• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M35A2, with a unique addition

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i don’t know if it’s a “trend.” I can only speak for mine. Are there others like this?
I bought my M923A2 with the intent to move the van body from my M109A3 onto it. So I had a left over 5 ton cargo bed and a deuce chassis... I intend to shorten the bed to match the frame at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Attachments

Danspomer

Ok, guys… one simple question. Someone cut the air hose at the dash (inside the cab) for the air-powered wipers. I’m putting electric wipers on.

would it be safe to assume that hose needs to be plugged?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, guys… one simple question. Someone cut the air hose at the dash (inside the cab) for the air-powered wipers. I’m putting electric wipers on.

would it be safe to assume that hose needs to be plugged?
EDITED (Thanks for clarification cattlerepairman !)

Hose runs up to the wiper, so you should have an air leak and feel an air leak.
Wiper control on and off is (NOT) mounted on the wiper motor.

If you plan to replace the air wipers, following that loose hose to its origin would be the safe way to stop that leak. Yeah, you could plug it with a golf tee or a bolt and a hose clamp, but disconnecting it solves a future leak in that hose. If you don't feel air coming out, somebody may have already "fixed" the air leak.

Last edited:

Danspomer

I also have several push buttons that don’t match the manual. Aftermarket stuff? I found that this was used by the city of Farmington, NM for some time.

CC8D2D79-9360-42B7-B283-FF6E00AB99C8.jpeg

Danspomer

Um...hose runs from air supply to the wiper control valve in the dash and then to the wipers. What you cut after that dash valve doesn't matter, as long as you leave the dash valve closed.
Gentlemen: attached is a photo of my parking brake assembly, taken today. I think one side of these shoes looks worn (or gone). Would that be a correct assumption?

Also, is there an agreed upon procedure for adapting the air access port under the dash with standard air fittings?

Many thanks in advance!

D4DB136E-5FFD-4DA5-9024-AC09EAF0064E.jpeg
1CF9279D-C88A-4389-A370-813C58F645D6.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gentlemen: attached is a photo of my parking brake assembly, taken today. I think one side of these shoes looks worn (or gone). Would that be a correct assumption?

Also, is there an agreed upon procedure for adapting the air access port under the dash with standard air fittings?

Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 839495View attachment 839494
The outer shoe sure looks worn to me. Can't tell for sure, but it looks like a prime candidate for replacement. I wonder if that grease fitting needs a little attention. What should happen is that pair of shoes "float" on that center pin and when adjusted, both shoes should contact the drum. Out here on the near side of the drum, I don't see scores like the shoe lining is completely gone...

Air Access Port. Help us here just a little. The wiper air line is pretty small. It did a good job of airing up those wipers, but there isn't really anything else you should be "driving" with that air connection. Could I ask what you might have in mind for that air?

Danspomer

The outer shoe sure looks worn to me. Can't tell for sure, but it looks like a prime candidate for replacement. I wonder if that grease fitting needs a little attention. What should happen is that pair of shoes "float" on that center pin and when adjusted, both shoes should contact the drum. Out here on the near side of the drum, I don't see scores like the shoe lining is completely gone...

Air Access Port. Help us here just a little. The wiper air line is pretty small. It did a good job of airing up those wipers, but there isn't really anything else you should be "driving" with that air connection. Could I ask what you might have in mind for that air?
Thanks for the reply on the brake! Much appreciated! 👍

The air port I’m referring to is the one on the firewall under the dash (passenger side). I have a slow leak in the front right tire, and long story short, I want to use the port to air up the tire. I need 50 psi.

The port is a machine threaded valve with a metal cap that unscrews. There is also a simply gate valve kind of thing hanging on the underside of the port that you simply turn on and off. I thought I had taken a photo of it today, but for some reason it

Thanks for the reply on the parking brake! Much appreciated! 👍

The air port: under the “glove box,” on the firewall, is an air port that has a machine type cap on it, with a simple “gate valve” on/off switch. It’s meant for basic use of air pressure, like airing up a tire, etc.

And that’s exactly what I need it for. I have a very slow leak in my front right tire. Until I get it repaired, I’d like to tap into that port. I only need 50 psi or so.

The thing is, it’s not compatible with modern air tools, hoses, etc. I just wondered if someone has come up with a conversion/solution to this.

I thought I had taken a picture of it today, but apparently not.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply on the brake! Much appreciated! 👍

The air port I’m referring to is the one on the firewall under the dash (passenger side). I have a slow leak in the front right tire, and long story short, I want to use the port to air up the tire. I need 50 psi.

The port is a machine threaded valve with a metal cap that unscrews. There is also a simply gate valve kind of thing hanging on the underside of the port that you simply turn on and off. I thought I had taken a photo of it today, but for some reason it

Thanks for the reply on the parking brake! Much appreciated! 👍

The air port: under the “glove box,” on the firewall, is an air port that has a machine type cap on it, with a simple “gate valve” on/off switch. It’s meant for basic use of air pressure, like airing up a tire, etc.

And that’s exactly what I need it for. I have a very slow leak in my front right tire. Until I get it repaired, I’d like to tap into that port. I only need 50 psi or so.

The thing is, it’s not compatible with modern air tools, hoses, etc. I just wondered if someone has come up with a conversion/solution to this.

I thought I had taken a picture of it today, but apparently not.

Looking for air...

So I guess I have more questions.
• There are no gladhands on the front or back of your truck?
• You have air tanks?

In a perfect world, the front gladhands are for applying air to your truck when being towed. One hand is to apply the brakes. The other hand is to fill the air tanks. On the back of the truck, same thing except that your truck air compressor supplies air to the trailer you might attach to the pintle hook.

The easiest way to air up a tire - using the air on board your truck would be with a quick connect - that is easy to reach.

Maybe a few pictures under the truck posted here and the front and back of the truck?

Danspomer

Looking for air...

So I guess I have more questions.
• There are no gladhands on the front or back of your truck?
• You have air tanks?

In a perfect world, the front gladhands are for applying air to your truck when being towed. One hand is to apply the brakes. The other hand is to fill the air tanks. On the back of the truck, same thing except that your truck air compressor supplies air to the trailer you might attach to the pintle hook.

The easiest way to air up a tire - using the air on board your truck would be with a quick connect - that is easy to reach.

Maybe a few pictures under the truck posted here and the front and back of the truck?
I’m going to have to find a pic. My truck has a dedicated air port under the glove box on the firewall, inside the cab, that is DESIGNED to give air access for minor duties, such as airing a tire. I believe it’s actually in the manual. I’ll look.

It is also my understanding that this was fairly standard for these trucks. I’ve seen this featured on many YouTube videos.

I do not have gladhands, front or back.

Danspomer

I’m going to have to find a pic. My truck has a dedicated air port under the glove box on the firewall, inside the cab, that is DESIGNED to give air access for minor duties, such as airing a tire. I believe it’s actually in the manual. I’ll look.

It is also my understanding that this was fairly standard for these trucks. I’ve seen this featured on many YouTube videos.

I do not have gladhands, front or back.
Here it is.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here it is.

Kip, I watched the video. You could plumb in an air fitting. On the right side under the dash, that almost looks like a drain valve but I couldn't quite tell for sure. You could even follow the hose up to the air wipers and plumb in your quick connect there and have a valve that you can turn on and off.

You would need to have the right fittings and support that hose quick connect. Thinking about it, you should have the same pressure on that line as the gauge is showing - since all of that plumbing goes to the same source...

Another idea might be to stick a fitting into the air tank outside if a plug is somewhere on the tank. Only reason for that is to already be outside if you want to air up a tire.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
For safely airing up tires I used that. I put a tee to a real gauge up to the dashboard and a stop valve and a quick disconnect fitting for my tire pressure gauge. I put air line to the tire with latching head. Filled tires up. That Matco tire pressure gauge able to be stop set at specific pressure. Don't even need truck running after air is built up.
Air pressure needed for brakes that is why I wanted a really good gauge in my sight at all times.
air in truck IMG_6455.JPG

Attachments

Danspomer

Kip, I watched the video. You could plumb in an air fitting. On the right side under the dash, that almost looks like a drain valve but I couldn't quite tell for sure. You could even follow the hose up to the air wipers and plumb in your quick connect there and have a valve that you can turn on and off.

You would need to have the right fittings and support that hose quick connect. Thinking about it, you should have the same pressure on that line as the gauge is showing - since all of that plumbing goes to the same source...

Another idea might be to stick a fitting into the air tank outside if a plug is somewhere on the tank. Only reason for that is to already be outside if you want to air up a tire.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that air outlet is there for the exact reason I need it. I just need to plumb a few parts to make things fit.

incidentally, here is a pic from my dad when he was in Japan in the early-mid 50s. Anyone recognize these trucks?

1626217529252.jpeg

1626217529252.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that air outlet is there for the exact reason I need it. I just need to plumb a few parts to make things fit.

incidentally, here is a pic from my dad when he was in Japan in the early-mid 50s. Anyone recognize these trucks?

View attachment 839548

View attachment 839548
Wow! Right to left, reading Asian:
M37 (sometimes known as a Dodge Weapon's Carrier)
M135 GMC Deuce and a Half (Best Guess) 6x6 with a GMC 302 6 cylinder in-line, 130 hp gas & GM Hydramatic (aka G-749, M-211)
M35 Reo Deuce and a Half, Possibly 330 Reo powered with an in-line 6, Gas powered (aka G-742)

There were definitely 4x4 versions of the GMC. I have never seen a factory built Reo without 3 axles.

------

I have poked around but I must not be digging deeply enough yet to get the answer on that air outlet on the passenger side, under the dash is for "by the book". We will find it eventually ;-)

Danspomer

Wow! Right to left, reading Asian:
M37 (sometimes known as a Dodge Weapon's Carrier)
M135 GMC Deuce and a Half (Best Guess) 6x6 with a GMC 302 6 cylinder in-line, 130 hp gas & GM Hydramatic (aka G-749, M-211)
M35 Reo Deuce and a Half, Possibly 330 Reo powered with an in-line 6, Gas powered (aka G-742)

There were definitely 4x4 versions of the GMC. I have never seen a factory built Reo without 3 axles.

------

I have poked around but I must not be digging deeply enough yet to get the answer on that air outlet on the passenger side, under the dash is for "by the book". We will find it eventually ;-)
My position is that the under dash air outlet is NOT a drain, as that would be unnecessary, because of the drains on the tanks. I still believe it was a dedicated air valve for simple tasks like airing up tires, etc. I mean, it has a gate valve for on/off, and a screw cap to keep it sealed. Doesn’t sound like any drain I’ve ever seen.

It would be interesting to see if there was an original accessory air hose for that port.

I’ll take some pictures of it this weekend, and I believe I have the right plumbing to make it work! 👍

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My position is that the under dash air outlet is NOT a drain, as that would be unnecessary, because of the drains on the tanks. I still believe it was a dedicated air valve for simple tasks like airing up tires, etc. I mean, it has a gate valve for on/off, and a screw cap to keep it sealed. Doesn’t sound like any drain I’ve ever seen.

It would be interesting to see if there was an original accessory air hose for that port.

I’ll take some pictures of it this weekend, and I believe I have the right plumbing to make it work! 👍
I have a valved air outlet under the dash of my M35A2. The metal pipe looks like its been there a while, while the valve and coupler both look brand new. My guess is that a previous owner replaced the original valve, maybe it was leaking? Anyway here's a picture of mine
20210715_173840.jpg

I think the same as you, that it is intended for airing up tires, small air tools. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify.

Attachments

Danspomer

I have a valved air outlet under the dash of my M35A2. The metal pipe looks like its been there a while, while the valve and coupler both look brand new. My guess is that a previous owner replaced the original valve, maybe it was leaking? Anyway here's a picture of mineView attachment 839705
I think the same as you, that it is intended for airing up tires, small air tools. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify.
That looks like the original air outlet, with a new gate valves for the hose attachment. The original gate valve is much more rudimentary, but works. He removed the original gate valve, it would appear.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks like the original air outlet, with a new gate valves for the hose attachment. The original gate valve is much more rudimentary, but works. He removed the original gate valve, it would appear.
Awlright! Found somebody who had one!!
Now at least you have a picture and something similar.

Thanks for posting and the pix M35fan !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks