMO, etc.) but also used the description as well. The abbreviation does not help if you don't know what it stands for. This could really be helpful! Thanks.

Rattlehead

Kinda scary. The stuff being put through a minimal tolerance, high pressure fuel system is the same stuff that is no longer good enough for engines, transmissions, and hydraulic systems. I hope you guys are filtering the @#$% out of it.

This does not even count the who-knows-what effects of injector coking, etc.

Lax

Thats what scares me too! :drool: I would rather learn from someone else's mistake or success then find out the hard way in a potentially high stress situation that I just burned something up and now I am dangerously stuck. Thanks.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
87 octane,Used motor oil,Offroad,Onroad,litle 90wt I had left over from reoiling my other truck,Wreckers Mystery stuff unsweetened(no thinner!).
Don't let FreightTrain fool ya! I've heard he runs nitroglycerin and moonshine when he can get his hands on it!

FreightTrain

Banned
IN that case.......I have had TONS of nitro running though my body and shine......Tell ya what,it sucks comming down off a nitro high....talk about a crash......

SasquatchSanta

Manstein wrote:

90% used transmission fluid, 10% gasoline...
I'd like to run ATF but am afraid to because of the red color. The law checks everybody up here, including pickups, for off road diesel. If they stick your tank and find red you're in big trouble. I'm told the fine can be as high at $10,000.00.

Scares me away.