• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was surprised to get the online alternator belts I ordered in the mail today. That was pretty quick and if I knew they were going to be here that fast I wouldn't have bought the ones at Advanced. These, like the Advanced belts, are coded 17580. Again, less than $10 (plus $3 per for shipping) or $13 total vs $21 + tax each for ones at Advanced. While you have the satisfaction of getting something in hand immediately, which is important if you're in a bind, you can almost have both of them with a couple of days wait for the cost of a single one at the parts store.

IMG_4146.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take them on the trip then return on Monday. Then order more from O/L ?
Everything will likely go in the tool box. After the catastrophic failure of belts and engine replacement in the Gama Goat I'm not going to be caught with my pants down again (get it "belt" "pants down" that's a joke son).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also got the water pump belt today. So I am fully belted for tomorrow. Hopefully won't need to swap any out on the way home.

IMG_4149.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also got the water pump belt today. So I am fully belted for tomorrow. Hopefully won't need to swap any out on the way home.
Murphy's MV recovery rule #22187- Having spares of all belts on hand virtually guarantees that the originals will not fail on your trip! ;)

Cheers

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What???? no live streaming of the journey home? What is this world coming to?

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are off!! I convoyed along for the first 30 miles. Truck runnin' great!
Thanks for the early update NDT. Thanks for all you've done for a fellow member! I can't wait to see more photos and read the maiden voyage debrief from Mark.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driver change in Shiner, TX. Brewery closed for the day so no free samples. Cruising at 55MPH with no problems. The pedal is extremely stiff so after several hours my leg was starting to give out. At 55 and 82 degrees out the fan kicks in about every 2 minutes.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 13 hours on the road finally safe and sound at home (well actually headed out to supper). Only glitch is the tail lights aren't working. Brake and turns are fine but no tail lights.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slightly recovered from the recovery. We're up to 24 pages of this thread and it just made it into the driveway 12 hours ago. Here are some more pics.

1) Proud new owner getting to sit in his truck for the very 1st time
2) Getting ready to swap out the 1 bad tire. It went pretty quick with 3 of us. I'm sure it'd be a lot slower on the side of the road with no help.
3) Looking at the engine. Everything is extremely clean. The oil in both the motor and tranny look like they were just changed. No dates on the filters but the canisters looked brand new.
4) NDT giving us a quick lesson on where everything is. He also spent about 20 minutes with us driving around to get the feel of the truck.
5) TexAndy driving while I enjoyed the AC in the F250

Okay the pics scrambled after I posted this so you'll have to choose which number goes with which pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few things I learned after actually getting the truck:

1) even 3 car lengths back of the M1078 with the windows up and the AC blasting you can STILL hear the fan kick on
2) the troop seats are plastic - no wonder they broke
3) even in a hard rain you can drive with the windows down and not get wet.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks