• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 Recovery trip

wilfreeman

Woo Hoo! Did that skip on your first video iron itself out - it sounds like it runs and shifts good. It also steers and brakes - always a plus!

AMGeneral

Woo Hoo! Did that skip on your first video iron itself out - it sounds like it runs and shifts good. It also steers and brakes - always a plus!

Yeah,it still has a lean stutter at about 1000 rpms,I need to take the dist out and clean it up as well as lube the flyweights and springs in the mechanical advance.

If I keep it I may go ahead and install the electronic ignition kit that M series rebuild sells,that may smooth out the 302 a bit more.

I still need to adjust the valves and set the base timing with a light(I set it by ear last time).

Plus I still need to fix the air comp governer(it only builds to about 70 psi) and adjust and bleed brakes,plus hook the front axle brakes back up(they were blocked off when I got the truck).

I have been following the driving style suggested by Tom at Afla Heaven in this thread,http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/17023-hydramatic-heaven.html,and it makes a difference in the preformance of the truck.

That 302 really puts you in mind of a 270 in a CCKW when it's winding up,especially the exhaust note.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

My Jeep had a miss when I timed it with the timing light, so I backed off a hair and it cleared up - that might do it for you too. A good valve adjustment can't do anything but help.

The brake problem doesn't sound too bad, but the front brakes were blocked off for a reason.

I read that article on Alfa Heaven when I was thinking about buying one - there is some good info there!

The sound of the gas straight sixes and the low gears is what I like about the old big trucks - I just wish they got better gas mileage - I bet the big 302 sounds great in person!

Keep on grinding away at her, and you'll soon have something else to be proud of!

Gunfreak25

Wow! I have never heard the GMC drive train whine from start to full speed before. These old ladies are noisy! :lol: Watched the video in full screen with headphones and it was totally like sitting in the drivers seat. It gave Gunfreak butterflies. :cookoo:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMC Ride along

I smiled for the entire 3:45 riding in your truck. It sounds tight, sharp shifts even into 4th, real quick up to 40 mph. Still smilin' thinking about it.

It took me two years to get up to 50mph. They are a lot of work but it's one of the best rides around, thanks for sharing.

Your truck is quiet compared to mine!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0HRUflhfM[/media]

AMGeneral

Well folks,since I am waiting on parts or electrical part rebuilds on the other 2 trucks/trailers,I decided to work on the GMC a bit more this weekend,so I installed the winch kit!!!!

Now I have a running,driving titled 1952 GMC XM211 with winch!!!
Somebody better buy this thing quickly,cause I am starting to wanna keep it!!

pictures!!!!

Attachments

AMGeneral

Dunno,a fellow came and looked at it,I have not heard back from him yet.

If I go to the trouble of fixing the front brakes,repacking all the wheel bearings and replacing all the worn tires,the price is gonna skyrocket!!

Heck,If I go to that much trouble,i'll keep it and paint it 24087,then i'll have a gasser deuce and 5 ton.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Yeah, the only problem is - is that they aren't going for a whole lot of $$$, so it will have to be a labor of love! Right now, it is at a great price for a restoration - especially for a running/driving/stopping winch model + parts! I know somebody wants one.

Gunfreak25

Fallen, this is your 3rd post asking where to find an instrument panel, I get the feeling you are new to forums in general and do not yet see any replies we have made to your posts. As I said in your original thread, Tom at Alfa Heaven has everything that you need. He goes by the name MajorTom here on the forum and is the man who wrote the very in depth write up on Hydramatic transmissions, sadly he does not log on here anymore.

AMGeneral

Well folks,I spent a little more "quality time" with the GMC today,after replacing the manifold gaskets(second time) and both carb base gaskets,plus a complete timing adjustment,valve adjustment,linkage adjustment,and carb adjustment,I thought I would take a short video this morning after all was finished.

I was pleasently suprised that the engine had a steady 18 1/2 inches of vacuum at idle warm

Getting it ready for the trip up to Chief 919s place this Saturday,everything seems to be going well so far.

VIDEO!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoerAFGXqg

wilfreeman

I still wish I could have bought it, but I'm glad she's got a new owner to carry on the job you started! Thanks for all the progress updates along the way. Is that Tim that bought it? Maybe he will keep us updated on his progress too - I am so envious!

AMGeneral

Well we delivered the truck today,left here about 0845 this morning,and after 2 short stops,we arrived at the specified location in Hendersonville NC at about 11:10 AM,had 1 minor glitch at the top of Black Mountain,the fuel filter in the carb base caught some trash and cut down the fuel flow.

After a quick cleaning,the 302 roared back to life and continued the journey.BTW,it made the trip up Black mountain between 19 and 30 MPH,grossing about 17,500 lbs,between 2nd and 3rd gear. It averaged 5.71 mpg for the trip,and maintained between 45 and 50 mph on the flat with ease.

I took 2 short videos,Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgp_YBtxfd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkC8geN9e0

Chief_919

Did some research- this truck was in service with the Iowa NG until 1977, so it must have been one of the last 211's in service.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have never sold that truck...

but I would have never had the time to take care of it the way it needed.

Glad Brandon didn't cut her up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks