• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Identification Help needed

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you buy that wrecker yet? It has some hard to find goodies on it; bumper vise, mud spades, pulleys.
Soft top cab should be easy to source and repair. Save that thing.
JC

Last edited:

CONFEDR8

No. I only see it one day a week and this will be a deal a while in the making. I know it has tons of goodies. I might not know much about these trucks but considering everything is original and everything that could have been stolen is still there, that is a major plus for the wrecker.

CONFEDR8

Oh ya, I forgot I was able to get a picture of the hydraulic hoses to the crane pistons. There is 1 that is black and it doesn't have any cracks in it but the other three are white and all cracked (I am pretty sure that the white cracked hoses are A-OK to run :mrgreen:).GOPR0145.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Gimpyrobb, I have no idea about the subject and this may sound stupid but how do you know that the piston needs repair? Recovry4x4, I know that, I wouldn't throw waste oil in the engine until I knew the engine both inside and out and know what it takes to run the waste oil. I was just kidding about throwing it in there.
The first 2 pics show that the Cyl isn't attached to the crane boom. That means something is needing attention.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Those hoses look pretty buggered to me.

The last thing you want is to fill that big hydraulic tank full and blow a rotten hose and watch all that fluid pour out on the ground.

I estimated to replace all the hoses on the M816 would have cost me around 1200 bucks.

That vehicle has money pit written all over it but that never stopped me before.:cookoo:

CONFEDR8

Man, I didn't even realize that the cylinder weren't connected. Is that just a matter of shifting it around and sliding it on a pin or is that something major? I am going to bring a much better camera next time so I can get detailed pictures.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrecker truck, new, cost far on the wrong side of 100k (and that was "then"). As many owners of used, expensive vehicles know, you can pick one up for reasonable money, but the maintenance and part replacement costs stay uncomfortably close in relation to the original purchase price....
All this to say, it is easy and not unusual when restoring an MV to invest more or several times more than the purchase price of the vehicle.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrecker truck, new, cost far on the wrong side of 100k (and that was "then"). As many owners of used, expensive vehicles know, you can pick one up for reasonable money, but the maintenance and part replacement costs stay uncomfortably close in relation to the original purchase price....
All this to say, it is easy and not unusual when restoring an MV to invest more or several times more than the purchase price of the vehicle.
Can I get an Amen. Be prepared to invest alot of $$$ and time. However, when it is finished (correctly) it will be worth it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Man, I didn't even realize that the cylinder weren't connected. Is that just a matter of shifting it around and sliding it on a pin or is that something major? I am going to bring a much better camera next time so I can get detailed pictures.
If its off, its something major. NO-ONE takes them off "just for fun". You better re-think not starting it up and trying things out.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, only pressurizing the cylinder will show for sure. If you install a ball valve at the cylinder, power the cylinder out under load and then shut the valve - if the piston lowers, it leaks internally. Or you have a visible leak at the top where the packing is. If the ball valve is open and the cylinder loses pressure, then the check valve is bad.
Good news is that the check valve is available (even on a well known auction site) and good hydraulic shops can make packings for virtually all the wild and wonderful hydraulic rams out there.
I am sure that wrecker owners on the 5-ton forum can help you bunches on all these issues. Maybe the thread should be moved over?

CONFEDR8

Here guys, thanks for the help but like stated previously, let me get it first so I can legally disassemble it. Starting it up is something that I probably should do but before that, I need to get new batteries, remove the tree, give her diesel, and check the engine oil and either leave it or replace it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure that you take video clips of the "before" (tree; showing the smashed cabin), the debris and rust - and when she starts on the first attempt! Awesome on YouTube!

CONFEDR8

Ya, and take pictures of the progress. I probably could take a video and post it here next time I look at it. Everyone throw a place of the wrecker they want to see. The stuff I will show are the crane, cab, chassis, engine, etc... All the basic normal stuff along with the hydraulic piston.

CONFEDR8

Hey guys, I was curious if I were to get the wrecker, could I figure out its history, what number it was given, and wether it was USMC or US Army? Has anyone done this before?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Hey guys, I was curious if I were to get the wrecker, could I figure out its history, what number it was given, and wether it was USMC or US Army? Has anyone done this before?
Our resident expert is Carnac. You can send him the frame number and he can give you the history of the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks