• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

goldneagle

I know the electric winch is easier to operate than the Garwood, but it just doesn't have as much cable. And what are you doing about the high amp draw Rusty? To really take advantage of that winch you could probably use a couple more batteries and a bigger ( like 200) amp alternator.
I put 4 group 31 batteries on the weight trays next to the winch to provide dedicated battery power to the winch. I have the front batteries isolated from the ones in the cab. I already used the front batteries to jump start the truck when my main batteries were weak. (glad I installed a NATO plug on the front battery pack)

rustystud

Here are some pictures of how i did mine. I got the bolts on the bottom as well as supports in front against the bumper.
That's a nice installation. Your bolts are still in a shear position though. With mine the whole force is against a solid plate backed against 2 bumpers which are mounted to the frame with 5/8" bolts. Either way they both work !

rustystud

I know the electric winch is easier to operate than the Garwood, but it just doesn't have as much cable. And what are you doing about the high amp draw Rusty? To really take advantage of that winch you could probably use a couple more batteries and a bigger ( like 200) amp alternator.
Granted I only have 75ft of 1/2" cable, but with chains I should be OK. The amp load at max pull is 278 amp's. That's less then the engine starter uses. Since this is basically an "emergency only" item, I won't worry to much about having enough battery (though I am looking to buy a 100amp alternator). As long as the engines running I will be fine. Now If I planned on using this thing daily I would go with a hydraulic winch.

chestypuller1371

That is depressing ! When I was in we had to walk a 100miles up hill each way ! OK not that bad, but I remember I broke my foot ( the large long bone on top of your foot) on the confidence course. Every day I would just ram my foot into my boot and lace up those strings as tight a I could stand it. If I had mentioned any injury they would "recycle" me and I didn't want another 3 months of Boot Camp !!! The drill instructors where aware of it, but as long as I kept up they didn't care.
Of course 20 years later I needed surgery to correct that stupid bone which had set wrong ! The thing is I wasn't the only one who had injuries either. Different times I guess.

i remeber all my skin comming off the bottom of my feat after we got done with mount mother fu$%er! they applied moleskin to the bottoms and off to indian wind sprints i went.. was paintful but got tru it just fine.

rustystud

i remeber all my skin comming off the bottom of my feat after we got done with mount mother fu$%er! they applied moleskin to the bottoms and off to indian wind sprints i went.. was paintful but got tru it just fine.
OH man did you just bring back some fun memories ! I got an infected toe-nail and had to pull it off using my nail clippers ! The drill instructors just sat and watched me do it. I think they where betting on whether I could do it without screaming !
I didn't give them the satisfaction of screaming though. Just a lot of grunting. Fun times.

chestypuller1371

i got 2 ingrown toenails fixed too in boot camp, they just ripped them off with pliers. was a real blast. the big toes too..

where are you guys buying these 18000 lbs winches and how much am i looking to spend, mines only a 10000

rustystud

i got 2 ingrown toenails fixed too in boot camp, they just ripped them off with pliers. was a real blast. the big toes too..

where are you guys buying these 18000 lbs winches and how much am i looking to spend, mines only a 10000
The Warn 18000 winches came up on auction last year. They where "new take-offs" . A few guys bought some lots then and sold what they didn't need. I was lucky to only pay $600.00 for mine. Shipping cost about $100.00 . Considering this winch sells for almost $3000.00 that's not bad ! I haven't seen any for sell lately though. Maybe there will be another lot come up for auction again.

chestypuller1371

The Warn 18000 winches came up on auction last year. They where "new take-offs" . A few guys bought some lots then and sold what they didn't need. I was lucky to only pay $600.00 for mine. Shipping cost about $100.00 . Considering this winch sells for almost $3000.00 that's not bad ! I haven't seen any for sell lately though. Maybe there will be another lot come up for auction again.

ohhh i hope so! how do i find out?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at a swivel pulley used on flat bed wreckers for side pulls as a secondary pull position. It would take more load than a 90 on the fairlead.

rustystud

Just get a snatch block. "Warn" sells a nice one 36,000Ibs for $275.00 and "Smitty Built" sells one 36,000Ibs for $90.00 . I don't know why such a price difference though. The Warn has a 8" pulley and the Smitty Built has a 6" pulley. Other then that I don't see much difference.
I actually own a WARN #83086 36,000 Ibs snatch block. I think next I will buy the Smitty Built and compare them.

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sell the Warn snatch blocks for $200. I am a Warn dealer. I ordered some Smitty Built so called 36k snatch blocks and sent them back. They were cheap compared to the Warn and I don't trust them for that load range. I was making a turntable mount for a winch to mount on the rear of a 939 to swivel 360 for a logging company in Washington State. The only issue is it was made from 1.25" plates with a diameter of 26 inches. A 2" industrial bolt was used as the king pin. Four other pins are automatically moved in and out to pin the turntable at each 90 degree positon. I was working on the pin mechanism when I got the bright idea to try a tow bar type mount that attaches to the bumperets and tailgate which holds a snatch block about 5' out from the rear of the truck. Works pretty good for side pulls since it has a range around 120 degrees to either side. I am going to set my truck and see just how well it works. I will see if I can jerk a large box truck around with it without shearing pins.

goldneagle

I sell the Warn snatch blocks for $200. I am a Warn dealer. I ordered some Smitty Built so called 36k snatch blocks and sent them back. They were cheap compared to the Warn and I don't trust them for that load range. I was making a turntable mount for a winch to mount on the rear of a 939 to swivel 360 for a logging company in Washington State. The only issue is it was made from 1.25" plates with a diameter of 26 inches. A 2" industrial bolt was used as the king pin. Four other pins are automatically moved in and out to pin the turntable at each 90 degree positon. I was working on the pin mechanism when I got the bright idea to try a tow bar type mount that attaches to the bumperets and tailgate which holds a snatch block about 5' out from the rear of the truck. Works pretty good for side pulls since it has a range around 120 degrees to either side. I am going to set my truck and see just how well it works. I will see if I can jerk a large box truck around with it without shearing pins.
nopics

rustystud

Yeah, we need pictures !
About the differences between the WARN and Smitty Built. The WARN snatch block uses roller bearings and the Smitty Built uses a bronze bushing. For the limited amount of use it would get I'm sure the Smity built would work in a pinch. I know the WARN is rated for "8 tons WLL" (working load limit) . That's over-head continuous work. So they are well built. I know as I own two of them.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got rid of them since they were lighter and I believe 6 tons. The conversion is 2.5 x rating for a snatch block so the Smitty was really 33k lbs. as I remember. They were more suited for a 15k winch like the warn M15000 which has a smaller cable that can take a tighter bend radius. SuperWinch makes the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Superwinch Swing Away Pulley Block — 36,000lb. Capacity, Model# 7755. I bought one of them and decided I needed additional hardware to keep the unit from twisting. Maybe I am a little paranoid about things breaking under a shifting load! So I keep 2 Warn snatch blocks on board, some nice 3/4 chokers, Some additional cable and 45k straps. I plan on getting out one way or another. [/FONT]

rustystud

I got rid of them since they were lighter and I believe 6 tons. The conversion is 2.5 x rating for a snatch block so the Smitty was really 33k lbs. as I remember. They were more suited for a 15k winch like the warn M15000 which has a smaller cable that can take a tighter bend radius. SuperWinch makes the Superwinch Swing Away Pulley Block — 36,000lb. Capacity, Model# 7755. I bought one of them and decided I needed additional hardware to keep the unit from twisting. Maybe I am a little paranoid about things breaking under a shifting load! So I keep 2 Warn snatch blocks on board, some nice 3/4 chokers, Some additional cable and 45k straps. I plan on getting out one way or another.
Actually the conversion rating is up to the manufacture. The "WARN 8ton WLL" (Over-head load continuous duty) is rated 5X for a pulling load so the actual rating is 40,000Ibs. They advertise it as a 36,000Ibs . Other manufactures like "McKissick" rate their snatch blocks as "4X" .
So you really need to know what the manufacturer says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks