• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HanksDeuce: 8" Lift, Bobbed, External Cage, A/C and more Project!

HanksDeuce

So I think I broke a rear axle shaft or the spider gears in the rear diff. I pulled a stuck U-haul out from a previously flooded home in St. Gabriel off Hwy 30 where volunteers were gutting it for repairs. This behemoth U-haul was stuck to the bottom of the rear axle, and the front was deep in as well. I tried tugging the rear to the right side towards the road, but that ended up looking like I was pulling a form down his yard to make a paved ditch. I drove around behind the U-haul and hooked up to the rear ball hitch again and pulled the rear onto their limestone driveway. This gutless U-haul would only spin one side of the dually tires and the front went nowhere. I drove around the front and hooked my multi-webbing military strap to the front axle sub frame and a gentle tug got her free.

I disengaged the front axle, turned my Ouverson lockouts to "Free", shifted the transfer case to "high", and the home owner thanked me before I drove away. Less than 100 yards down his street I felt a pop each time I turned left. The drive home was about 10 miles. I took it slow and cautious. Again, each time I take a left turn the rear seems to pop or jerk only once. I'm thinking I snapped the passenger rear axle shaft. Work has me swamped for the next several weeks, so I won't be able to tear down for repairs. I do have my spare axle from before I bobbed my deuce so that's a blessing.

Thoughts? Any chance the spider gears are shredded but only popping on left turns? If it turns out that the spider gears are trashed I might consider upgrading to the Ouverson rear axle Violator kit that upgrades to 2" axles and a locker. We shall see soon. Funny thing is I always get onto people for not getting out of the throttle while their truck is bouncing while under a strain while pulling. I don't remember my bobber bouncing that much, but it probably only takes a little bit of shock load from the larger (53") tires to cause catastrophic axle part failure from a stock axle setup. You could say I knew this was coming.

sawdustnsteel

Well, the size of my horn finally matches the size of my bobbed deuce! Maybe in good spirits I should shorten the horn to only 3 bells instead of 5? :D

They warned me this horn setup would suck up some air. Boy does it! Just a few seconds takes 25 psi. I'm told the horn setup can use 70 scfm wide open, and my compressor only puts out 13.2 scfm. Of course I'm not going to use it for long bursts. I only want it for the occasional nut job that pulls out in front of a 13,000 lb military vehicle going 55 mph.

I can't find the size of the factory deuce air tanks. By using the outside diameter I came up with 20 gallons each. I'm thinking 30 gallons total. Anybody know for sure?

Comments:
- Nathan Airchime K5LA train horn
- Air compressor governor is set for 125 psi (cut-in 105 psi)
- Horns are so well hidden nobody saw them at a car show today
- Mounted manual valve between deuce air ride seats
- Tested at 100 ft = 116.4 dB
- Tested at 3 ft = 149.4 dB

As always, more pics (and videos) can be found at my personal deuce website: http://www.hanksdeuce.com
let me know if you want to sell it and get a 3 horn version. I want the big nathan bad for my m931 bobbed 5 ton:D

Another Ahab

Funny thing is I always get onto people for not getting out of the throttle while their truck is bouncing while under a strain while pulling. I don't remember my bobber bouncing that much, but it probably only takes a little bit of shock load from the larger (53") tires to cause catastrophic axle part failure from a stock axle setup. You could say I knew this was coming.
That's no just reward for all the real superb good you did during the flooding. It stinks for sure.

Stuff happens though I guess. I sure hope it isn't real bad for you.

HanksDeuce

So I'm leaning towards upgrading the stock rear axle shafts to Ouverson chromoly pieces. At the same time I'll drop in an Ouverson rear locker. Since I have to take the front axle apart after fording the deep water I might as well replace the front shafts and put a locker in there too. I'll be calling you soon, Steve (@Ouverson). This will at least make my front axle shafts the same. Right now one side is a u-joint style while the other side is the Rzeppa (ball) type.

The King Machine

I'm really interested in seeing your install posts. Lockers are on my list.
Sorry to hear about the trouble, however breaking things often motivates me to spend more money than I should. You appear to be cut from the same cloth haha

HanksDeuce

So it turns out I didn't snap either one of the rear axle shafts. I drained a bit of water and milk chocolate oil out of the rear diff housing. There were a few small pieces of metal attached to the magnet in the drain plug. A buddy of mine helped me remove the rear axle 3rd member by running a piece of pipe under the bed and on top of the wood pieces that run on the top frame rails. Using a 1 ton chain fall and a small choker to the pipe we were able to pick the 3rd member up, pull the 3rd member forward towards the cab, and then lower it to the ground below. There were chunks of gear teeth everywhere inside the empty axle housing. There's chunks of brass looking material too.

More pictures to follow when I tear the 3rd member apart. I will be ditching the open differential and swapping to an Ouverson locker for the rear axle assembly. The Ouverson factory replacement 16 spline chromoly axle shafts will go in later.

Notes on pictures:
1) I highly recommend using the washer trick on top of the nuts under the pinion housing to break the 3rd member seal.
2) I will neither confirm nor deny any involvement in the rigging you see in the photos.
3) Flood waters did a number on the underside of my bobbed deuce. I will have to clean and repaint as necessary!
4) More photos to come!

Attachments

Another Ahab

That's something how that pumpkin almost looks tiny in comparison to those "brobdannigan" tires of yours, HanksDeuce. It's a Big Rig. :3dAngus:

Last edited:

hansrober

Hank, I like your style and the way you get out and utilize your truck while having lots of fun doing it! I have in enjoyed reading your posts. Keep up the good work and great documentation.

Another Ahab

Hank, I like your style and the way you get out and utilize your truck while having lots of fun doing it! I have in enjoyed reading your posts. Keep up the good work and great documentation.
HanksDeuce is a Class Act, reflected both in his truck and what he does with it. He makes all of us here look good. [thumbzup]

HanksDeuce

Okay, I finally got time away from work to tear apart the 3rd member of the rear axle. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Kaboom! I'm surprised the cross made it.

Notes on the pictures:
- I used TM9-2320-361-34 (sections 10-3 & 10-4). Find the TM here
- Make sure to make alignment marks per the TM (bearing caps, carrier halves, etc.) so you put everything back where it came from.
- Clean up all of the broken pieces of shrapnel.
- Don't forget to remove the bolt/nut/fender washers from the ends of the locker once you drop the diff into the case
- The safety wire size for the bull gear and bearing cap bolts measured out at 0.062". I ordered a 1 lb spool that meets the military spec. Find the Safety Wire here.
- More pics will be coming soon once my safety wire comes in.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

More pics from the rear locker install.

Notes on the pictures:
- I deburred the inside of each carrier half.
- I had to borrow my buddy's vice to torque the carrier bolts.
- I used 3 torque passes for the carrier bolts (60, 105, 150 ft-lb).
- The locker is from Ouverson Engineering & Machine. It's the Rockwell 16 spline Locker. Find it here.
- Waiting on safety wire and gasket/seals to finish the reassembly.

Note: I won't update my website with this information until I have finished the entire job. I don't put up anything not finished.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Even more installation of the rear locker. Still waiting on safety wire and gaskets.

Notes on the pictures:
- Working on the Rockwell axle is like working on an old tractor = easy.
- I apologize in advance for any millwrights that view these pictures. Harbor freight cheap dial indicator and magbase warning!
- Follow TM9-2320-361-34 Chapter 10 about 99% of the time. There's 1% crap in there.
- Don't forget to align the carrier halves, helical drive gear, bearings, bearing retainers per your marks you made before teardown.
- Don't forget to remove the internal bolt & flat washers from the locker before you get too far in the installation.
- My helical drive gear (i.e. ring gear, bull gear) runout came out to 0.004" with a safe max of 0.008".
- My helical drive gear backlash came out to 0.012" with a safe range of 0.007-0.014".
- I checked backlash in the center of the helical drive gear as well as the edge and came to the same measurement.
- I will be creating a thread on installing a rear locker in a Rockwell axle because not everybody reads this thread about my deuce.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks