• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce w/ hiab 950 knuckleboom

Lonesome715

This nrings up a good point. I was also considering doing something very similar. With the weight of the crane, along with the other mods I want and a loaded bed. I wonder if a five ton would be better.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great Joel!

I feel for you about the cylinder- I had an old forklift that the cylinder started leaking, small at first, and then within a week, a flood. Got to where I could only make one lift before the tank ran dry!

Hope you can get it fixed cheaply, they wanted $3000 to rebuild mine! I just found a whole nother mast for $400 :cool:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I understand that you have spent a lot of time and effort into fixing up your pipeline bed, but the 950 being so heavy and taking up so much space behind the cab, why not consider an M105 bed?
The pipeline bed weighs about 2,000 lb all by itself..maybe more.
I have thought about it, but the fenderwells in the 105 bed would drive me nuts, and getting rid of them would be as much work as shortening the pipeline bed.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about the 1.5 ton generator bed? Have a very nice one sitting in rockmart, cheap.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Looks like the 3/4 ton but the size of a M105. Have the complete trailer/bows zero rust.

FlatlinesUp

the real q is can you reach over the front of the cab and pick up a car and fling it back over the rear of the truck?

if not, can we get some plans to figure that out? :-D (who needs transformers?)

that's a way cool job you've done there

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is very cool Joel. I've sworn off 5 tons but an M813 with 1400x20s, a k-boom and a deuce bed sure sounds like an all in one useful truck!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Between rainstorms today I replaced the hydraulic head's "preformed packing" (o-rings) and changed the oil so that I can run the truck/crane more (was getting furl in the oil). I also hooked up the trailer to get it out of the way so I can start messing with the pipeline bed. I took it to the land where I plan to build and was going to get the m170 tub out , but I burst a hose while unfolding the boom:roll: I have deicded I will replace all the hoses beofre I lift anything heavy.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the fitting give way or was it the hose that burst?
You need to have the correct fitting (=rating) installed, I had problems with one made at a NAPA place until the proper high pressure fitting was installed. The fitting must grab the metal part of the hose to hold (sorry about the non-technical terms here).
Also, the fittings are not your standard American, I think they use a European standard...

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Did the fitting give way or was it the hose that burst?
It was the hose itself. The hoses are extremely age checked which allowed water to rust the metal reinforcement. For all I know these could be the original hoses from 1972. I'm thinking my full vertical extension the other day stressed the already weakened hoses by flexing them further than they have been flexed in years.

I "patched" the offending hose today so that I could retract the outriggers and then quickly shut the pump down as the patch only slowed the leak down from a spray/geyser to a FAST drip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks