• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Your License Plate?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam I know you said you didn't want to cover up the Blackout Marker but I can't see ever needing it but if I do I don't think at that point I'll need the license plate either so I can just take it off. Here's a shot of my setup. I went to a trailer sales outfit and just bought the bracket with lamp ($4.00) and spray painted it flat black.

In the mean time you know you can go to the DMV and get a 30 day temp tag. Just tell them you're waiting on the EUC. It cost me $25 for mine.

Attachments

Pawnshop

That will fit between the lifting shackle and pintle hitch and not get in the way of anything, I think that will be my solution. Thanks for the tip on the temp tag, I will get one Wednesday before the meeting.

Amtracker

For illumination, I'm going to use small black LED license plate bolts.

I'm not a big fan of the under-the-bumper location, but it makes good use of the hole that already drilled there.

The tailgate plate is mounted on a 150 pound magnet that comes with screw eye bolt, and it's $20 from Northern Tool. I really like that spot for it, but there seem to be differing opinions on whether that's legal or not. I asked my brother, a state trooper, and he said no, it cannot be in the window. I haven't read anything in the inspection manual that says it cannot be there. If they say it can't be in the window because it impedes visibility, I would say that portion of the window is blocked because of the spare tire anyways.

At least I have a couple of options.

Attachments

91W350

I'll try to remember to get a photo, I just used a simple aluminum angle and drilled three holes in the bottom of the bumper. I used self tapping bolts. I put an LED light in the angle above the tag. It takes about 2 minutes to unplug and remove the three bolts to play in the rocks, it is on the right side of the bumper and not as low as the spare tire.

cessnatwin

I put 2 sets of 2 digits on mine, and it looks just like an active truck, and drove it for 6 months without even titling it and no one said nothing! It just looks authentic! I did it in the city too!

New2CUCVs

I have mine stuck to the center of the M1009 tailgate with magnets. About a month ago, was pulled over by a state trooper for no tag light. It is my understanding that AL law says if it didn't come with it, its not required. I explained that the truck did not come with provisions for a license plate, much less a tag light. He even let me get out so I could show him the magnets. After looking over the truck, the trooper determined that I was ok and sent me on my way. Personally, I think he just wanted to look at my truck.

41cl8m5

This is what I did. The cops here are a pita and I was told I need to have the rear plate lighted when night driving. I also wanted to keep it as close as possiable to looking "as retired" non modified on the outside to show in parades. All I have to do Is slide a cover over it and remove the front plate. The box has the tool issue in it and was done before I got it from GL. Now the plate holder came from a Express van (newr chevy full size). I removed the handle part and rounded the corners to match the other side. The light is taped into the rear side marker on that side. The adapter plate is a scrap piece of plate I had laying around. it does vibrate a little, so next will be a support to mount on the edge of the plate to the box.

Attachments

kc5mzd

In Texas if you get MV plates for $10 per year. It exempts you from having to add lights and stuff if they aren't original.

Sgt Hulka

No optimal solutions for this one. I finally bit the bullet and drilled two holes in the left center of the tailgate and filled and wired them with 2 LED bolts. It's clean, simple and does minimal damage. BTW, those bolts are available on ebay for around 15 bucks...

I got an LED license plate frame. Its led white with the lights on and turns red when the brakes are applied pretty cool. You run it to the brake lights. I mounted it to the tail gate. There is plenty of room inside the tailgate and it's very easy, just put the tailgate down roll the glass up and remove the back tailgate cover. The only problem with the license plate frame is it only came in CHROME! I then sanded it down and applied CARC. I will post up some pictures when I get my truck back from the shop. It looks cool with my West Virginia National Gaurd plates and the WV Gaurd markings i put on the truck.
here is a link to the product 19.95 no picture though
AutoZone.com | LEDExteriorAccessories | WhiteandredstealthLEDlicenseframe

Last edited: