• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 Va Rally at Graves Mountain Aug 29-Sept 1, 2014 (aka, Labor Day Weekend).

CGarbee

From the registration form I see the deadline is August 20th. The way things have gone for us this year I am reluctant to plan anything, but as of the present we are hoping to come up and join you folks for a weekend of camping. I guess for the time being we will just wait and watch until a little closer to the 20th.
Don, just come on up. I'll talk to the guy handling registration for you. :)

CJ9/Granny

Don, just come on up. I'll talk to the guy handling registration for you. :)
I appreciate that... and may take you up on the offer. I remember two years ago the weather was just plain oppressive (heat & humidity). I guess it's mainly 'cause we are getting old, but weather forecasts have a big influence on our outdoor plans these days. We will just wait and see what happens. Again... ThanX!!! :beer:

CGarbee

I've had a few phone call concerning camping at Graves... The field that the horse crowd uses (between our field and the main road) is closed to overnight camping due to the drilling of new wells and the Graves are awaiting Health Department ok on them before they resume unrestricted overnight camping in that area.
We, however, are camping in a different field and have a Special Use Permit anyway...so we are good to go.

Last edited:

olbucksnort

Thank you CGarbee. The horsey people are very nice but I love the "Smell of Diesel in the Morning" (p.s. I am bringing my Espresso Machine this year just to kick it up a notch ) coffee in a can suc-s anymore.

JSF01

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it this year, since my truck's engine self destructed. I have a replacement ordered and it should be here next week, But I doubt I'll be able to get it installed on time to make it.

CGarbee

Olbucksnort is correct... You DON'T actually have to arrive and/or have a MV to attend... :)
We should be able to get folks out on the trails as co-drivers...
I also know a couple of folks who are planning on spending the weekend in the pool or hanging out in the big field socializing..

JSF01

That truck was my daily driver, so that leaves me only my 72 Mini to drive, which is not yet in a condition to do long trips. Actually it's not really in a condition that I'd consider good just to drive too and from work as I am now. It would also have the issue of the lack of space to pack anything so I could actually camp. I haven't completely giving up hope on making it and I will be trying to, I'm just not holding my breath. If I do make it, I'll be bringing some of my arsenal again.

CGarbee

That truck was my daily driver, so that leaves me only my 72 Mini to drive, which is not yet in a condition to do long trips. Actually it's not really in a condition that I'd consider good just to drive too and from work as I am now. It would also have the issue of the lack of space to pack anything so I could actually camp. I haven't completely giving up hope on making it and I will be trying to, I'm just not holding my breath. If I do make it, I'll be bringing some of my arsenal again.
CSmith and BlakeS are convoying up from the Tidewater area on Friday. You might be able to hitch a ride.

JSF01

@olbucksnort thanks for the offer, but Bowling Green is a lot farther than I am currently willing to drive the mini, and if I work out transportation to there, then I'd probably be able to get transported all the way to Graves Mountain. I do have a coworker that may be interested in going up with me, so I may be able to get a ride up with him, if his girlfriend is alright with going.

JSF01

JFS01 email sent re ride
I received your email and will contact you Tuesday or Wednesday when I should have every thing figured out. Assuming that my co worker won't be going, and my truck won't be done in time, meeting up with you will be easy. If it wasn't for it probably illegal, you wouldn't even need to get off the highway since it runs withing 50 yards my apartment complex at mile mile marker 252 with only a chain link fence, that I could easily hop, separating the two at mile mile marker 252.

CJ9/Granny

Just out of curiosity... does anyone have any idea as to how many women may might attend this event. My other half thinks very highly you "fellows" that she has met, but has also mentioned that it would be nice to hear a few female voices among the crowd.

CGarbee

Just out of curiosity... does anyone have any idea as to how many women may might attend this event. My other half thinks very highly you "fellows" that she has met, but has also mentioned that it would be nice to hear a few female voices among the crowd.
I would have to look at the roster (which I need to update tonight for BMan to use a the registration tent...), but, offhand: Laura and her granddaughter Khloe, Debbie, Donna, Lynn (who has not been before), and Pam. BMan will be joined by his daughter, but I think that his wife and other daughter are having a "spa weekend"...
I know that there are a few more signed up but will need to look at the registrations...

None of the ladies seem to be very active on this forum, but the ones in the modern jeeps are fairly active on Facebook and have been posting on this event's page there and on the Rockridge Offroad group's page...

Hope to see you both,
Cabell

CGarbee

bald eagle at graves.jpg

While mowing the big field this past Saturday, Gary took this photo of a bald eagle. We have several of them nesting in the area... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks