• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankem-Deep

Here. Yes. Better name might be "That's gonna leave a mark Grab Bars".
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/85134-diy-grab-bars.html

I will supply some of that padding that goes around pipe just for you 998Junkie!! I really don't think hitting your head will be an issue unless you drive like your running the Baja 1000 hitting boulders like speed bumps. If that's the case I would opt for the ones that hug the roof and use the strap on style grab handles. For everyday getting in and out the regular ones will suit you well.

Shankem-Deep

I finished up the Rock Sliders for my buddies M-1009 last night. I need to spray them with bed liner before I install them. Hopefully I can get them sprayed and installed in the next few days. I've got a lot going so we'll see. I changed up the steps because these sliders are a lot shorter than the ones for the trucks. I think they would've looked funny with the truck style steps since they take up a lot of room on the slider body. If they look crooked in the pics, they are. They frame is a lot different on the 09's, so I had to build accordingly. I may add a support that attatches to the body mounts. I will decide that after I get one installed and see how stought it is. :wink:

Attachments

I finished up the Rock Sliders for my buddies M-1009 last night. I need to spray them with bed liner before I install them. Hopefully I can get them sprayed and installed in the next few days. I've got a lot going so we'll see. I changed up the steps because these sliders are a lot shorter than the ones for the trucks. I think they would've looked funny with the truck style steps since they take up a lot of room on the slider body. If they look crooked in the pics, they are. They frame is a lot different on the 09's, so I had to build accordingly. I may add a support that attatches to the body mounts. I will decide that after I get one installed and see how stought it is. :wink:

SWEET... i like how the tube blends into the slider... Do you have an estimate on cost and Shipping to 37066 yet? i'd like as set.. but just the sliders and mounting arms seperate..... Whats the length in inches of these sliders.... i have other mods in place on my M1009... that you arent aware of that i would have to cut and move accordingly anyways.....

Shankem-Deep

SWEET... i like how the tube blends into the slider... Do you have an estimate on cost and Shipping to 37066 yet? i'd like as set.. but just the sliders and mounting arms seperate..... Whats the length in inches of these sliders.... i have other mods in place on my M1009... that you arent aware of that i would have to cut and move accordingly anyways.....
These are 62" long at the longest point. I need to weigh these to get you a shipping quote. I will get you an estimate in the next day or so. As far as sending them with mounting arms seperate, I don't think it would help you. These only mount in one spot. You won't be able to move the mounts to clear something. You would have to move whatever you have in the way of the mouning area. The mounting arms are cut on specific angles based on the mounting spots I used. Take some pics of of your frame on both sides and I will be able to help more.

These are 62" long at the longest point. I need to weigh these to get you a shipping quote. I will get you an estimate in the next day or so. As far as sending them with mounting arms seperate, I don't think it would help you. These only mount in one spot. You won't be able to move the mounts to clear something. You would have to move whatever you have in the way of the mouning area. The mounting arms are cut on specific angles based on the mounting spots I used. Take some pics of of your frame on both sides and I will be able to help more.

Ugh... 62" is still too long... Im needing them around 54-56 1/2" range as i have trimed fenders.. and my axles have been repositoned a bit from factory.. ( will have to play with a 2x4 to get an exact measurement needed for length..) that is why i was requesting them to not have arms attached.. and given the the quailty work you do, and the distance involved... I dont want to short change you or myself. i do like your design, it intergrates well with my front bumper, and plans i have in place for having custom rear bumper made. and its no off the shelf product..

Shankem-Deep

Ugh... 62" is still too long... Im needing them around 54-56 1/2" range as i have trimed fenders.. and my axles have been repositoned a bit from factory.. ( will have to play with a 2x4 to get an exact measurement needed for length..) that is why i was requesting them to not have arms attached.. and given the the quailty work you do, and the distance involved... I dont want to short change you or myself. i do like your design, it intergrates well with my front bumper, and plans i have in place for having custom rear bumper made. and its no off the shelf product..
That's no problem. We could shorten them up without changing where the mounts go. Just figure out how long you want them.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a pic of the drivers side finally. These really do make it look a lot tougher! View attachment 321955
I think it completes the look. Your truck looks awesome. With out them the truck looks standard.

Shakem-Deep is setting a standard around here for the serious CUCV owner that plan on keeping their trucks. They defiantly will raise the resale value as well. He made me a set of Grab Bars along with the sliders. I have yet to install them since I have to much on my plate to get to it.

True Knight

I think it completes the look. Your truck looks awesome. With out them the truck looks standard.

Shakem-Deep is setting a standard around here for the serious CUCV owner that plan on keeping their trucks. They defiantly will raise the resale value as well. He made me a set of Grab Bars along with the sliders. I have yet to install them since I have to much on my plate to get to it.
Thank you sir. Your truck looks awesome too! Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a lot on my list that have been put off for too long. Like the 24v winch that has been sitting in my garage for almost a year. And a lighter receptacle so I can do things like charge my phone on trips that has been waiting to be put in for about a year and a half.

Shankem-Deep

I cleaned them up and sprayed them with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I got them mounted up and took a few pics. This 09 doesn't have a lift so the steps are border line too long but with a small lift it would look good I think. They make it super easy getting in and out though. As with the truck steps, they simply un-bolt. I takes no time to take these off if the going gets rough. Overall I am really happy with the way these turned out. The only issue is that on the passenger side rear mount; I had to remove two clamps that hold a couple hard lines to the frame and relocate them. It's no big deal but just fyi.:cool:

Attachments

bronco74

1009 sliders

The sliders look great. Now that they are mounted, are you happy with how sturdy they are? You mentioned earlier you may want to tie them into the body mounts.

Shankem-Deep

We'll after going to lunch with the owner of the blazer and a guy with a degree in physics. We've decided that they are strong enough. I weigh close to 260 and when I step on them they do give. While I was stepping on them my buddies were watching from underneath, they agree that a lot of the flex is coming from the frame twisting slightly. I'm affraid if I attatch to the frame and the body it may cause stresses else where when offroading. It also may break or bend the weakest mounting point, that being the body. As they are right now, my buddy who owns the 09 said he may have me add a cross brace that connects both frame rails between the rear mounts of the sliders. The front mounts are close to the cross member by the transfer case, so we're good there. Keep in mind that this guy is not easy on his 09 when we go offroad. He usually breaks something everytime we go out. Anyway I think they are strong enough for guys who weigh under 400 pounds for getting in and out. I also think they are strong enough for all but the most hardcore offroading. I'm gonna say you would have to be trying hard to tear them up.

AllenEM

We'll after going to lunch with the owner of the blazer and a guy with a degree in physics. We've decided that they are strong enough. I weigh close to 260 and when I step on them they do give. While I was stepping on them my buddies were watching from underneath, they agree that a lot of the flex is coming from the frame twisting slightly. I'm affraid if I attatch to the frame and the body it may cause stresses else where when offroading. It also may break or bend the weakest mounting point, that being the body. As they are right now, my buddy who owns the 09 said he may have me add a cross brace that connects both frame rails between the rear mounts of the sliders. The front mounts are close to the cross member by the transfer case, so we're good there. Keep in mind that this guy is not easy on his 09 when we go offroad. He usually breaks something everytime we go out. Anyway I think they are strong enough for guys who weigh under 400 pounds for getting in and out. I also think they are strong enough for all but the most hardcore offroading. I'm gonna say you would have to be trying hard to tear them up.
Good Job is my Jeep next????

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks