• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting without Starting fluid.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What is the air temp when you are trying to start.

Use your preheat for 60 seconds, then start for 20 seconds while holding half to quarter acceleration pedal continue with heat until motor smooths out a little.

If no start, repeat above.

If it is below about 25 you may want to hit the either for about two seconds.

But, If you use either I don't know if you can use preheat. I don't combine preheat with either because of risk of explosion or fire.

I have never had to do the flaming rag thing. Would not like the stuff in my motor and I don't need more injuries.

A better source of info is the operation manual. I bet they are posted on this site

I always hold some pedal (half to quarter throttle) when it's a little cold or I know the machine is slow to start.

One thing for sure, diesels love hot batteries; shinny terminals and cable connections and big fat copper conductors.

If you know its going to be cold for a while I think a diesel anti gel additive is good.

I have filled filter cartridges with half anti-gel and half diesel (super cold and had to roll), but never confirmed this with double blind scientific study.

As far as working on the diesel. Your in luck. It's much easier than those crazy gas things.

If you have compression, and your fuel is getting to the cylinders, and your motor is turning over fast enough, the dam thing is going to go. So be careful ! Don't bypass your safety mechanisms. Make sure you are in neutral with the break on. And make sure no one is standing in front of or behind the truck.

Probably good to check the valve adjustment after the first 100,000 miles.

Change the fuel filters? I don't know, annually if your driving 10k+. But if not stretch it out a little. If your tank is rust you may need to chge the fuel filters more often.

Let us know how the truck acts.

Best to Ya
UHH, no. That info is wrong. On a ford or chevy, that might work, NOT on a deuce.

You are supposed to use your intake heater WHILE CRANKING.

You guys shouldn't post BAD INFO

There is no glow plugs on a deuce.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
today it was almost 50˚ out. the plate on the dash says not to run the pre-heat without cranking. as long as it wont hurt anything i will give it a try tomorrow. even tho i am not familiar with hot the preheat functions, i agree that i wouldn't be wise to use it and ether in the same starting sequence.

you don't have to worry about me bypassing anything let alone safety parts. I don't want to hurt anyone or the truck

it's kind of funny that this truck was originally a Air Force truck because i feel like a pilot just trying to start it.

You really need to know just how the pre-heater on the deuce works before you try to use it with the engine not running. You can read up on it in the manual. The data plate on the dash is correct do not run the pre-heat without the engine turning over. And to use ether when running the pre-heat is really asking for trouble. It is not wise to send ether into a flame, bad things can happen. You will know by the small explosion you hear that you did bad. Many folks will tell you that they have used ether at the same time as using the pre-heat and I suspect many of them have non working pre-heat systems. As the pre-heaters have a high failure rate. A good working pre-heater should start the truck right away.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

Thanks gimpyrobb and maccus. That bit of info was drastically the opposite of what the data plate said. I wasn't going to try anything extreme like that in fear of doing damage to a part i know nothing about.

I am just starting to get overwhelmed with all the TM's and trying to find where to find what.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks gimpyrobb and maccus. That bit of info was drastically the opposite of what the data plate said. I wasn't going to try anything extreme like that in fear of doing damage to a part i know nothing about.

I am just starting to get overwhelmed with all the TM's and trying to find where to find what.
That info would have gotten you in trouble. Start with the -10 manual.

kinghomes

Cold Start

My reply said " best to check the procedure". So my post was not all bad. So can someone tell me how the cold start works on the deuce so I can understand why it requires heat only while turning the motor?

Does it have an actual ignitor that produces a flame while fuel air is drawn past it (like a bullet heater) ? Or, does it just heat the surrounding air?

gimpyrobb

Correct. A nozzle sprays diesel into the intake and a spark plug ignites it to warm the air charge going into the motor. I live in Ohio and I don't use mine. In fact, they are prone to leaking and I reccomend removing them from your motor.

crazywelder72

A fuel injection pump that is not timed properly can cause these symptoms. What color is the exhaust?
White exhaust smoke indicates fuel timing issues. (Improper IP timing, or fuel starvation, cold fuel)
Black exhaust smoke indicates over fueling. (Improper IP calibration, or air restriction. )
i watched the exhaust today once it was running. It is perfectly clear at idle but puffs mild white smoke with a tap on the throttle. Any smoke goes away when the idle evens out. Is this a major issue or normal. I think if it was white constantly that would be a problem but a small light puff would be normal. I'll get a video link up shortly.

islandguydon

Man I just read this entire thread, personally I have never used either and never will in a Diesel. "SAFETY FIRST" is the name of the game.

crazywelder72

Cool. i need to clarify something in my earlier post. When i said i had to give it a 5 second squirt, that was because by the time i walked back around and climbed in (has the 53"s on it), that was the only amount that would get it going. anything less seemed to evaporate by the time i could hit the button. if i am sitting in the cab and i have a second person with the starting fluid it only needs a quick shot to fire it up when i start to crank

gimpyrobb

I usually open the passenger window and spray from there, but I do have the mushroom installed on a 90* pipe so it sticks above the hood.

crazywelder72

i just have the mushroom sticking right out the side. has anyone ever added a straight piece of tube from the cab right into any part of the air intake so you could spray directly into the tube from sitting in the drivers seat? i know it sounds stupid but seems like it would be a easy fix. unless it backfired and shot a flame into the cab. can diesels backfire like a gas motor?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just have the mushroom sticking right out the side. has anyone ever added a straight piece of tube from the cab right into any part of the air intake so you could spray directly into the tube from sitting in the drivers seat? i know it sounds stupid but seems like it would be a easy fix. unless it backfired and shot a flame into the cab. can diesels backfire like a gas motor?
If you have to do this every time, you have something wrong. I've never had to spray in 7 years of owning mine.

mudman

how difficult of a job is that? i would hate to undergo a PIA process and risk making it worse than it is. if the valves were out, would it really be able to still run as good as it was?

I wonder if it just has some querks?
It's not that big of a deal. Just read up on it first. Diesel's will get kinda "Blubbery", they loose that "Diesel crack". It never hurts just to see where you are at with those valves though. Also it just might run better if they are out at all. Good luck!!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is a classic example of why spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important, and why the spelling police are so strident about it.

Do not even use "either" in your motor, ever. Either that or learn to spell simple words that you really need to know like "ether" which is what is in starting fluid. Ether and either are two completely different words with different meanings.

Just look on the can of Starter Fluid and see what it says there for ingredients. Usually contains ether. Either that or something else.

crazywelder72

This thread is a classic example of why spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important, and why the spelling police are so strident about it.

Do not even use "either" in your motor, ever. Either that or learn to spell simple words that you really need to know like "ether" which is what is in starting fluid. Ether and either are two completely different words with different meanings.

Just look on the can of Starter Fluid and see what it says there for ingredients. Usually contains ether. Either that or something else.
:funny:I have always been aware that my spelling is horrible. I truly appreciate your assistance in pointing out the curse of living with A.D.D. that I have had to endure my entire life and how it affected me in school and now this message board.

I usually don't pay much attention to my spelling or give it much thought because most people are capable of understanding the point that the paragraph was about due to its content. Regardless of a few typo's.

Did i spell everything correctly?

I have been told by the local Detroit Diesel mechanics to use either, in amounts as small as you can to get it to fire, >>only while the starter is turning<<.

They warned me of several severe problems that can be caused by spraying either in and then turning the starter. They were, blowing tips off the injectors, Compressing the rods, thus lowering the compression making it harder to start, blowing head gaskets, ect.
I blew 2 tips off the injectors (I had just put them in) and one head gasket. auaaua Fortunately the parts were not expensive. Those 2/71 heads were heavy!
I never checked the rods as doing that requires a complete tear down of the engine and it did continue to start easily enough.

A little spray of gasoline or carburettor cleaner on the air filter is much less abusive to the engine. But a word of caution, have an object handy that you can put over the intake in case you put enough starting agent to cause over speeding the engine. Always use only enough to get it to run on its own fuel supply.

Typically I only use either if the temp is lower than 30 degrees.

My M35A2 (1972) starts with no help down to 25 degrees. It always starts in less than 1.5 seconds of starter use. (Typically 0.5 seconds) Lower than 40 degrees I hold the throttle to the floor untill it fires and hold the engine speed as slow as possible until I see oil pressure then at about 800-1000 rpm for the first minute. It runs smooth in about 30 seconds and the white haze fades away in a minute or so.

e

Mine will start ont he 3rd try in 20-30 degree without giving it any throttle. i dont like to throttle the engine up being they dont make oil pressure on start up. If i give it any ammount of throttle mine will catch right away.

Mine does puff a good bit on a cold start up at idle, clears up eventually.

Ethere is really only supposed to be sprayed while the engine is cranking otherwise your entire intake is a bomb, on a modern deisel with an intercooler, all of the ether goes through the turbo, fills the intercooler, and your intake so diesel engines can WAY over rev not to mention glow plugs will ignite ether on a cylinder with the intake valve open being glow plus all turn on not just a certain cylinder