• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another bullet muffler install

yak50pilot

Can you tell me where you got it? Is it a NAPA part? . . . some place else?
I got mine from a local supplier. Million parts warehouse. They don't have a web sight. I think they have a my space page though. I don't know why :-?
Not sure if they ship. 810-235-8877

dcwilkie

Begs the question- can this installation produce too much back pressure and cause you to blow the head or exhaust manifold gasket? Reason why I'm asking this is because I believe my head gasket is blown causing oil to be blown into the exhaust. It's running down the stack as a black char and blowing back onto the bed and canvas in drops. This happened right after the bullet muffler installation.:-?

dcwilkie

I'm also getting exhaust in the cab. Might as well just have piped the exhaust straight from the motor into the cab as much exhaust that's getting in. It's coming in around the gearshift.
Trouble is it's been too fraggin' cold to get out there and really diagnose/ fix this problem.
So... just how heavy IS the Deuce head? I sure dread pulling it, but feel like it will be necessary.
Say I pull it and replace the head gasket. Should I yank the bullet muffler to prevent this from happening again?

yak50pilot

I'm also getting exhaust in the cab. Might as well just have piped the exhaust straight from the motor into the cab as much exhaust that's getting in. It's coming in around the gearshift.
Trouble is it's been too fraggin' cold to get out there and really diagnose/ fix this problem.
LOL!

Diesel motors do this. My F250 did it brand new. It is more likely carbon and not oil. At the truck pulls they pump a 20 foot fountain of black smoke into the air. This means you are making power. I heard one time that if there was no wind on the face of the earth we would be standing in a foot of black soot from diesel trucks!

When a head gasket goes bad you will get coolant in the cylinder. Seen as white smoke out the exhaust. Also the radiator hoses will be rock hard from cylinder pressure leaking into the coolant.

You can also check the turbo seals by pulling off of the intake side of the turbo and checking for oil there. Also the pressure side of the turbo to intake manifold. There will be raw oil there. I doubt you have a head gasket issue.

Check the basics first before you jump to pulling the head. A muffler will not make a head gasket blow. The seals on the exhaust are not real good on these things. The whole reason the pipe is facing away from the truck is to help keep the truck clean. Diesel trucks have a high carbon foot print.

Come to Michigan if you want to know what cold really is!

Last edited:

yak50pilot

I placed a "Green" sticker on my deuce instantly making it a Green MV. So all the diesel fumes I inhale when I drive it is no longer harmful to my lungs.

Hey! It's what the government does!
My God is that a club and a chain on your truck?

Nice looking interior too.:beer:

Gunnar1071

Begs the question- can this installation produce too much back pressure and cause you to blow the head or exhaust manifold gasket? Reason why I'm asking this is because I believe my head gasket is blown causing oil to be blown into the exhaust. It's running down the stack as a black char and blowing back onto the bed and canvas in drops. This happened right after the bullet muffler installation.:-?
Quite possible or it could be like yak50pilot said, a condensation / carbon mixture forming on the louvers of the muffler, which put it out in the exhaust stream more than a straight pipe.

Attachments

yak50pilot

Quite possible or it could be like yak50pilot said, a condensation / carbon mixture forming on the louvers of the muffler, which put it out in the exhaust stream more than a straight pipe.
Yes your on the right track. I had to change out my tail pipe on my powerstoke as it was shooting the carbon down the side of my race car. (open trailer)

By the time I got to the track, my car was covered, the wole passenger side.

Yuk:(

dcwilkie

That's quite a relief about it not being the head gasket. I'll have a look at the turbo intake, etc.
Looking back, I don't think I would do the muffler installation again. Not enough noise reduction for the mess it makes.

oddshot

Patriot Exhaust H3843 - Patriot Muffler Inserts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

maybe this is an idea.......i didn't install it yet, cause i like the sound with the bullet.

This things looks pretty cool ... it just *might* work ...

But my Daddy taught me that *mites* are found on a chicken's rear end.

I did a search ... both on this Site (both the Deuce forum AND this forum) AND on the Internet ...

I found a lot of people talking about these things ...

BUT I couldn't find anybody that installed one OR a fact based OPINION about the sound reduction these things give anywhere.

This is a pretty important issue for me ... I had to have my left ear "hollowed out" after a lifetime of infections ... so I got NO hearing on that side ... and on the right side ... I'm down to about 1/2 of normal.

I'd hate to loose what little I got left.

YES!!! I wear ear plugs when shooting AND driving the Deuce!

oddshot

rrrr

The bullet install on mine went well. As far as sound reduction there is some. It reduced that heavy thruuuum sound. Although it is a little more quiet I still wear ear plugs because its still very loud, just not as loud. Idle noise is much better.

yak50pilot

But my Daddy taught me that *mites* are found on a chicken's rear end.

LOL!

My muffler is a spiral baffle. The good part is it is welded into the muffler housing. At idle you can notice a reduction, also it killed the drone at steady throttle. I did not put a DB meter to it as I have too much to do on it as it is.

My whole muffler job was 45 dollars.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks