• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 a semi failed recovery

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you used the emergency shutoff, it could be leaking air there.

Pull it apart and clean it.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking into new spin on filters and a man said on the top bolt and oring he uses some grease as that is one place the air gets in fast

jasonjc

The in tank pick up tube rust thought and sucks air also. I know this happen to me the truck would not restart after sitting with out priming.

mattgunguy

Started to take the tool box / spare rack off, & holy poop. I thought 395's were heavy, but 14.00's just plain crazy heavy. I'm going to pull the pick up tubes & inspect for holes, replace the rest of the lines for both tanks (I may run hard line depending on how froggy I feel), get another filter, and remove the solenoid thing on the pump for a cleaning & inspection as doghead recommended. Something in that area is leaking. Has anyone ever put a in tank pump in? My wife wants me to, but my Google fu is failing me. Any ideas or recommendations on that would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far folks :)

Csm Davis

I would just check the in tank pick up and fix any leaks between that and the motor and not add complexity to the system by adding a in tank pump that will cost a couple hundred dollars, if you must put a pump in the system just add a inline pump and it will be easier to add and service later.

Baradium

What you described about the rpm coming down really slow after revving it up, is a very typical tell-tale for air in the fuel!
Seems to somewhat depend on your definition of "slow" too. The NHC-250 in my 923 comes down much slower than anything else I own, but the other 923 I had was the same way until the guy who has that one now did the duel fuel line mod to it.

Since all this started happening,have you filled up the fuel tank completely? Or is it running at a partial tank?

mattgunguy

Took the selector valve off during my lunch break today ( sometimes it's real handy driving a local truck for a living ), & May have found the culprit. The fuel lines, they be cracked. Not God awful bad, but weather cracked non the less. So after getting the deuce it's stupid yearly inspection for the slightly expired tags. We went hose shopping. 1st store, we don't make them. 2nd store, that dudes gone home for the day. Alright 3rd store, well we can do that. YAY, MY HERO'S!!!! An hour later, well we can do the end for the valve body, but the others ends fittings we just don't got. Hello wall, meet head. Was so frustrated that I forgot the o-rings for the valve itself. WINNING!!!

Gonna hit a heavy truck shop or two tomorrow if time permits, pick up a new filter. Gotta love ex-wife Fridays.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just cut off the rubber lines and reuse the fittings.

Never change tanks on a new to you truck, this has left many guys stranded.

mattgunguy

The fittings on the return lines are crimped on. Otherwise I would re-use them. The tank advice is sound advice. Wish I had been warned sooner. But the best way to learn a truck is to have to work on it. After this I'll be able help someone else with what I have learned.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace it all!

I had the same issues when I first got my truck also.

Here are some ideas for replacements.

I replaced everything from tanks to IP (to include the return lines)
(the spin-on fuel filter mod was already in place) with these items...

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Push_Lock_Hose_Barbs_s/60.htm

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Black_Push_Lock_Hose_p/3384-hose.htm

I removed all the hard lines and took the spider (selector) valve out of service. The left tank is plumbed directly to the IP. All the lines and fittings have been in service for five years now with zero problems.

Be mindful of the fuel supply line from the filter to the IP. If not routed properly the clutch pedal arm will rub a nice hole in that line if you use the rubber hose. I routed mine with a 90 degree elbow off the filter down then back up behind the fender support bracket.
Fuel filter detail.png

To transfer fuel, the right tank is connected to the left via a 24V inline pump and filter. The pump is operated from a switch located on the dashboard with a red power on/'hey-dummy-turn-me-off' light. I pulled the power from under the dashboard. I only fill the right tank after filling the left with the transfer pump.
$(KGrHqR,!lgE2Ej5Mg+yBNwbbb7-kQ~~_12.JPGSDC12267.jpgSDC12301.jpgSDC12283.jpgSDC12299.jpg

I hope this helps you out.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
where can i get a new spin on filter like that one. that one looks factory and would work real well with both 900 and 800 series

mattgunguy

Got new lines today, & wasn't that just a treat. Oh the looks & questions. It's a 5ton what? They say. But anyways, got 6 new lines made & will be at it early in the morning. Hopefully I can get the o-rings replaced tonight.

M1, love the inline pump. Will be doing something similar before long.

Tornadogt

FACT... I just picked up a M931a1 2011 rebuild with 60 miles on it (after rebuild) I filled both tanks at the first fuel station I could find off the base, but only used the Passanger side tank that it was set to when I picked it up. We stopped 2 times just to keep it filled to the above half tank on the typical lieing fuel gauge.. With the last 10 miles to my LZ I swapped the tanks I was at a good speed and RPM 40mph and 1600 rpm's or so just to see what would happen. A few chugs and rpms drop and sputter for about 15-20 sec. all clears up and runs well the rest of the way home. I started it up this morning all good and fired right up... My point is the lines were dry on the other tank and if I would of swapped them at an Idle It would have died and would of been a hassle added to an already long day..

Just to add on the Don't swap tanks on a recovery.. Don't shut them down until you are home.. If there is an overnight stay involved park it somewhere you can work on it if it does not restart in the morning..

mattgunguy

New o-rings on the switch valve & new hoses all the way around on it.
New o-rings on the primer pump.
New filter.
New hard line between filter and selector.
New fittings in almost every location.
New fuel.

And after all of that. Exactly the same thing as before. He'll idle great, but falls on his face and bogs out when going down the street. I even tried a inline pump just for giggles & it's a fail. Same crap. I'm at a complete loss & getting frustrated. Maybe I'll pull the fuel solenoid tomorrow. Maybe it's messed up somehow. There any good ways to check those?

goldneagle

New o-rings on the switch valve & new hoses all the way around on it.
New o-rings on the primer pump.
New filter.
New hard line between filter and selector.
New fittings in almost every location.
New fuel.

And after all of that. Exactly the same thing as before. He'll idle great, but falls on his face and bogs out when going down the street. I even tried a inline pump just for giggles & it's a fail. Same crap. I'm at a complete loss & getting frustrated. Maybe I'll pull the fuel solenoid tomorrow. Maybe it's messed up somehow. There any good ways to check those?
Use the thumb screw on the side to keep it open manually. If that solves the probelm then its the solenoid valve. I did that on my M820A2 when I had similar trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks