• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Your License Plate?

steelandcanvas

If all goes well, as of the first of the new year, Colorado will not require a State issued license plate to be displayed on a registered Military Vehicle. They will use the manufacturer issued VIN and Govt' issued S/N for identification purposes. This will not be a substitute for registration, the State still wants your money. This way, they do not have to print a plate, and will save money. Contact a State Representitive or Congressperson to get this approved in your State. There are a few other States that already have this provsion in place. BTW, I keep mine in the jockey box anyway, with the registration and proof of insurance.

41cl8m5

Jon,
Sounds Good, Rice is my Rep. and I will get with him on this issue. See you at the next MVCC meeting. Looking forward to driving to and surrounding the capital with all.

Now for my rant::evil:
I still think its just wrong to be required to emission my M1009 evey year in Colorado when its a fedrerally emission exempt vehicle (says so on the engine and in the engine compartment). The tech who ran the test told me that it could not fail do to the exemption.
So I'm required to pay for this state required test for clean air and to keep the emission people employeed, and so the state can receive another fee (the new P.C. word for TAX).

Not everyone in colorado is required to get the test, just the unlucky ones who live in a area selected by the state legilature. I'm ok with emmissions just don't agree with having to do it on an exempt vehicle. If this is not stopped the lawnmowwer will be next.....I can see it now a speical line at the testing place........

niferous

Here is mine. I used a piece of instrumentation angle iron from Lowe's. You can get it one foot sections like I did or a 2 ft section and cut it in half. I then took some 5/16" x 1' all thread rod and some flat washers and nuts. Assembly is pretty straight forward. Because I'm building a back bumper that will hold the plate I didn't want to drill any new holes so I used the ones that mount that access panel for the tailgate.

Attachments

ssgtwright-usmc

Drill two holes for the plate on eitherside of the blackout lights since you most likely dont use them anyways. 1/2 of the black out light will be covered but doesnt matter.
Get a light and mount it to the bumber on the side of the plate and tap into your driving lights. If you dont feel comfortable with that then add add a switch to turn on your lights at night.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
in the right front window of the 819, tractors are not required to have plates on the rear

ssgtwright-usmc

Being a CUCV plus being under some rules for vehicles under 1986 or 85, your State may not need you to modify. Check your State DMV and its laws on Mvs. Please people, I said 85/86 for my state laws. Federal laws just requires seatbelts for vehicles made after a certain year.
Id check your state requirments on mods for Mvs.

86k10

I got stopped 2 times in 1 week having mine in the rear window. And since i am not one that cares to be nice to cops who stop you for really no reason, i just laughed at him when he called it an improper display. And yeah we are supposed to have a light too but i have no intention of doing that until i get a fix it ticket for it. So i just took off the pintle hitch and put it there. Gotta love the police state called America, which reminds me that we are rated number 6 in the world of being a police state.

zyrtecx

Purchase a 4 X 1 Aluminium strip from tractor supply and drill a hold in one end and attach it to the last bolt on right holding the top to the body. Then mark the strip where the strip needs to be twisted and remove and twist the strip in a vice so that when the strip comes around the spare tire ans is lined up straight so you can attach the license plate , then bend the strip on around the spare tire and bend so the strip goes inside the spare tire, You will have to cut approx 3 to 4 inches off the end and then drill a hold about 1/2 inch from the end and attach the strip to the bolt holding the spare tire in place and attach the strip with a self locking net . Line up your license where you want it and drill to holds to attach.
I will a photo tomorrow...

steelandcanvas

Jon,
Sounds Good, Rice is my Rep. and I will get with him on this issue. See you at the next MVCC meeting. Looking forward to driving to and surrounding the capital with all.

Now for my rant::evil:
I still think its just wrong to be required to emission my M1009 evey year in Colorado when its a fedrerally emission exempt vehicle (says so on the engine and in the engine compartment). The tech who ran the test told me that it could not fail do to the exemption.
So I'm required to pay for this state required test for clean air and to keep the emission people employeed, and so the state can receive another fee (the new P.C. word for TAX).

Not everyone in colorado is required to get the test, just the unlucky ones who live in a area selected by the state legilature. I'm ok with emmissions just don't agree with having to do it on an exempt vehicle. If this is not stopped the lawnmowwer will be next.....I can see it now a speical line at the testing place........
Register the thing at my house, I'm out past Kiowa Creek, that's where the test/no test boundary line is.:-D

ssgtwright-usmc

Sorry about your license plate problem. What do you want to do in placement of plate and light? Add a bracket under the bumber for the plate, run a wire from your running lights and you should be fine.
Being a MIL vehicle and the age of it, most states dont require (plate lights) so I would ask your county state office about that!!!!

laserlee123

In Minnesota collector military plates need not be displayed, but carried inside vehicle.

(c) Notwithstanding section 168.09, 168.12, or other law to the contrary, the owner of a registered collector military vehicle is not required to display registration plates on the exterior of the vehicle if the vehicle has an exterior number identification that conforms to the identifying system for military vehicles in effect when the vehicle was last owned by the branch of the armed forces of the United States or in effect in the year to which the collector military vehicle has been restored. However, the state registration plates must be carried in or on the collector military vehicle at all times.

Cool!
Also cool,

(d) The owner of a registered collector military vehicle that is not required to display registration plates under paragraph (c) may tow a registered trailer behind it. The trailer is not required to display registration plates if the trailer:
(1) does not exceed a gross weight of 15,000 pounds;
(2) otherwise conforms to registration, licensing, and safety laws and specifications;
(3) conforms to military specifications for appearance and identification;
(4) is intended to represent and does represent a military trailer; and
(5) carries registration plates on or in the trailer or the collector military vehicle towing the trailer.

Sweet deal!

Last edited:

Csm Davis

looked at the cucv on base last week they were on the left side of the bumper over the blackout light no plate light. Asked around and heard lots of placement spots I will not be putting one on mine unless forced.