• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would there be any interest in an all Stainless steel brake line kit for a deuce?

welldigger

Since this topic has been brought up a bunch here recently I am tempted to talk to a company a few hours from me about getting hoses made for the deuce. I currently have a brand new front axle to frame hose and a pair of steering knuckle hoses I can bring in as examples. Anyone have a rear bogie hose they don't mind parting with?
On a related note I have been trying to get a few companies to get me a quote on manufacturing some copper crush washers for the wheel cylinders. Haven't had much luck there.

peashooter

I dont think the OP was about all braided lines, but rather all stainless. As the other posts mention, the original steel lines will eventually rust out either from the outside in or the inside out. The remaining lines are rubber flex and will rot out quicker yet. My own opinion is that Stainless braided would just be easier and should last longer. The trucks have several flex lines anyway, and if someone was to make a "kit" then they would need to ship it so flex lines would make that easier. I'm also sure that flex lines are easier to install so its more than just a cool factor. I realize that the flex costs more but there are trade offs and benefits. Eitherway the thread is about trying to find an all stainless kit (hard lines and flex).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Everybody pay attention:

I have a set of brake lines off my '67 I am doing a ground up resto on. I have found a local place that says they can replicate my factory system, but I don't know about cost yet. If people are serious, I can have 5-10 sets made. I'll have to inquire about whether they can do stainless or plain steel (i.e. stock replacement).

So are ya'll really serious? I can't see the hard lines alone being less than $300-400... and that's in plain steel. I believe the system has 9 hard lines..... 2 per axles (left/right), front, rear and the master output to the airpack. Obviously this is for pre-1987 single circuit systems.

I dont think the OP was about all braided lines, but rather all stainless. As the other posts mention, the original steel lines will eventually rust out either from the outside in or the inside out.
Yupp. I have a customers truck here at the house with a hole in the main front-to-rear line that's above the spare tire. He went to pick it up from GL, bled the brakes, everything was hunky dory until he did a panic stop test and the pedal went to the floor.

So if the brake line did that, you can bet the rest of the system is in the same shape. I'd recommend replacing steel brake lines on anything as old as most of our trucks (30+).

Last edited:

215Dave

I'm still interested. I threw that ballpark number out there just as a starting point. If enough people are in and a real estimate is thrown out there, that's when I can really say Yay or Nay... And you also touch on the topic of single circuit, where as I'm switching to dual/ split....which can be address when things get more serious. I'll keep a close eye on this.

dave

welldigger

Buddy of mine did all ss braided flex line on each axle. Still has hard lines along the frame. They were NOT cheap. Several hundred total to just do 2 axles. That is why I'm more interested in just replacing the existing flex lines.

peashooter

Still no full set of brake lines and hoses available from the sounds of it...... BUT I have started working with a company to make the BRAIDED STAINLESS STEEL brake hoses for the deuce. (these are the 5 flexible hoses, 2 front wheels, 2 rear axles, 1 frame to front axle). I've listed them in the classifieds or check HERE.
They are DOT approved. As part of meeting the DOT requirements, they have a plastic jacketing outside of the braid to protect it. I've gotten both clear and dark smoke jacketing we will see what folks prefer. Pics are below, & bobber set has 4 hoses (only 1 rear axle hose).

Now someone has to come out with a pre-bent hard line set and we can finally put this thread to bed!

Attachments

rustystud

I totally agree with you Peashooter, that's why I ordered the hoses from you ! So far I've spent over $400.00 in tooling to make up my own hard stainless steel lines and I haven't even bought the bulk lines yet , $3.00 per foot. Then there is all the time spent actually flaring and bending the stuff. So yes I would buy a complete set already made up ! Almost all my vehicles have stainless lines in them and silicone fluid. I was in an accident several years ago in an old chevy truck with a single brake system. I was going down a hill around 30 mph keeping steady brake pressure on when the peddle went to the floor ! By applying the emergency brake and rubbing the rail I was able to come to a stop without killing myself or anyone else ! After checking the brakes I found a small 1/16" hole in the line, it had rotted out from the inside. The lines looked great but after replacing them all I could see rust all through the lines. So I ask all you guys with your 30 yr old trucks do you trust your lives, the lives of your loved ones and friends with your trucks brakes ?

Last edited:

peashooter

There is some hard line that is made out of a copper & Nickel alloy. It won't rust or corrode and bends easily (even by hand without tools) and doesnt kink. This is the stuff I'll be using, however not all companies make the larger 5/16" stuff, some just do 3/16 & 1/4". I believe the deuces are 5/16" line along the frame and 1/4" elsewhere.
Some of the different brand names are: EZ BEND, NiCopp, Cunifer..... but its a copper/nickel alloy eitherway. I googled "COPPER NICKEL BRAKE LINE" and see that you can get it at most places....Napa, summit racing, jegs, ebay, amazon, Advanced auto parts, O'Reilly.
Cunifer is the original brand I believe.

Last edited:

Marcel

There is some hard line that is made out of a copper & Nickel alloy. It won't rust or corrode and bends easily (even by hand without tools) and doesnt kink. This is the stuff I'll be using, however not all companies make the larger 5/16" stuff, some just do 3/16 & 1/4". I believe the deuces are 5/16" line along the frame and 1/4" elsewhere.
Some of the different brand names are: EZ BEND, NiCopp, Cunifer..... but its a copper/nickel alloy eitherway. I googled "COPPER NICKEL BRAKE LINE" and see that you can get it at most places....Napa, summit racing, jegs, ebay, amazon, Advanced auto parts, O'Reilly.

Some part numbers for the NiCopp brand are:
1/4"- CNC-425
5/16"-CNC-525

Here is a great site that explains and sells copper/nickle alloy lines. Stainless steel lines are hard to work with and often leak because they are quite rigid but copper/nickle alloy lines are malleable yet corrosion resistant. If the line is coupled with stainless steel fittings than you have the best of both worlds.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

rustystud

Thanks Peashooter and Marcell, I went to the fedhillusa.com site and they have great ! prices on there lines. All I need now is to find some stainless fittings to go with it.
Now I just need to find something to use my hydraulic line former on to justifiy to my wife the cost of the crazy thing ! ;)

peashooter

I could put together a FULL KIT for the deuce (assuming anyone is interested) until someone comes up with a prebent exact factory replacment for those who want restoration original stuff.

To go along with the Stainless Steel braided hose kit, I can put together a HARD LINE kit consiting of the really nice COPPER/NICKEL easy bend line (rust & Corrosion PROOF). It wouldn't come pre-bent but you can litterally hand bend it as you install it.
-I can easily supply a MATERIAL ONLY KIT with the appropriate length of Hard line and the proper fittings. (You would need to cut lines to length, slide fittings on, and flare) ~free loaner flare tool at O'Reilley Autoparts and many other parts stores~
-Or if there is interest, a PRE MADE KIT (already cut, fittings installed and flared with a high quality tool for perfect flares).

PM me if you interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I got my hoses today and they are GREAT !!! Excellent quality ! Like I said previous I work on heavy equipment for a living so I know quality when I see it and these hoses are it !
Thanks Peashooter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks