• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

We have a winner. When I came home I had another package from Amazon. I quickly unboxed it and BINGO. We have a winner. P1000424.JPGP1000425.JPG
Meanwhile the Parts Geek pump that came today also was an incorrect pump. P1000426.JPGP1000427.JPG
Can you see the difference in the lever. The top one has zero free play when you depress the lever. That is correct and the curved lever has about 1/2 inch of free play in the compression. I know I covered this many times but when I have trouble getting the right parts after all my years of working on them. I want to help and share my knowledge to avoid anyone else the stress and waste of time and energy getting the pump installed and thinking now what. Take notes on this one. The Delphi CHFP906 is the correct pump. I still have more pumps coming. I was in a bind and I am way behind. Sounds like Charlie Daniels song. Take Care and Be Safe. I will post more pictures when I do the installation. Maybe give a few tips to ease the hassle of changing your unknown age pump. This truck has diesel fuel in the oil. Because I got oil out of the fuel pump so I think the diaphragm being compromised allowed the 2 fluids to mix. I will be changing the oil and filter during the installation of the fuel pump.

dougco1

We have a winner. When I came home I had another package from Amazon. I quickly unboxed it and BINGO. We have a winner. View attachment 817286View attachment 817287
Meanwhile the Parts Geek pump that came today also was an incorrect pump. View attachment 817288View attachment 817289
Can you see the difference in the lever. The top one has zero free play when you depress the lever. That is correct and the curved lever has about 1/2 inch of free play in the compression. I know I covered this many times but when I have trouble getting the right parts after all my years of working on them. I want to help and share my knowledge to avoid anyone else the stress and waste of time and energy getting the pump installed and thinking now what. Take notes on this one. The Delphi CHFP906 is the correct pump. I still have more pumps coming. I was in a bind and I am way behind. Sounds like Charlie Daniels song. Take Care and Be Safe. I will post more pictures when I do the installation. Maybe give a few tips to ease the hassle of changing your unknown age pump. This truck has diesel fuel in the oil. Because I got oil out of the fuel pump so I think the diaphragm being compromised allowed the 2 fluids to mix. I will be changing the oil and filter during the installation of the fuel pump.
You got me nervous Rick so I ordered one from Amazon to keep as a spare for my trucks. A few dollars more that you paid but it said only 2 left "now only 1 left".

Another Ahab

Number 2 pump arrived from parts geek. Wrong one.
Advance Auto also sent me wrong pump and got wrong pump from hub transferred to store.
Nothing is a Buzz Killer like waiting days, (all excited and fired-up), for that mail order item....

and then excitedly opening the box...

...and then discovering the wrong item inside.

You're made of good stuff, cucvrus, to keep your spirits up and stay positive.

cucvrus

With the daylight savings time it sure does get dark by 5. I did make a goal to get the fuel pump on the engine and I met that goal. The pump. P1000425.JPG The fuel pump push rod. P1000428.JPG the cover plate a new gasket and The Right Stuff. P1000429.JPGP1000430.JPG I cut off a short section from the end of the pump side.P1000432.JPG I installed the hose onto the pump with a new clamp and then I installed the pump onto the engine. P1000431.JPG This is always my favorite part of the job. The hardest part was getting the metal line hooked up. It was because of the deformity. I recommend getting everything started and after I have them started I tighten them all. Don't forget the M6 bolts on the bottom of the cover plate and use a good sturdy 5/8" line wrench to snug up the feed line. Good Luck. Should take about an hour start to finish. Do it from the top side. Much easier.

cucvrus

I completed the work on the Jersey Indian last night. I took it out for a test drive and the belts squealed so long and loud I had to go back and attempt to tighten them. They are at the maximum adjustment. I proceeded to the parts store and did the walk in and out till I found belts that fit tight and had lots of adjustment left. It drove nice and shifted really smooth. I was going to drive to work today but decided if I can't start a vehicle from my kitchen it is no longer worthy to be my daily driver in the winter. And at 35* that is winter to me. Besides I only live 1/2 mile from work and the energy it takes to start the old beast would not be replenished in the time it took me to drive to work. I see a hard and thorough test run at Rausch Creek for this M1028. It needs to get a little excitement in its life. It looks bored. Take Care and Be Safe. I am finally down to a manageable work load and getting projects completed or at least sealed till spring. I have my garage full again with a special M1009 project. You know. Those that need to know.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I was going to drive to work today but decided if I can't start a vehicle from my kitchen it is no longer worthy to be my daily driver in the winter. And at 35* that is winter to me.
They call that "summer" up there in the Dakotas, Maine and Minnesota.

But yeah, I know just what you mean.

panama

We have a winner. When I came home I had another package from Amazon. I quickly unboxed it and BINGO. We have a winner. View attachment 817286View attachment 817287
Meanwhile the Parts Geek pump that came today also was an incorrect pump. View attachment 817288View attachment 817289
So just for the sake of clarity should we assume the the Delphi CHFP906 and the HFP906 are the same part? I ask because one is easier to find than the other. THANKS!

cucvrus

So just for the sake of clarity should we assume the the Delphi CHFP906 and the HFP906 are the same part? I ask because one is easier to find than the other. THANKS!
I would not be the official to certify that. Just look at the lever. And if it has any free play on depression it is the wrong one. It should have resistance immediately upon depression. That is the dead give away.

Onto another issue. Have any of you done a lot of work and spent lots of money all along finding issues that would relate to the original issue. And just when you get everything all buttoned up you go back the next day and the same original issue is still there. Not as bad but still there. I had this same issue yesterday. I went out and started the Jersey Indian and went to move it up to my barn to service it and it fired right up. I smiled. After it went on fast idle it shut off. I cranked and it fired again after a few cranks. Now I am puzzled and disturbed. I took it for another drive and came back and it ran fine. I heard a few hiccups and a few slight misses. I was puzzled. I went under the truck and I seen fuel dripping from the hole in the fly wheel cover. I was wild with many fine tuned words. I mean I am struggling to get my work load caught up and then this. Remain calm. Well I know this was discussed in the past. The main fuel line under the intake to the injection pump was leaking. How can it be. I never had this happen. I imagined removing the intake and fixing it. Then I just took a deep breath and went in a got my Snap On micro mini 1/4" ratchet. I reached under the intake from the back side and was able to loosen the clamp and it popped the first revolution of the 1/4" nut. I also removed the feed line at the filter housing and pulled the line out. Sure enough both clamps had been compromised and were sprung. P1000433.JPG Gorilla tight and in my opinion the clamps were to big for the application. Maybe not but I had some new smaller ones and cut the ends of the smashed deformed hose ends off and cleaned the hose and inspected it. P1000432.JPG (just a sample picture of cut off end) I put some grease on the ends and used a tapered expander tool like an alignment tool and expanded the hose and massaged it in and out so I didn't need a Gorilla grip to push it back on the fittings. I spent about an hour getting everything fixed back up and started the truck and took it for a ride. I then brought it back and parked it were it was for the last month and put a sheet of cardboard under it. I left it idle about 1/2 hour while I put my tools away. I checked it was dry and I changed the oil and filter. I have an opinion on this. After I found all these issues fuel related I think the new lift pump put more pressure on everything and that was just enough to compromise the fuel system. All is well it is running great and shifts perfecto. Take care and enjoy the nice weather. Be Safe and Good Luck on your projects. I think I have this one in the bag.

Another Ahab

Remain calm. The main fuel line under the intake to the injection pump was leaking. I imagined removing the intake and fixing it. Then I just took a deep breath and went in a got my Snap On micro mini 1/4" ratchet.
cucvrus, you are a Zen Master!

The true warrior is the one who conquers Self (not Others).

You mastered the Anger and Slayed the Dragon.

I bow to You in Deepest Respect.

Attachments

cucvrus

Check everything fuel related at this point it sounds like it is dropping the fuel prime and dying out. check under the intake and under the fuel pump. You need to have an air tight system. It may not even be wet and it can loose the fuel prime. A small leak in the fuel system can play havoc on diagnosis. It even kicked my butt last week after finding several issues that were definite causes of the original issue. I even went as far as replacing the injection pump. but in the end it runs great and starts like designed. it was the right thing to do. Money well spent in a repair that was inevitable anyway very soon down the road. Good Luck. I have a few days that end up like this several times a month. Just learn and grow with them. I will never know everything.

cucvrus

After the second incorrect fuel pump from Parts geek they opted to not ask for it back. they issued a credit and told my Wife to keep it or discard it. I guess I could make it work if I were to weld a piece on the lever that would take the free play out of it. But I am not going to risk that. I will just add it to my collection and mark it as exhibit A. Incorrect fuel pump. Also I was working on an M1008 plow truck and to my surprise it had a lock ring in the front hub like I never seen on a CUCV before. And NO I do NOT like it. I struggled to get it out as it was beat in place and i never had it apart in many years. I did manage to pick up some nice Odyssey batteries. These have lots of cranking amps and are the 6TL type. P1000438.JPGP1000439.JPG They are sealed and have over 2000 cranking amps each. Shame I can't ship these I could give a good deal on them. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Attachments

cucvrus

After 2 hours of tedious light hammering I was able to remove the locking hub assembly from the right side axle. I will be able to reuse the hub assembly after some cleaning a bit of filing on the housing. I clamped a vise grips on the housing and tapped it back and forth to no avail. The axle stub was seized in the hub center drive. I blocked the axle behind the knuckle and tapped it back and forth while soaking it in Kroil spray. It eventually surrendered to my light abuse. I was being taunted by a fellow worker to burn it out and hit it like I mean it. I told him there is a big difference between a mechanic and a guy that beats stuff apart and just replaces parts. He already was on the smart phone looking up and saying that the hubs were $200. New and these were worn out. When I removed it and washed the hub body I showed him it will work another 35 years with new grease and some clean up. Throwing money at everything is not always the correct option. Patience and forethought always won on projects. I have gone wild on a few parts and after I was done I seen the error of my ways. Caught in the moment thing. Now I am trying to locate some Dana 60 Axle spindle nuts and a lock washer. I have them but this is work and not my truck. Take Care enjoy the weekend. It is sunny here in Pennsylvania. Be Safe.

Another Ahab

Throwing money at everything is not always the correct option. Patience and forethought always won on projects. I have gone wild on a few parts and after I was done I seen the error of my ways.
The SELLERS all hope they can numb us into Buying at the first sign of trouble (Good business for them, maybe not so Good at the User end).

You are A Wise Man, cucvrus.

Patience and Forethought (plus a little effort).

I like what you're preaching.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks