• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCVRUS Repair Projects

cucvrus

I was at work and I heard someone drive up in the CUCV M1028 we have been beating for 25 plus years. IMG_1671.jpeg I could hear it coming from a mile away. Anyway he shut it off and went and did some work. When it started it up and drove away I heard the strange sound the starter made engaging. I seen it parked at another location and decided to take a look see. IMG_1672.jpeg Problem number 1 3/8” starter bolts. Problem number 2 no support bracket. I spoke with the man that works on the vehicles and he basically blew me off and said it was good and that bracket was not needed. NAPA sent him the bolts and they were just a bit long so he used washers to make up for it. I thought about it and offered my help to deaf and ears. Next day zing zing. The starter is grinding and guess who found the broken bolt? I told them I have the remedy and can get you the right parts. Not listening again. More later. I have the correct parts coming to myself and will share the numbers when they arrive. IMG_1672.jpeg IMG_1673.jpeg IMG_1674.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was at work and I heard someone drive up in the CUCV M1028 we have been beating for 25 plus years. View attachment 922379 I could hear it coming from a mile away. Anyway he shut it off and went and did some work. When it started it up and drove away I heard the strange sound the starter made engaging. I seen it parked at another location and decided to take a look see. View attachment 922380 Problem number 1 3/8” starter bolts. Problem number 2 no support bracket. I spoke with the man that works on the vehicles and he basically blew me off and said it was good and that bracket was not needed. NAPA sent him the bolts and they were just a bit long so he used washers to make up for it. I thought about it and offered my help to deaf and ears. Next day zing zing. The starter is grinding and guess who found the broken bolt? I told them I have the remedy and can get you the right parts. Not listening again. More later. I have the correct parts coming to myself and will share the numbers when they arrive. View attachment 922380 View attachment 922381 View attachment 922382
That is sad.
Especially with your experience...

Sometimes people just won't listen.
Hard Head, soft backside.

Last edited:

87cr250r

If anyone is looking to buy starter bolts I do strongly suggest the ARP option. OEM bolts are no longer available so you're banking on aftermarket. The ARP bolts are made from a stainless steel alloy from Carpenter called Custom 450. Stainless is usually a terrible choice for bolting, hopefully this introduces people to better bolting with stainless.

cucvrus

Listen up. OEM CUCV starter bolts may not be available but OEM GM 6.5 stater bolts and support bracket are still available. I have worked with vehicles all my life and I used a 1996 Chevrolet 6.5 turbo G3500 van as Model to get parts for the starter bolts, IMG_1686.jpegthis the support bracket bolt that threads into the block. This is the starter support bracket. IMG_1685.jpegIMG_1687.jpeg This shows the part numbers I used yesterday at the local Chevrolet dealer to obtain the bolts and parts. I bought 4 starter bolts the metric bolt that attaches the support bracket to the bolt and the bracket. $50. US. Have a good day. I still have the stock direct drive support brackets if you need one hit me up with a PM. Have a Great Day. I hope I helped out at least one person. I myself am going order a box of the OEM starter bolts. I have a picture of the new starter bolts also. I will post here.IMG_1688.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks