• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

jpinst

I received an email from GL today, it seems all of their vins for the last several Mk48 auctions were wrong….you will need to go fix them at some point. They used the same vin for all the sales.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bought trucks in GA and SC and got a FL title. And they had the correct VIN number on the SF97s.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When did they change from
when you had to pick the vehicle up 1st, then verify the vin yourself before you could apply for the SF-97?
Fl. has a law that you can not sell a vehicle without a title, GL is considered a USED vehicle dealer in FL., GL lost a court case brought by FL. a few years ago, it is amazing that MORE states with the " no sale without title laws" have not jumped on GL. because they are loosing money by GL not getting titles

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fl. has a law that you can not sell a vehicle without a title, GL is considered a USED vehicle dealer in FL., GL lost a court case brought by FL. a few years ago, it is amazing that MORE states with the " no sale without title laws" have not jumped on GL. because they are loosing money by GL not getting titles
I have seen several auctions at FL sites within the last year (mostly GSA) that say no SF97 will be issued because the vehicle is considered junk.

With that being said, you can buy and sell a vehicle in FL without a title. It is considered junk. I have bought and sold several. I am not a dealer, so maybe there are different rules for them to scrap a vehicle. Unless the law has changed recently, if the vehicle does not have an engine, you don't need a title to scrap it out.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen several auctions at FL sites within the last year (mostly GSA) that say no SF97 will be issued because the vehicle is considered junk.

With that being said, you can buy and sell a vehicle in FL without a title. It is considered junk. I have bought and sold several. I am not a dealer, so maybe there are different rules for them to scrap a vehicle. Unless the law has changed recently, if the vehicle does not have an engine, you don't need a title to scrap it out.
True for junk, not true for NON junk, now this brings up a NEW problem, what WE sometimes consider a VALUEABL ASSET, our wives looks at it at best as JUNK, at worst a blight on humanity, so I guess the FL. title law DEPENDS on WHO is selling it.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
....now GL will only give me the 29th to pick up.
Jeff, the base is Marine owned, with Honeywell running the vehicle side and more, it seems that GL is at the BOTTOM of the list, not even a GL. office, if Honeywell is using the HONEYWELL yard ramps that we use to load out, then no load out, I guess it is easier to say NO LOADOUT then it is to say "NO RAMP LOADOUT" , For all we know, the MARINES may have something going on and again NO LOADOUT. Even base access for GL or any GL. recoveries is controlled by Honeywell and the Marines.

When we went down the first time, there was a good chance the second trip was not going to happen, it took contacts WAY above my pay grade to make things happen, just to get bolts took a act of GOD.

So everybody needs to remember, these auctions and the following recoveries ARE NOT your NOMURAL GL. event, and your GL. reps are as frustrated as everybody else. To get anything done it takes GL. contact to GL. headquarters, then GL. headquarters to HONEYWELL headquarters, then back to the island Honeywell which then says "sure".

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a side-note, all my SF-97's used to list FL as point of sale. Now they are coming out listing MI as point of sale, but I still get a FL title in the mail. Go figure......

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, 29th is the only date set for pickup, If missed, told you will have to wait another 2 weeks. See you guys on the 29th...Small window for pickup sucks, but better than Eastover Base, they only give a 3 hour window on tuesday for pickup's once a week!
Kevin..
PIC:
Loaded mk-48 with self-loading trailer put us at 79,500 lbs with a full 300 gals of fuel..!
Heavest load to date. Delivered 1000 miles, no overweight permits needed.!
If you dont have a alumium spread axel trailer, you cant haul them without permits in each state.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
....now GL will only give me the 29th to pick up.
I have managed to build a decent working relationship with the GL folks down there but as Ron stated it's not GL's real estate. I wanted to go the first week in September but Honeywell shot that down and we fell back a week.

When I followed the first sale I knew that if there was no one on the ground to run interference that it would turn into a Mongolian Goatfark. If there had not been Steelsoldier buyers in the mix I would not have gone down there at all.

GL is now giving my contact info to anyone who needs to get vehicles assembled and shipped.

It is to their advantage to do so since it saves them the hassle when someone who bought these trucks discovers that "GL will not help load or drive this item" means what it says.

We are making some coin doing this and considering what it costs to get a wrecker in there to load a truck out I consider our rates fair. It also takes three to four days out of my already busy work load to do these missions.

In addition to assembling and loading I also have to herd cats when it comes to getting wayward truck drivers to the correct location in the narrow loading window that we have each day.

Blount Island is not an easy place to get into or find your way around if you don't know where you are going.

We are here to help but we are at the mercy of two gooberment contractors that are as cooperative as two tom cats in a croaker sack.

If anyone needs help I'm a PM or phone call away.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One more thing, Honeywell has the finial say in loading, if they have a problem with the transport to be loaded (to high, ect.) loading WILL not happen, and there is nothing GL. can do about it.

TacticalTruck

Yea but all I got is a flat bed MK14 and a wrecker company that has been in there and loaded before. Frustrating because they take our money and you know if the problem was on our side they'd throw us into default in a heart beat.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yea but all I got is a flat bed MK14 and a wrecker company that has been in there and loaded before. Frustrating because they take our money and you know if the problem was on our side they'd throw us into default in a heart beat.
Since this is such a special situation due to ALL the problems, GL. has been working with us on the 10 day gone or default rule. This is one of the FEW times that GL. has done this for a auction.

Juff, Frustrating is not the word, it is more like !#$)(&^%$#%^, the GL reps are working out of there vehicle, I really have to hand it both TIM and LOUIS, WITHOUT these guys FIGHTING for the costumer, all most NOTHING would have gone out the gate. We have Honeywell looking over our shoulder 100% of the time, at one time, we thought we may be arrested for scrounging bolts from GL. OWNED trucks even though we had GLs. OK.

Augdog1964

Ridiculous!

Thats ridiculous... to threaten to arrest you guys for doing what NEEDS to be done... what a nightmare. I've also only had good experiences with GL lot employees, they have ALWAYS tried to help... glad that they are doing so on these vehicles too...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ron and I have re-occupied FOB Holiday Inn Express and are going to assemble trucks tomorrow.

On the way down here Jackie from GL called me and asked if we had bolts to assemble the MK48's.

The short answer was no and we had addressed this issue with Honeywell the last time we were down here. They are not going to supply the bolts needed to assemble the trucks.

We had already sourced bolts from Fastenall and had an order on hot standby in their computer.

The bolts are supposed to be at the gate tomorrow morning when we get our pass.

Sometimes prior planning pays off but we are looking at about a grand to buy the bolts.

We'll have to add the price to the fee we are charging but that's the cost of doing business.

My guess it that Honeywell has the bolts but just won't provide them for free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks