• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High Priced Deuce!

phil2968

This thread seems to have run its course; however crooked and twisted that was. I did not expect it to go in the direction it did! It was fun for awhile. Pass that popcorn down here!

dittle

Hey dittle,
Don't go comparin him to Frodobaggins (Troll).......that's just not right.....after all....Frodo's truck is still stuck and all........so come on...don't kick a troll when he's down.....I'm tellin ya.....SOME MEMBERS..............:roll:
My apologies go out to Frodo, didn't mean to throw him into the "Bad Troll" stereotype :grin:

bassetdeuce

Good info on the engine.With proper maintenance do you think the Multi. would have the same longevity as the Cat?
I have a lot of respect for the multifuel 465s. They are relatively simple and VERY TOUGH motors, its just probably not a good idea to overrev them. Nobody really knows how many miles they will go, but I'll wager that if you keep up with the multis needs it will outlast you.

CAT 3116s have blown up with <150K miles for medium duty trucks, <600hrs for boats. They are thought of as the throwaway CATs in the commercial truck world.

TexAndy

It just goes to show that people will pay for what they want and that not everyone is a low ball d-bag looking for something for nothing.
I will never understand people who question what others pay for something.
I know this board is full of experts looking for everything they want ant their price, but this thread is ridiculous.
One thing I have learned about MV experts (personally I think they are bunch of gong kicking picture collectors and wanna be bad azzes), if they want it, your stuff is junk and over priced.
If they sell it, it's top of the line and worth every penny.
There's 2 prices for people like this, cheap or free.
And as for whoever buying these turning around and selling them for a profit, so be it. It's called free market economy.
But on here it seems to be want it for free economy.
Yeah, what's up with people like that? :roll::lol:

BugEyeBear

I've been looking into a prelube system for the 109. May build it myself.
I saw a pic of a Deuce on here recently with what looked to be a Oil Pressure Accumulator mounted inside the cab, on the passenger's floor/firewall.

We use these Oil Accumulators in our race cars on the vintage race car circuit to prelube the engines & also to maintain oil pressure during hard cornering.

They work really good & should be pretty easy to install on a Deuce.

I might have to see if I can dig up a spare and rig one up in my M35!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I saw a pic of a Deuce on here recently with what looked to be a Oil Pressure Accumulator mounted inside the cab, on the passenger's floor/firewall.

We use these Oil Accumulators in our race cars on the vintage race car circuit to prelube the engines & also to maintain oil pressure during hard cornering.

They work really good & should be pretty easy to install on a Deuce.

I might have to see if I can dig up a spare and rig one up in my M35!

Keep in mind how much oil the filter cans hold on their own. You will need to not only fill them, but the rest of the oil passages too! Might want to grab 7 or 8 of those accumulators.

This is not meant to offend anyone, just pointing out how much oil would be needed. I know you knew this already, just wanted to sound kinda smart too.

:-x

BugEyeBear

Keep in mind how much oil the filter cans hold on their own. You will need to not only fill them, but the rest of the oil passages too! Might want to grab 7 or 8 of those accumulators.

This is not meant to offend anyone, just pointing out how much oil would be needed. I know you knew this already, just wanted to sound kinda smart too.

:-x
Yeah, I already thought of that...

Figure I'll either need to have a HUGE oil capacity in the accumulator, OR stop the oil filters from draining back into the pan at shutdown.

I thought I read something about one of the spin-on filter conversion kits stopping the oil drain back, but I'll need to check my notes on that...

OTHER OPTION would be an electric pre-oiler....

jollyroger

Jatonka's oil filter adaptor kit ordered with filters comes with the Napa antidrainback filters. I got his primary fuel filter adaptor kit and have not had time to instal it yet. I will post pics and a write up when I do. I am dropping hints about the secondary fuel filter kit and the oil kit for Christmas.

I am wondering if the LDT motor would hold up better if it were precision ballanced like race car motors. Jatonka would proly know as I think he and his son hot rod a deuce for pulling. I have found this ballancing to be greatly helpful with the Dodge flatheads in the M-37's. They are prone to rod failures.

As for the 3116 Cat. A friend of mine got an expensive pusher motorhome and he has had a ton of trouble with the 3116. The 3116 in the A3's may be less sophisticated and accordingly less trouble but I do not have enough time with them to know that for sure.

I have had a lot of experience with the Allison 4 speed autos in medium size tour buses. They seem to hold up very well as long as they stay cool. The only problems we had with them was fluid contamination when the tranny coolers would split in the radiator tank. And they were slushie when shifting.

BugEyeBear

Jatonka's oil filter adaptor kit ordered with filters comes with the Napa antidrainback filters....
Thanks!
That is the kit I was thinking about.
Using antidrainback filters should help to keep the oil accumulator capacity down to something reasonable.

This would also work to keep oil level checks consistent (between the 1 minute check & the 6 hour check).

rlwm211

I put some JATONKAS spin on filters on my deuce. Pressure comes up in less than 3 seconds cold, and almost instantly if it has been run at all.

I think JT has the right idea about how to get oil in the engine the quickest.

Just my two cents

RL

joec

Good info on the engine.With proper maintenance do you think the Multi. would have the same longevity as the Cat?

As long as you use CAT filters on it you will be fine. And put a good fuel conditioner in as well you have "NOTHING" to worry about..! The CAT will out last the Multi. As far as mileage. Just my ...2cents

Lets not get into a Cat vs Multi debate 2 different animals..!

ohnuts

Im miss like the recovery most of all to start with. Have a plan B if the truck wont run and be safe for everyone on the road. Then you climb in and drive six hundred miles in a forty year old monster. If something fails to happen then your driving to fast. Pull off the highway more often, eat more and relax. Something will break and you will get to meet new and interresting people. Like the add says, priceless. Wish I had the room for more.

Thinking of moving.