• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with Cummins 6BT Info thread

HanksDeuce

davidb56

be
The intake piping looks funny on that truck. My truck has the turbo compressor inlet closer to the radiator, and the exhaust dumps into the downpipe near the firewall. It looks like this truck has the compressor inlet piping on the firewall side, but how is the downpipe routed near the radiator?

Eastern's 6bt pic

My 6bt engine pic
because yours has a intercooler, and the other one doesn't......

HanksDeuce

because yours has a intercooler, and the other one doesn't......
I don't think so. Here's another one without an intercooler (from page 1 of this thread). Air filter feeds front of turbo (not the firewall side). Of course the turbo in the picture below sits up much higher than the Eastern Surplus listed engine.

I have no clue if there was a contract with plans on one way to do this, or some of these pictures are custom M35A2s with 6BT builds like mine.

8649460.jpg

davidb56

I don't think so. Here's another one without an intercooler (from page 1 of this thread). Air filter feeds front of turbo (not the firewall side). Of course the turbo in the picture below sits up much higher than the Eastern Surplus listed engine.

I have no clue if there was a contract with plans on one way to do this, or some of these pictures are custom M35A2s with 6BT builds like mine.

View attachment 787266
the one turbo is flipped. air side is at the rear, the one in this pic has the air side in the front. 1989-91 cummins 5.9 were not all intercooled. Also follow the air intake manifold to the turbo, it would be going to the front of the engine if it was intercooled, as the intercooler would be in front of the radiator....Both are piped right back to the turbo.

Last edited:

radog3

I'm hoping to figure out the story on my cummins conversion 71' m35a2. The tan cummins in the first picture is mine and I couldn't help but notice the alternator bracket is the same as the second picture. I've since swaped in an aftermarket radiator because the original was torn up by the winch cable when I bought it. The other pictures are my engine mounts etc. I'm just curious if the military actually converted a few of the trucks themselves or if a company was selling a conversion kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Holger

The intake piping looks funny on that truck. My truck has the turbo compressor inlet closer to the radiator, and the exhaust dumps into the downpipe near the firewall. It looks like this truck has the compressor inlet piping on the firewall side, but how is the downpipe routed near the radiator?

Eastern's 6bt pic

My 6bt engine pic
Hi, writing you from Brazil. I´m not sure whether the truck with intercooler aplication is yours - but even if not, maybe you could tell me who can give me some hints about - thinking about putting it on my M35AC Cummins 6BT

HanksDeuce

Hi, writing you from Brazil. I´m not sure whether the truck with intercooler aplication is yours - but even if not, maybe you could tell me who can give me some hints about - thinking about putting it on my M35AC Cummins 6BT
The M35A2 with intercooled 6BT is indeed mine. I ended up having to use a longer military truck hood (dump truck?) because the radiator/intercooler assembly stuck out too far.

For more information on fitting the intercooler visit the following, https://www.hanksdeuce.com/intercooler_mods.htm

GM-M1008

Mines intercooled. It actually has a cummins part number on it if you’d like. Fits behind the stock grill and hood.

GM-M1008

... also if you had some images of your application, would be very much appreciated
I’ll get the part number off it when I’m at the truck.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks